[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Simeon Rice Calls Gruden a "Scumbag"

The Vatican Hitsquad

Anybody hear this on their drive home? I missed it since I never, ever listen to player interviews on NFL Sirius as they are mostly fluff questions with generic answers. So of course I missed this gem, and I couldn't be more pissed after a 2 hour plus commute in the snow:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/27/...uden-a-scumbag/

SIMEON RICE CALLS JON GRUDEN A SCUMBAG

In a Tuesday interview with Sirius NFL Radio, former Buccaneers defensive end Simeon Rice told Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan of Movin The Chains that Rice believes former Bucs coach Jon Gruden is a scumbag.

You get what you deserve, Rice said. Thats what Jon said. He got it now. Everybody gets what they deserve. . . .

You look at what he did when Chris [simms] damn near died on the field he wanted to release him right when he got injured. I get hurt, my shoulders torn off the bone. This dude releases me. You know what I mean? Im your guy. The list goes on. Keenan McCardell, that situation was a debacle. Keyshawn Johnson, another situation [that] was a debacle. Joey Galloway, which was his man, was in the dog house all year because he got injured, broke his ankle or whatever. Brad Johnson, that situation was bad. Brings Jeff Garcia in here,oh, hes going to change things. I helped recruit him [and he] released me, kept Jeff and then put him in the dog house. Gets rid of Brian Greise, brings him, starts a controversy. It was chaotic. Im giving you facts.

And then Rice gave opinions.

How I feel personally? I could tell you that, too. I think hes a scumbag, Rice said. I think hes a scumbag personally. Thats when hes telling you one thing and You know what he told me? Simeon youll be here in the next five years. I got injured [and] this mans never said one word to me. I won a Super Bowl for you. I got 13 sacks, 12, 15 every year for you. I balled. I got injured [and] you let me go like it was nothing.

Was he drinking? That is kind of a rambling statement.

He helped recruit who? Gruden?

"I helped recruit him [and he] released me, kept Jeff and then put him in the dog house. Gets rid of Brian Greise, brings him, starts a controversy. It was chaotic. Im giving you facts."

"I helped recruit him [and he] released me, kept Jeff and then put him in the dog house. Gets rid of Brian Greise, brings him, starts a controversy. It was chaotic. Im giving you facts."

:wacko: Are you drinking? He was obviously referring to Garcia. I don't see how that was confusing at all.

I think he meant that he helped recruit Garcia.

I find it extremely refreshing to hear somebody actually speak his mind. I get so sick of all this politically correct BS. I just hope he doesn't issue an apology in the coming days.

+1

If more interviews on NFL Sirius were this good I WOULD listen to the player interviews. But they suck for the most part, and I always turn it off for them. That's why I'm pissed.

I get that he's pissed he was released, but does he not understand that this is how the NFL works? Does he think Gruden woulda, coulda kept him on the roster when he couldn't play? Or is he just mad because Gruden didn't sweet talk him when he cut him?

Keep in mind that Simeon Rice was signed and then promptly released by the Colts last year when Freeney suffered that lis franc injury. Without regard to what Gruden may or may not have done, it doesn't sound like Rice had much left in the tank at the time.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I get that he's pissed he was released, but does he not understand that this is how the NFL works? Does he think Gruden woulda, coulda kept him on the roster when he couldn't play? Or is he just mad because Gruden didn't sweet talk him when he cut him?

Agreed, it is a business after all...and Rice had been in it long enough to know that...now if he has issues that are about his personality etc versus the business side of things than that is a bit different but this sounds somewhat like sour grapes...and so what if he helped to recruit Garcia and then got cut...I am sure when Gruden told him he would be there for 4-5 yrs it was under the assumption that he would be healthy and productive

Keep in mind that Simeon Rice was signed and then promptly released by the Colts last year when Freeney suffered that lis franc injury. Without regard to what Gruden may or may not have done, it doesn't sound like Rice had much left in the tank at the time.

keep in mind the line of players wanting to call Gruden a scumbag is a long one.

I give props to Simeon for speaking his mind in the land of the No Fun League................

I got injured [and] you let me go like it was nothing.

Yes Simeon, Gruden should have kept you around once you were deemed injured-goods for the sole purpose of loyalty to you. Nevermind the loyalty to the owners, fans and 52 other teammates of yours that realize that the cap space you were taking up could have been wisely used somewhere else.

Its a business. You were cut. Deal with it. Many other NFL players have had the same thing happen to them, and handled it in a much classier way than to dis their former employer (which si never a good thing regardless of what industry you may work).

Yea, its a tough call. The NFL is so competitive and cut throat that its hard for anybody to really be a man of their word. That doesn't mean Gruden couldn't be a scumbag. It just blurs the line a bit between what is sour grapes and what is real. I think there was a quote in Jim Brown's book that said something similar to: "I love the game, but the game loves no one."

Edited by Square

keep in mind the line of players wanting to call Gruden a scumbag is a long one.

I give props to Simeon for speaking his mind in the land of the No Fun League................

I can believe the accusation that Gruden can be an ass. However, I CANNOT buy Rice's assertion that he can still play. He's failed miserably on at least two teams that I know of.

Yea, its a tough call. The NFL is so competitive and cut throat that its hard for anybody to really be a man of their word. That doesn't mean Gruden couldn't be a scumbag. It just blurs the line a bit between what is sour grapes and what is real. I think there was a quote in Jim Brown's book that said something similar to: "I love the game, but the game loves no one."

Rice knows it's a business and he got to start because he beat someone else out. That's how it works.

His anger says there are deeper issues here. Notice Rice didn't succeed with another team.

Yes Simeon, Gruden should have kept you around once you were deemed injured-goods for the sole purpose of loyalty to you. Nevermind the loyalty to the owners, fans and 52 other teammates of yours that realize that the cap space you were taking up could have been wisely used somewhere else.

Its a business. You were cut. Deal with it. Many other NFL players have had the same thing happen to them, and handled it in a much classier way than to dis their former employer (which si never a good thing regardless of what industry you may work).

oh you're just being a hater, you should give props to Rice for speaking his mind blah blah

:wacko: sour grapes bullsh**. Shut up and play Rice.

oh that's right you can't any more. :D

Edited by BeeR

While Rice might have been a bit out of line with calling him that for the sake of getting cut, the truth is that he brings up good points on everything else. He is a jackass of a coach that the media loves, but thats about it. No one down here likes him... at least none of the Bucs fans I know, and its quite clear a lot of players had many issues with him as well.

Gruden is about the most over rated coach in the league.

While Rice might have been a bit out of line with calling him that for the sake of getting cut, the truth is that he brings up good points on everything else. He is a jackass of a coach that the media loves, but thats about it. No one down here likes him... at least none of the Bucs fans I know, and its quite clear a lot of players had many issues with him as well.

Sounds like a great fit for KC. :wacko:

I wouldn't go that far. Who's overrating him? Most comments I see are like this one. IMO in fact he's actually done more or less a good job in TB, esp given his weak talent level (course that's at least partly his fault too...did they have a GM or was he it?).

I wouldn't go that far. Who's overrating him? Most comments I see are like this one. IMO in fact he's actually done more or less a good job in TB, esp given his weak talent level (course that's at least partly his fault too...did they have a GM or was he it?).

The Bucs gave what, 2 1st round picks for him? How is that NOT over rating him? And yeah, after 7 years, the lack of talent is largely his fault. The GM was the same GM he had in Oakland I think - Bruce Allen.

Who else is over rating him? No offense, but people like you who say he did a "good" job in Tampa. He won a SB with a team Dungy built. That isnt to discredit Gruden really though, because his Oakland team made it to the SB. But once Gruden got his paws on Tampa, they stayed competitve, but thats about it. No playoff wins after the SB, and I think playoffs only 2 times after that.

He never developed a QB, and he was supposed to be an offensive guru. Their offense was never really anythng to be scared of. Now the defense is a whole other story. And that is gonna change a lot because the architect of it is gone.

The Bucs gave what, 2 1st round picks for him? How is that NOT over rating him? And yeah, after 7 years, the lack of talent is largely his fault. The GM was the same GM he had in Oakland I think - Bruce Allen.

Who else is over rating him? No offense, but people like you who say he did a "good" job in Tampa. He won a SB with a team Dungy built. That isnt to discredit Gruden really though, because his Oakland team made it to the SB. But once Gruden got his paws on Tampa, they stayed competitve, but thats about it. No playoff wins after the SB, and I think playoffs only 2 times after that.

He never developed a QB, and he was supposed to be an offensive guru. Their offense was never really anythng to be scared of. Now the defense is a whole other story. And that is gonna change a lot because the architect of it is gone.

:wacko: Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he turn Rich Gannon into a career backup to a mega-stud?

I'm not discounting Rice's opinion of Gruden, because I can definitely see it being fairly accurate.

But Rice is also the guy who disrespected Pat Tillman in a radio interview shortly after Tillman was killed.

Something to the effect of "Tillman was not much of a player". Now he's upset that Gruden didn't speak to him?? Gruden may be an ass, but no doubt Rice is too.

Gruden has not exactly been getting ringing endorsements from former players and the way he handled the Simms situation wqas terrible, but Rice is/was sooooo overrated as a player, he was a one dimensional pass rusher, and a malcontent on every team . So this sounds like alot of Blah Blah Blah that really doesnt change what I thought about either man

Ok. Thats one. One QB doesnt make him a guru at anything. What else did he do?

How about winning a Super Bowl with an over-the-hill Brad Johnson under center?

Gruden isn't a great coach, but it's kind of silly to say that he's not at least a good one. If it weren't for the silly "Tuck Rule," he would've taken two franchises to the Super Bowl. The Raiders went from the cellar to a .500 team to the playoffs during his tenure, and his aging and offensively-deprived Bucs teams still managed to make the playoffs twice after the SB.