[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need some video Camera Help

Cowboyz1

I have been selected to be the video guy for our church. I want to video the services and make DVD's and upload the video to a website so that members can view services online.

I know how to get the video converted and processed once it is taken but I would like some help as far as equipment. I figure I need a good camera that is hopefully USB streaming capable or firewire. Or I could just get a camera with a Flash or Hard Drive then tranfer to my computer.

I am very knowledgeable once the video is on Hard Disk and can be manipulated via computer, however, I have very little experience in actually taking the raw video of the service itself or the equipment should use.

I figure I need a Camera, Tripod, Lighting, Microphone (or will the onboard mic be sufficient as there is little ambient noise and the camera will be within 10ft of the speaker). I don't know much about taking video other then setting it up and pressing record so any input would be very appreciated.

I am in the purchasing phase of this endeavor and would like some input as to get this project started. I have a budget of about $1500 max to get this started.

Anyone out there in video field and know about how to go about doing what I want? Thanks for your help.

I was also considering building a computer with capture card and using a webcam or something to input and capture the services but I think the quality will not be as good as HD cameras.

I have been selected to be the video guy for our church. I want to video the services and make DVD's and upload the video to a website so that members can view services online.

I know how to get the video converted and processed once it is taken but I would like some help as far as equipment. I figure I need a good camera that is hopefully USB streaming capable or firewire. Or I could just get a camera with a Flash or Hard Drive then tranfer to my computer.

I am very knowledgeable once the video is on Hard Disk and can be manipulated via computer, however, I have very little experience in actually taking the raw video of the service itself or the equipment should use.

I figure I need a Camera, Tripod, Lighting, Microphone (or will the onboard mic be sufficient as there is little ambient noise and the camera will be within 10ft of the speaker). I don't know much about taking video other then setting it up and pressing record so any input would be very appreciated.

I am in the purchasing phase of this endeavor and would like some input as to get this project started. I have a budget of about $1500 max to get this started.

Anyone out there in video field and know about how to go about doing what I want? Thanks for your help.

I was also considering building a computer with capture card and using a webcam or something to input and capture the services but I think the quality will not be as good as HD cameras.

Atomic is a great reference here. PM him if he doesn't see this post.

I have a very good friend that has a business doing videos. Mostly commercial and has the expertise to help. But I can't count on him to reply long story. Yes he is my kissing Mexican! :wacko: I could email him your post, but wait for an Atomic reply.

Let me know.

Atomic is a great reference here. PM him if he doesn't see this post.

I have a very good friend that has a business doing videos. Mostly commercial and has the expertise to help. But I can't count on him to reply long story. Yes he is my kissing Mexican! :wacko: I could email him your post, but wait for an Atomic reply.

Let me know.

Thanks, anything you could do would be appreciated. I will PM Atomic.

Don't bother... I found it. :wacko:

So for what you are doing, as long as you don't need to go High-def... I'd just get a DV camera. DV cameras can get dumped into your computer via firewire, and then you have AVI files which you can burn onto DVDs or convert into streaming video.

Look for a semi pro model with a good boom mic and a solid zoom lens. I saw Canon XL-1s used for under a grand recently, and those things are top notch.

Also, instead of looking for cameras that record to a hard drive, you might save some money by not getting a top of the line new camera if you can find one of these things. Or there are other manufacturers of that same thing... like FireStore, Sony, or others. You just plug them into the camera and they record to the hard drive. Recording to a drive is smart if you're shooting more than an hour consistently, because DV tapes are only 1 hour long.

And I'd highly recommend rethinking just using onboard audio. If you don't want to get a full audio setup, you might want to check if you can just tap into the house audio somehow. At least in churches I've been to, the preacher-men wear wireless mics. If you can tap into that for the speaker, and then use the onboard for room audio, you should be ok.

What kind of stuff are you looking at?

Don't bother... I found it. :wacko:

So for what you are doing, as long as you don't need to go High-def... I'd just get a DV camera. DV cameras can get dumped into your computer via firewire, and then you have AVI files which you can burn onto DVDs or convert into streaming video.

Look for a semi pro model with a good boom mic and a solid zoom lens. I saw Canon XL-1s used for under a grand recently, and those things are top notch.

Also, instead of looking for cameras that record to a hard drive, you might save some money by not getting a top of the line new camera if you can find one of these things. Or there are other manufacturers of that same thing... like FireStore, Sony, or others. You just plug them into the camera and they record to the hard drive. Recording to a drive is smart if you're shooting more than an hour consistently, because DV tapes are only 1 hour long.

And I'd highly recommend rethinking just using onboard audio. If you don't want to get a full audio setup, you might want to check if you can just tap into the house audio somehow. At least in churches I've been to, the preacher-men wear wireless mics. If you can tap into that for the speaker, and then use the onboard for room audio, you should be ok.

What kind of stuff are you looking at?

I have been looking at the Canon's, JVC and Sony HD cameras with either large Flash Mem or Hard Drives. I am looking at spending about $600 to $900 on the Camera and then getting a tripod and Mic as it looks like I will need one as you say. I was going to test how the onboard mic works then if the sound is not good enough then go with a mic. I will give you more info as to the specific cameras I am looking at in a bit. I will narrow them down and then post the equipment.

Any advice you have on this topic will be used. If you have some sites I should check out for equipment or instruction let me have it. I am all ears. Well fingers and eyes to be exact. :D

I have been looking at the Canon's, JVC and Sony HD cameras with either large Flash Mem or Hard Drives. I am looking at spending about $600 to $900 on the Camera and then getting a tripod and Mic as it looks like I will need one as you say. I was going to test how the onboard mic works then if the sound is not good enough then go with a mic. I will give you more info as to the specific cameras I am looking at in a bit. I will narrow them down and then post the equipment.

Any advice you have on this topic will be used. If you have some sites I should check out for equipment or instruction let me have it. I am all ears. Well fingers and eyes to be exact. :wacko:

"Audio is half the picture" - check out your church's PA system and see where the Audio Out plugs are, and look for a camera you can connect it to through its "Audio In" - the better camera should have RCA ins, but you could do well with a regular headset jack, as ong as the input is adjustable to avoid distortion. They key is getting the best audio onto that one tape, because you don't want to hassle with a syncing process from a separate audio recording made at the same time. Too many steps in what needs to be a steamlined process for you...

"Audio is half the picture" - check out your church's PA system and see where the Audio Out plugs are, and look for a camera you can connect it to through its "Audio In" - the better camera should have RCA ins, but you could do well with a regular headset jack, as ong as the input is adjustable to avoid distortion. They key is getting the best audio onto that one tape, because you don't want to hassle with a syncing process from a separate audio recording made at the same time. Too many steps in what needs to be a steamlined process for you...

Cool, that is exactly what I am learning. Getting it onto one media at the same time Audio and Video avoids hassles. I am leaning towards one of the Canon or Sony HD camcorders with Flash or Hard Drive. Also looking at USB streaming but not absolutley necessary as the newer models are not going USB but firewire and HDMI.

I will post the narrowed down cameras and equip soon.

Thanks for your input.

I can't speak much about the video part, but for the audio you can use any laptop to get an excellent audio capture. If as Pope says, you can get to the audio out plugs of the church's sound system, you can use some free software called Audacity to capture and edit the audio. It will save to any audio format you need for synching to the video after the fact. Just plug the audio out from the sound system into the "line in" on your computer and you should be ready to rock.

I am leaning towards one of the Canon or Sony HD camcorders with Flash or Hard Drive.

Do you have a link? It's been a while since I looked at new cameras, and I'm curious what they are making in flash/disk cameras. It used to only be the highest end or some weirdo cam with odd features, but I imagine that has changed.

CEO and the guys that know about this stuff can chime in but KEH, B&H and Adorama have used stuff that might allow for you to get a bit more than you would buying new.

KEH: http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductList...p;GBC=&GCC=

B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/2935/Ca...%3A+A+to+Z/pn/1

Adorama: site is currently down for updating :wacko:

EDIT: you may also want to look into renting...this site is very well respected at the Canon Forums I frequent..

http://www.lensrentals.com/category/camera...rders/for-video

Sony HVR-Z7U HDV Camcorder $280 for 7 Days

Review

Sony PMW-EX1 $420 for 7 days

Review

Canon VIXIA HG21 Camcorder $90 for 7 days

Review

also if you get one of these larger format cameras (heck any camera for that matter) make sure you get a SOLID Tripod...if i were you I would go to a local camera shop and tell them it is for a church event and see if they are willing to lend, rent or even donate one...make sure they know what you are using it for and the weight of the rig too.

Edited by keggerz

I just bought a Cannon GL2 with an bilk accessories package off ebay for $1800. You can get pretty sofisticated with the audio, but I am using it for amatuer outdoor hunting. It's a pretty damn good camera.

Do you have a link? It's been a while since I looked at new cameras, and I'm curious what they are making in flash/disk cameras. It used to only be the highest end or some weirdo cam with odd features, but I imagine that has changed.

basically every video camera now, from high end to low, comes in a hard disk model. to me they make more sense than something where you're swapping media. especially for the type of purpose the original post is describing.

one more comment for the original poster....you may not want to worry about getting a high definition camera. if the purpose is making dvd archives and uploading to a website, if you capture in HD (probably 1080i) you're probably going to be downsampling before you do any of those things anyway. video DVD has to be downsampled to MPEG2 (480i), and you would be looking at HUGH uploads to put significant amounts of HD video online. but if you got a standard def hard disk camera, it would probably capture straight to MPEG2, which would mean no conversion at all going to DVD.

The mrs and I bought a HD Canon camera to record our wedding ceremony last May. We used a tripod, set the camera up in the balcony, and just hit record. We didn't use any special audio equipment or plug into the church system in any way. The audio on the instruments and pastors, both miked, was fine recording from the church speakers. You can't hear us do the vows though since we are not wired. The video seems pretty solid to me via mini-HDMI hooked into my HDTV.

Transferring data to the laptop can take a while. IIRC, with the camera set on the highest quality settings, about 1.5 hours (unedited) was ~10-12 GB and took 20 minutes to transfer to the laptop for editing. That reminds me I never did get around to burning it onto a DVD.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

You guys this is awesome info. thanks so much. I am reading and reading and reading. I will post my findings tonight so you all can put in your two cents. Keep it coming though thank you.

You guys are great. I always loved this site.

You guys this is awesome info. thanks so much. I am reading and reading and reading. I will post my findings tonight so you all can put in your two cents. Keep it coming though thank you.

You guys are great. I always loved this site.

One other thing and it can be a trip up: be sure to make sure that whatever software you're using to edit will work with the format your camera outputs. I usually run in hi end stuff, but I'd be willing to bet some camera either compress HD footage in a manner some systems might have trouble reading, or not compress them enough resulting in files that are too large to be handled by your processors. that's a heads up! for sure...

Here is one package I am looking at.

Promo Code: Sony Remote Commander (Silver) more info

MFR #RM-AV2 • B&H #SORMAV2

Our Price:

$39.95

Sub Total:

$39.95

Quantity:

Remove:

Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging 785B Modo Maxi Tripod with Pistol Grip Ball Head (Quick Release) - ... more info

MFR #785B • B&H #BO785B Free Shipping

Our Price:

$59.00

Sub Total:

$59.00

Quantity:

Remove:

View Accessories Pearstone VT-2000 Consumer Tripod System with Case more info

MFR #VT2000 • B&H #PEVT2000

Our Price:

$59.95

Sub Total:

$59.95

Quantity:

Remove:

View Accessories SanDisk 4GB Video HD Memory Stick PRO Duo Memory Card more info

MFR #SDMSPDHV-004GR • B&H #SAMSPDVHD4GB

Our Price:

$31.95

Sub Total:

$31.95

Quantity:

Remove:

View Accessories Lowepro Edit 110 Camera Shoulder Bag - Black more info

MFR #LP34683-0EF • B&H #LOE110B

Our Price:

$19.95

Sub Total:

$19.95

Quantity:

Remove:

View Accessories Sony HDR-CX12 High Definition AVCHD Camcorder more info

MFR #HDR-CX12 • B&H #SOHDRCX12 Free Shipping

Our Price:

$689.95

Sub Total:

$689.95

Quantity:

Remove:

closeSageMax Protection Plan from N.E.W is ranked the #1 Certified Call Center in the service plan industry 3 years in a row by J.D Power & Assoc.

Coverage and Benefits:

Accidental damage from handling covered for portable devices*

Click for details

Failures caused by heat, dust, & humidity covered

Receive a check for full purchase price including sales tax if it can't be fixed

No registration necessary

Free shipping to and from our service centers

Transferable at NO charge

Available for US and International customers (not valid in Florida and Oklahoma)

International customers call collect Click for details

A check for the full purchase price plus tax will be issued for eligible items. See Terms and Conditions for details.

Visit SageMax Protection Plan for additional information.

3-Year Protection Plan : $95.99

5-Year Protection Plan : $191.98

View Accessories View Protection Plans Shipping Information

Our Return Policy

Your Privacy and Security

Setup a B&H Tax Exempt Account

Close

Tax Exempt Purchasing

Government, education, non-profit organizations, public charities, churches and other religious organizations usually qualify for tax-exempt purchases. Once approved, customers may make tax-exempt purchases on behalf of their organizations online at www.BHPhotoVideo.com.

To Apply for a Tax-Exempt account, please call Customer Service at 1.800.606.6969.

SubTotal: $900.75

Tax: Enter Zip Code

Shipping: Enter Zip Code

Shipping Discount Applied :

Total: $ 900.75

If you're not sure which is the right one, try checking the camcorder ratings of the different brands. It's a nice way to get acquainted with certain items thereby making the choice a lot easier. Knowing the pros and cons is a good way of getting the best value for the budget.

Good luck.

Ok Here is what I going to do. I have figured out that the accessories really are the same so I won't really go into them. But I have narrowed the camera's down to these four

1. Sony HDR-CX12

2. Canon Vixia HG20

3. Canon Vixia HF100

4. Sony Handycam HDR-SR11

The pricing is about the same for each. I like number 1. because of the flash card which allows for flexible transfer of media. However, it only hooks up to USB through it's dock so I would need to use a flash reader or Dock it in order to transfer.

I like the other Sony also number 4. because it has of it's 60 gb hard drive but, if the Hard drive fails then no backup. I can always get more memory with cards so I think I am going to eliminate this one for lack of flexability.

Also the #1 gives me excellent low ligjht performance and zoom microphone which captures in 5.1 dolby sound.

Unless you guys have any other input I am going to buy the Sony HDR-CX12 with a big flash card, as it comes with 4GB. From what I can tell from everything you all wrote,

The important thing is that I can video in HD and Standard formats and with the software that comes with the Sony I can one touch burn DVD's with it. Also audio is important so this camera allows for mic and has HDMI and USB transfer capabilites.

Thanks for all your help guys. I really appreciate your input and steering my in the right direction.

Please let me know if you think I am missing anything.

So here is what I ended up getting. Thanks for all your help. I am really happy with what I was able to get for the price. Thanks again You guys are great. I am going to also pick up a 16gb memory stick.

1 SON HDRCX12 Sony HDR-CX12 High Definition Handycam® Camcorder

1 DAS EXPLORERV Davis & Sanford Vista EXPLORER V Tripod with Bag

1 SON MSMT8G Sony MS-MT8G 8GB Mark 2 Memory Stick® Pro Duo

1 SON LCSX30 Sony LCS-X30 Soft Carrying Case

1 MEM DVD+R85-50 Memorex 3202-5732 8x DVD+R Double Layer 50 Pack Spindle

1 SON 100DPR47LS4 Sony 100DPR47LS4 16X DVD+R Recordable DVD Media

1 SAD SDDR99A16 Sandisk SDDR-99-A16 Image Mate Card Reader

Ln# Item SKU Description Quantity Price$ Total$

--- --------------- -------------------- -------- --------- ----------

1. SON HDRCX12 HI DEF MEMORY STICK 1 749.00 749.00

2. DAS EXPLORERV VISTA EXPLORER TRIPO 1 34.99 34.99

3. SON MSMT8G SON 8GB MS PRO DUO ( 1 49.99 49.99