[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HUDDLERS' 2009 NFL MOCK DRAFT!

irish

I have the Jets pick ready as soon as the Bills' reps make their pick. Now fellas be nice and don't take my guy.

ETA: I have talked to Satellite and the pick will be in tonight. As I said I have the Jets' pick and will make it when I get back from dinner and running a few errands.

Edited by irish

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took at look at the 49ers biggest areas of need and then at the available rookie talent at those positions of need. I was able to narrow it down to 2 players as I feel the Niners could upgrade their defensive backfiled. Mark Roman the FS from last year was getting a little long in the tooth and was really beginning to suck big moose twig. He hasn't intercepted a pass or forced a fumble since '06. He has obviously lost a step and has blown his far share of coverages more recently. SS Michael Lewis is fair enough in run support but is inconsistent, at best, in coverage. Rashad Johnson should come in and be able to start at FS right away. He reads coverages and uses the field well. He has solid instincts, footwork, hands, ball skills and takes good angles. He attacks the ball like a WR, is very competitive and can be a game-changer. He is a reliable tackler and has good football smarts as he was put in the position to make the secondary calls, lining up the defense. He has also stood out on Special Teams and was a two-time captain. The couple issues with him are his ability to stay healthy as he is slight-framed and if he hits the weight room and builds up a bit he could be a very solid Pro.

Satelliteoflovegm and peepinmofo are on the clock selecting for the Bills here in the 3rd round.

I was thinking that I might have been asked to make the 49ers pick and I had Rashad in this spot too :wacko:

I was thinking that I might have been asked to make the 49ers pick and I had Rashad in this spot too :wacko:

Not that I'd be shocked by that but you really did? He's the perfect fit for them IMO.

I sure did. After researching him a little closer I think he might have been a better pick than Clemons who I selected earlier for my Hawks :wacko:

I had Rashad Johnson as the #2 overall safety and Clemons as the #22 overall safety so probably. But hey, you never know how this stuff will play out. Many have different opinions on guys.

The Jets are thrilled to get Jairus Byrd here as he has very solid size for a CB. He understands the game and plays smart. He's aware of routes being run and supports the run very well. He's a solid tackler with good eyes, zone awareness, and instincts. He anticipates and reacts to the ball well and possesses solid hands making over the shoulder grabs or just stabbing it out of the air. He has terrific work ethic and can also assist in the return game. He should develop into a solid #2 CB or potential FS.

Negatives- He does not possess top end speed, acceleration or great long speed. He lets receivers close on his cushion too quickly and he could be a bit more agressive shedding blockers and making hits.

Great pick for the Jets overall.

Edited by irish

MTsuper7 is currently on the clock selecting for the Texans here in round 3. I have Pm'd him along with Taz and Opie.

The Jets are thrilled to get Jairus Byrd here as he has very solid size for a CB. He understands the game and plays smart. He's aware of routes being run and supports the run very well. He's a solid tackler with good eyes, zone awareness, and instincts. He anticipates and reacts to the ball well and possesses solid hands making over the shoulder grabs or just stabbing it out of the air. He has terrific work ethic and can also assist in the return game. He should develop into a solid #2 CB or potential FS.

Negatives- He does not possess top end speed, acceleration or great long speed. He lets receivers close on his cushion too quickly and he could be a bit more agressive shedding blockers and making hits.

Great pick for the Jets overall.

I was looking at Byrd with this pick as well.

I was looking at Byrd with this pick as well.

Yeah, I like him a bunch as he's a pretty solid player. I was deciding between him and one other CB for the Jet pick. I prefered Byrd's size, ball skills and the fact that he had less durability concerns but the other player is solid as well and actually a tad faster.

Edited by irish

Yeah, I like him a bunch as he's a pretty solid player. I was deciding between him and one other CB for the Jet pick. I prefered Byrd's size, ball skills and the fact that he had less durability concerns but the other player is solid as well and actually a tad faster.

I'll probably be picking him with this next pick :wacko:

I'll probably be picking him with this next pick :wacko:

I'm intrigued...

zzzzzzzzzzzz

It's only been about 7 hours since the last pick and with the Cowboy crew taking about 30 hours and the Eagles taking over 40, I'd say that we need to give MT a bit more time. Then I'll step in.

It's only been about 7 hours since the last pick and with the Cowboy crew taking about 30 hours and the Eagles taking over 40, I'd say that we need to give MT a bit more time. Then I'll step in.

I'm just ribbing a fellow league mate. I'm probably the most impatient drafter on these boards so its much ado about nothing. :wacko:

Taz is currently on the clock selecting for the Chargers.

It's been 5 minutes since the last pick and Taz is nowhere to be found. What the hell?!? I may have to step in soon.

Sorry for the slight delay... Now regarding my pick. I have Rashad Jennings as the #5 RB in the draft behind Wells, Moreno, Brown, and McCoy. He's a workhorse back with good speed for his size, and I think the Texans feel good about getting him in the middle of the 3rd round. They never intended Slaton to carry the load, and Kubiak has been quite up front about his desire to find another RB to pair with Slaton. Jennings will be a great fit for this offense.

I did consider OLB here, but feel like Jennings is a nice value here and does fill a need. OLB is probably a more urgent need though...

Sorry for the slight delay... Now regarding my pick. I have Rashad Jennings as the #5 RB in the draft behind Wells, Moreno, Brown, and McCoy. He's a workhorse back with good speed for his size, and I think the Texans feel good about getting him in the middle of the 3rd round. They never intended Slaton to carry the load, and Kubiak has been quite up front about his desire to find another RB to pair with Slaton. Jennings will be a great fit for this offense.

I did consider OLB here, but feel like Jennings is a nice value here and does fill a need. OLB is probably a more urgent need though...

Certainly not a bad pick as he does fit what the Texans want to do. However, you have him as the #5 RB? What about a guy like Andre Brown who would also fit the bill and IMO is a more complete RB? Or another guy like Shonn Greene who would also fit the bil, where do you rank him? I also have a few others ranked higher than Jennings but they wouldn't fill the proper role.

Chargers get outstanding value at this point of the draft in Pegues. Derek is an extremely gifted athlete that possesses fantastic coverage awareness, toughness and instincts and would push for an opening day starting spot right out of the gate. Pegues is a hard hitting safety and fills a huge hole in the Chargers secondary. Pegues could step in and spell KR/PR duties as well.

Chargers get outstanding value at this point of the draft in Pegues. Derek is an extremely gifted athlete that possesses fantastic coverage awareness, toughness and instincts and would push for an opening day starting spot right out of the gate. Pegues is a hard hitting safety and fills a huge hole in the Chargers secondary. Pegues could step in and spell KR/PR duties as well.

I'm going to have to say that I disagree with getting outstanding value here and call it more of a reach. IMO, Pegues is at best a 4th round value and I feel there were several other safeties that would've made for a better value pick. That's why doing these are great because of the varying opinions.

Edited by irish

I'm going to have to say that I disagree with getting outstanding value here and call it more of a reach. IMO, Pegues is at best a 4th round value and I feel there were several other safeties that would've made for a better value pick. That's why doing these are great because of the varying opinions.

Thats cool bro lol. He's listed as the 3rd best safety on more than one scouting website and is also ranked in the top 40 overall in 2 extremely prominent scouting pages. We'll see where he goes in the actual draft to see if I actually did my homework :wacko:

Certainly not a bad pick as he does fit what the Texans want to do. However, you have him as the #5 RB? What about a guy like Andre Brown who would also fit the bill and IMO is a more complete RB? Or another guy like Shonn Greene who would also fit the bil, where do you rank him? I also have a few others ranked higher than Jennings but they wouldn't fill the proper role.

Greene and Brown are next on my rankings, and truthfully it is a bit of a toss up here. Jennings doesn't get a whole lot of press having played for a smaller school, but I just like him a little bit more. Maybe Kubiak and Co. like Greene a little more. Or Brown. They're all kind of packed into a similar group to me.

Greene and Brown are next on my rankings, and truthfully it is a bit of a toss up here. Jennings doesn't get a whole lot of press having played for a smaller school, but I just like him a little bit more. Maybe Kubiak and Co. like Greene a little more. Or Brown. They're all kind of packed into a similar group to me.

I hear ya. And this is exactly what I was saying with Taz, the fact that what makes it great is all the varying opinions. Imagine how nerve-racking it is for NFL front offices to have to make the choices while they fear that they're choosing the wrong guy and leaving a better option out there for their competition to draft.

You always bring up this reach stuff. Many of these players are close in talent and waiting for them to be there 32 picks later is a reach in my opinion.

Greg Jennings was a reach too and Chad Jackson wasn't. Teams take players they like and if they have to take them a tad early so what.

In a real draft we'd trade down and get players later that we like but we can't do that here. Take that into account.

Edited by Randall

I don't believe the Broncos did all that much in FA. I know I took a DT in the first round, but I believe that the scheme calls for a regular rotation and I don't believe we have all that much on the line. Every time I read something, it's about considering moving a DL to LB :wacko:

I think this kid could play DE if needed or just work the rotation to provide a consistent solid effort up the middle.

So there it is.

EDIT: yes, the pick was based on need and not BPA.

Solid pick. This guy is a DT for sure and will more than likely be a developmental three-technigue. The Broncos and their new D, being that they'll be transitioning to the 3-4, will be trying to catch the opposition off guard by blitzing and showing a variety of different looks. Marks will thrive playing in the scheme where he is slanting, stunting and being on the move.

WashingtonD is on the clock selecting for the Redskins.