[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Input from hunters welcome / needed

muck

I doubt there are 31 acres in the north woods with thicker vegetation than where I hunt. Im actually pretty sure there aren't 31 acres in the sotuh thicker than that jungle. I'm having a hard time trying to hire a dozer to work on it.

then how do you get a clear shot, with absolutely no twigs, trees, shrubs, etc in the way of a shot over 25 yards? or do you cut shooting lanes? cant do that here. well at least you are not supposed to .

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

then how do you get a clear shot, with absolutely no twigs, trees, shrubs, etc in the way of a shot over 25 yards? or do you cut shooting lanes? cant do that here. well at least you are not supposed to .

To be honest without cutting shooting lanes or shooting down the road (private lane) you couldnt get close enough for a shot with a fully automatic belt fed 10 gauge. Ill make some pics of it sometime and post here. In most spots you can't see over 5 feet in the summer, 75 in winter.

To be honest without cutting shooting lanes or shooting down the road (private lane) you couldnt get close enough for a shot with a fully automatic belt fed 10 gauge. Ill make some pics of it sometime and post here. In most spots you can't see over 5 feet in the summer, 75 in winter.

thats about what i hunt in in northern MN . 75 yards is a long shot most deer are killed at 1 to 50 yards

thats about what i hunt in in northern MN . 75 yards is a long shot most deer are killed at 1 to 50 yards

It will take me several hours of work with machete to open a 100 yd lane up. I was out there the other day and was within 50' of several deer and never laid eyes on them. I doubt they saw me either. It sounded like 50 sasquatch running away from me. I ain't gonna lie, it startled me and got my heart rate up pretty quickly.

It will take me several hours of work with machete to open a 100 yd lane up. I was out there the other day and was within 50' of several deer and never laid eyes on them. I doubt they saw me either. It sounded like 50 sasquatch running away from me. I ain't gonna lie, it startled me and got my heart rate up pretty quickly.

Yep, you hear one of them snort off behind you and it will make you jump.

dont make the lanes to large. the big bucks will not cross them if they are to wide.

dont make the lanes to large. the big bucks will not cross them if they are to wide.

They really dont have an option about crossing them. The lane is set up between mineral block/food, and water source. Actually it has been my experience here that when you cut a trail they begin using it for travel as it is far easier than tearing through the brush with antlers on, but I get what you say.

They really dont have an option about crossing them. The lane is set up between mineral block/food, and water source. Actually it has been my experience here that when you cut a trail they begin using it for travel as it is far easier than tearing through the brush with antlers on, but I get what you say.

Deer are very lazy about taking the path of least resistance. If they're not being pursued by something they naturally look for the easiest route to food/bed. That all changes when the rut starts though. my little buddy will get you shot everytime.

"My little buddy" is the filter for pussy now? That's awesome!

Edited by The Holy Roller

Deer are very lazy about taking the path of least resistance. If they're not being pursued by something they naturally look for the easiest route to food/bed. That all changes when the rut starts though. my little buddy will get you shot everytime.

"My little buddy" is the filter for pussy now? That's awesome!

up here you may be able to shoot a large 5 year old buck in a cleared lane for about the first 5 minutes of gun season or after dark.

up here you may be able to shoot a large 5 year old buck in a cleared lane for about the first 5 minutes of gun season or after dark.

When I say cleared lane I'm talking maybe as wide as my body. You are looking at about one hour of chopping per 100' of line here.