[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

MLB09: The Show on PS3

Menudo

As I've gotten older, the only video games I like to play are sports sims. I want them to be as realistic as possible. I'm doing the "Road To The Show" on MLB09 The Show for PS3, and all I can say is WOW !!!!! It is a first-person perspecitve. The game also has franchise and other features, which seem great as well, but, I'm hooked on the "RTTS" portion. Here is a rundown of how it has worked. I'm playing on the easiest level, as this is my first time with this game since switching from MLB2K9 on Xbox 360:

I created a player with my son's name Adian Vincent (I used his middle name as his last name, as the game actually announces it, and my last name wasn't available). I made him a SS with the ability to play all infield positions. He is 21 years old on the game. My player was drafted by the Houston Astros.

In the first spring, they get you a lot of playing time to decide where to place you. Now, remember, I'm on the easiest level, so, I'm probably doing this quicker than usual. I hit around .290 that Spring. The game only has you play when your at-bat, or if the ball is hit to you on defense, or when you are on the bases. It sims everything else. It has actual Spring training fields and uniforms.

After a decent spring, I was sent to the Corpas Christi Hooks, the AA team for the Astros. I was a backup SS and utility infielder, getting spot starts for a while. I was hitting well over .300 in limited play, and using the interactions screens, I kept asking my coach to move me to a starting position. After being turned down several times, they finally gave in and I became the starting SS. I played the whole season in AA, ending up hitting .328 (4th in the league) with 8 HR's and 65 RBI. ( I separated my shoulder with a week to go in the season and was placed on the DL)

My contract was then bought out in the off-season and I was added to the 40-man roster of the Astros. During the spring, I only pinched-hit and was sometimes a defensive replacement. I only got one start the entire spring, and that was the 2nd to last game. I hit .333 in the spring in limited play. The season started and the Astros bought my contract and payed me the league minimum. I had made the majors as a utility infielder. I didn't get any playing time during the first three games, and then in the 4th game of the season, I got the start. It was so cool to see my player in Minute Maid Park (or whatever its called now). My first defense play was handling a grounder at SS off of Pujols bat. Then, in my first AB, I grounded out. In my 4th AB, I got my first big-league hit, and they mentioned that they were keeping the ball, as it was my guy's first hit.

I know this sounds silly, getting into a video game like this. However, I think they are great escapes from the stress of the real world, and this game is the best experience I've ever had with a video game. It is simply awesome !!!!

I wish they made it for the xbox. I have both systems but I prefer the xbox.

I have both now too. I bought the PS3 for the Blu-Ray and this game specifically.

Cranked my first big league HR. A 3 run shot to right field off of Carlos Zambrano. About 3 weeks in with limited playing time, I'm hitting a robust .430 with a homer and 6 RBI. It is probably time to up the difficulty, but, this is too much fun right now.

Couldn't have said it better. I too wish they made it for the Xbox as I have both systems, but hate to play games on the PS3

Count me in on that as well. I like the system and controller better on Xbox.