[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any diabetics out there?

Jimmy Neutron

Had a follow up today - A1C is down to 6.4 and dropped 10 lbs in 3 weeks. I pretty much rawk.

Doc said I'd likely not need meds more than 3 months if I keep my diet as is and hit/maintain my target weight. :wacko:

Great news, Jimmy!! Keep up the good work.

Had a follow up today - A1C is down to 6.4 and dropped 10 lbs in 3 weeks. I pretty much rawk.

Doc said I'd likely not need meds more than 3 months if I keep my diet as is and hit/maintain my target weight. :D

Great news!!! Keep up the good work, Jimmy!!!! :wacko:

Doc said I'd likely not need meds more than 3 months if I keep my diet as is and hit/maintain my target weight. :wacko:

Mine said that when I was 9.1, placed in insulin, came back in 3 months @ 6.0, then told me that I would remain on it, period. Be prepared to be told what is needed at the time. He is only trying to help prolong your life, so it's all good.

Mine said that when I was 9.1, placed in insulin, came back in 3 months @ 6.0, then told me that I would remain on it, period. Be prepared to be told what is needed at the time. He is only trying to help prolong your life, so it's all good.

:wacko:He put you on insulin with an A1C of 6.0 with Type 2?

I work with a ton of diabetics and see their medical records. Diabetes is very treatable but human nature and the significant effort it takes for diabetics to follow their doctors instructions seems to be their biggest problems as a group. Non compliance with diet, exercise, medications, sugar monitoring, not taking the slightest nick or cut to their feet seirously. Those that are committed do very well those that don't not so much.

The follwoing is 100% true. I've been sending a mass mailer to a couple of thousand diabetics. We get about 80 letters a day back return to sender. About half have old addresses because of thechanges from rural route addresses to street adresses for 911 but about 1/2 come back as deceased and everyone I mailed it to was alive in late 2006. I'm sure you have the car crashes, autoerotic asphixiations (sp?) and heroin overdoeses in there too but I'd be willing to be a ton remained non-compliant as well. It's a shame becasue again, the people that follow their doctors orders sem to fare very well.

Diabetes is not a death sentence by any means but not listening to your doctor is probably a death wish. I wish you the best of health my friend.

:wacko:He put you on insulin with an A1C of 6.0 with Type 2?

No, 9.1, but I was told insulin was "most likely" temporary. After three months of taking shots, it was down to 6.0, at which time I was told that I needed to incorporate the use of insulin into my routine.

I work with a ton of diabetics and see their medical records. Diabetes is very treatable but human nature and the significant effort it takes for diabetics to follow their doctors instructions seems to be their biggest problems as a group. Non compliance with diet, exercise, medications, sugar monitoring, not taking the slightest nick or cut to their feet seirously. Those that are committed do very well those that don't not so much.

The follwoing is 100% true. I've been sending a mass mailer to a couple of thousand diabetics. We get about 80 letters a day back return to sender. About half have old addresses because of thechanges from rural route addresses to street adresses for 911 but about 1/2 come back as deceased and everyone I mailed it to was alive in late 2006. I'm sure you have the car crashes, autoerotic asphixiations (sp?) and heroin overdoeses in there too but I'd be willing to be a ton remained non-compliant as well. It's a shame becasue again, the people that follow their doctors orders sem to fare very well.

Diabetes is not a death sentence by any means but not listening to your doctor is probably a death wish. I wish you the best of health my friend.

Yeah, one reason I am taking this very seriously is that I see of lot of diabetics in the dialysis business. Far too many people fail to treat the disease and pay a dear price for it. If only all diseases were as managable....

Thanks for your thoughts.

Turns out I couldn't afford the nutritionist appointment, but I did go see the doc today...

I lost 16 pounds, all based on diet. I have done 15 push ups and sit ups, seriously, that's all the extra exercise I've done. I do some walking around campus and parking sucks, I'd say I walk about 2 miles a day, maybe a quarter mile from where I have to park to my first class is the longest single stretch.

I have another related medical issue that doesn't help when it comes to exercise, Doc says if I lose a little more weight and keep my blood sugar under control we can tackle that next.

I do drink about 140-150 oz per day of water, I drink a full 1 liter bottle before breakfast everyday, another before lunch, one more before dinner and one mare before bed.

I'm taking a giant fish oil supplement, and a multi-vitamin.

There is low carb pasta too, it's called "Dreamfields" it's not too spendy, and it tastes fine. I can't eat it all the time, but it does help me to be able to still eat some of my favorite dishes from time to time and keep my spirits up diet wise.

I also was told to eat unsalted peanuts, and to buy Adam's brand peanut butter, you have to stir it, but it tastes better than regular peanut butter IMO.

I have another follow up in two months, hopefully I'll have more good news then.

...and you keep fighting the good fight Jimmy. :D Well done :wacko:

-DD21

Turns out I couldn't afford the nutritionist appointment, but I did go see the doc today...

I lost 16 pounds, all based on diet. I have done 15 push ups and sit ups, seriously, that's all the extra exercise I've done. I do some walking around campus and parking sucks, I'd say I walk about 2 miles a day, maybe a quarter mile from where I have to park to my first class is the longest single stretch.

I have another related medical issue that doesn't help when it comes to exercise, Doc says if I lose a little more weight and keep my blood sugar under control we can tackle that next.

I do drink about 140-150 oz per day of water, I drink a full 1 liter bottle before breakfast everyday, another before lunch, one more before dinner and one mare before bed.

I'm taking a giant fish oil supplement, and a multi-vitamin.

There is low carb pasta too, it's called "Dreamfields" it's not too spendy, and it tastes fine. I can't eat it all the time, but it does help me to be able to still eat some of my favorite dishes from time to time and keep my spirits up diet wise.

I also was told to eat unsalted peanuts, and to buy Adam's brand peanut butter, you have to stir it, but it tastes better than regular peanut butter IMO.

I have another follow up in two months, hopefully I'll have more good news then.

...and you keep fighting the good fight Jimmy. :D Well done :D

-DD21

The last few days were tough being in Dallas - land of the 9 lb. steaks. I managed to get by on fish and shrimp and a few too tasty appetizers.

I'll have to try the Dreamfields pasta - thanks for the tip.

I'm all over the natural peanut butter and raw peanuts - had them for breakfast today. :D

Keep up the good work - to both our healths :wacko: