[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Knocking on wood...

detlef

I am riding a lucky streak of hearing, "It's not going to be cheap..." and then learning that, well, actually, it is going to be pretty damned cheap.

Last week I went to look at a different point of sale system for my new restaurant than the one that I'm using and hate for my current restaurant. Everything about was better, certainly including the hardware. Specifically with regards to the hardware they continually mentioned that "it may cost a bit more up front but they draw less energy and are more durable"

So, the entire time, I'm just bracing for the blow, hating the thought that I just might not be able to fit this system that I was salivating over into my budget. Turns out, it's a few grand less than what I paid for the piece of crap I'm using. :wacko:

Same day, I went to check out some used equipment from a local guy. Tons of stuff that was exactly what I needed and in really nice shape. He kept reminding me that considering the fine condition, he wasn't going to give it away. I get the bid, and, across the board, it's cheaper than some pretty marginal stuff I looked at just the previous week.

On to the HVAC. My current place has two systems that each run half the restaurant. One has been an ongoing hassle that nobody has been able to figure out. Instead, they just spend my money taking stabs in the dark only to see it all fry again. A carpenter friend of mine told me he knows this old timer who's like a HVAC genius and I gave him a call. Sounds like he figured the entire thing out but cautioned me that he was going to have to replace a ton of stuff and add components that should have been there all along and are the culprits for why it's continually shorting and burning up.

"It's not going to be cheap." Of course I know this and start lubing up for some number far closer to 5 digits than I'd like. Not even close and way less than everyone else. Turns out he actually has a day job working for Duke U and is a family friend of my buddies so he just sort of does this thing on the side by referral and doesn't mark up parts.

It was a good week. All in all, between the three things, I likely saved about $15000.

:D $$$$ :D

Now take the extra $ and buy a good bottle of wine! :wacko:

I'd love to but I'm guessing I'll end up spending it on one of the inevitable complications that is going to arise during build out. The fates giveth and the fates taketh away.

You're obviously not doing your part to stimulate the economy.

:wacko:

You know though, it's a funny thing and one I think about a lot. Much is made about how "stimulative" this program or that program is and it dawns on me that actually doing the right thing is often not very stimulative. Like, for instance, buying a perfectly good piece of used equipment. There's one, or maybe two guys (if you're buying from a broker) who profit from that transaction, as opposed to all the people involved with making a new one.

However, in the big picture, ignoring a perfectly good used stainless steel prep table in favor of a new one is not all that bright.

In some ways, that's why I don't think it's all that wise to get too worked about judging government actions by how stimulative they are if what they're doing is fundamentally sound. And, to keep this as apolitical as possible, I am not going to say that one can't make any number of valid arguments that certain programs are neither stimulative or sound.

I'd love to but I'm guessing I'll end up spending it on one of the inevitable complications that is going to arise during build out. The fates giveth and the fates taketh away.

As I was saying...

After evaluation by two Concrete / Masonry Cutting Contractors, the wall cut for the new cased opening is far more difficult than first thought. The cutting and removal will be nearly $5000.00 due the extent of the work and extreme wall thickness. In addition, the Structural Engineer will need to re-evaluate the wall and provide full shoring details for interim shoring while cutting will take place. We currently have $850.00 in our estimate which was based on an opening similar to the one that was to be cut in the original location. We do not have any line item for shoring. I wanted to bring this to everyone’s attention as soon as I found out since the costs are far higher than anticipated. Please review and let me know if we are to proceed with cutting at the additional cost or are there any other options to be considered. Please keep in mind that the Structural Engineer will be charging for his services as well.