[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NHL Playoffs

Vinatieri Is God

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets go CAPS, Lets go CAPS.....Ridin a hot young goalie right now, we will need to play a little bit better to win the rest of this series though

I was at a stupid wedding so I only saw bits and pieces, but I heard Fleury wasn't on his game and let in 1 or 2 soft goals. From the limited amount I saw, the rest of the Pens seemed to play pretty well. True or false?

I was at a stupid wedding so I only saw bits and pieces, but I heard Fleury wasn't on his game and let in 1 or 2 soft goals. From the limited amount I saw, the rest of the Pens seemed to play pretty well. True or false?

The Pens played a much better game IMHO. Varlamov had an awesome save reaching behind him and sweeping the puck out just before it crossed over the line. As I said, the Caps will need to play much better if they want to win this series. I am just glad we didn't dig a HUGH hole like we did against the Rangers, tonights game will be great

It was a fast-paced game. Lots of long stretches without a whistle. I felt like the Pens completely dominated the first 10 minutes of the 1st period, but, only had a one goal lead on an open lane laser from Crosby. The Pens continued to control the action in the 1st, but, the Caps got a "soft" goal when Fleury left a rebound go right in front of the net on a weak shot. Then, the Pens gave up a 5 on 3 goal, which was simply perfect puck movement and Fleury fell for a fake shot at the point, he passed to Ovechkin for the open net. It was 5 on 3 though, so, I can't blame Fleury too much for being aggressive there. That made it a frustrating 2-1 Caps lead at the end of the 1st in a period that I thought the Pens out-played them. In the 2nd Period, I felt like the Caps completely dominated the first 10 minutes and the Pens got lucky that they didn't go down further. The Crosby "steal" kind of evened out, as the Pens scored a soft goal on a long blast from Eaton to tie it at 2. Then came one of the best saves I've ever seen, as Varlamov robbed Crosby with his stick. The Caps scored early in the 3rd when Orpik got caught in between an open guy at the point and a guy in front of the net. He charged the point, two passes later, Fleischmann, the man in front of the net, put in the go ahead goal.....bad decision by Orpik. Then the Caps started playing it safe, so, the Pens dominated in shots in the 3rd, but, couldn't get the game-tying goal. The biggest problem for the Pens on Saturday was the AWFUL execution of their powerplay. Not only couldn't they score, they generated very few shots. They looked way out of synch.

Hopefully, the Pens can take home-ice away with a victory tonight.

As a Pens fan, I obviously want the Pens to win tonight and go on to win this series as quickly as possible.

However, as a Hockey fan, and a sports fan in general, I would like to watch these two go at it as much as possible. These two teams play at a fast and entertaining pace that is a blast to watch. I'm enjoy this......now, lets get this victory and head back to the 'Burgh' 1-1.

Well, Sid came to play tonight.- can't say the same for many other Pens. 2nd year in a row, Geno goes MIA in the second round. Gonchar and the Flower were off tonight. Not taking advantage of opportunities. :wacko:

Yeah, Ovechkin is pretty good or something. I'm starting to develop a healthy dislike for him.

Rock the Red.....I like being up 2-0 instead of 0-2 the way we started against the Rangers. I have a feeling it will be 2-2 for our next home game. The Caps are really playing flat for the most part, Crosby takes like 4 whacks at the puck for his last goal but it was a power play and they pulled their goalie anyway :wacko: Going to be a long series no doubt.

LETS GO CAPS!!!!!!

Edited by T_bone65

No offense to Pens fans, Crosby is obviously awesome, but Ovie is looking down at the rest of the league right now. He is an amazing talent with unmatched energy. Malkin should really be taking notes.

I agree with you obviously since I am a CAPS fan, but I have to say some of his celebrations can be a little annoying to other teams/players. But the guy has sooooooo much talent and a rocket for a shot

No offense to Pens fans, Crosby is obviously awesome, but Ovie is looking down at the rest of the league right now. He is an amazing talent with unmatched energy. Malkin should really be taking notes.

You will get no argument from me. If I had my choice between one of those three, I'd take Ovechkin as well, and I've said it all along, not just based on this playoff performance. This series isn't over yet though, I think the Penguins experience may help them get through this. If they win the home games, they're right back in it.

You will get no argument from me. If I had my choice between one of those three, I'd take Ovechkin as well, and I've said it all along, not just based on this playoff performance. This series isn't over yet though, I think the Penguins experience may help them get through this. If they win the home games, they're right back in it.

Agreed that the series is far from over and my comment was not meant to be as such. Its just that the more I see of this kid the more I realize the greatness that I am witnessing. I loves me some Datsyuk and Zetterburg, but Ovie they aint. And if Malkin doesnt get his $hit together he will be labeled the NHL's version of A-Rod.

And if Malkin doesnt get his $hit together he will be labeled the NHL's version of A-Rod.

This is Malkin's 3rd playoff season with the first being a one and done, let's not send this thread down the road of the Tony Romo thread in the football forum. :wacko:

As to the series, the Pens need to find something, but I'm not quite sure what it is. Thing is, they haven't played bad and they're down 2-0, that's kinda scary.

I agree with you obviously since I am a CAPS fan, but I have to say some of his celebrations can be a little annoying to other teams/players. But the guy has sooooooo much talent and a rocket for a shot

As the guys on versus pointed out last night, he's just fired up. He celebrates whether he scores or anyone on his team scores. If you've got a problem with that, well that's your problem.

As the guys on versus pointed out last night, he's just fired up. He celebrates whether he scores or anyone on his team scores. If you've got a problem with that, well that's your problem.

Not just the typical celebration, I am talking the bigger ones like his 50th goal and such. Hey I have no problem with him getting fired up, I love the guy :D, and to think we have him locked up for many years :wacko:

Wow. Wow wow wow wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0clp66dC3M

This ref was either on the take, had orders from the top to make sure LA wins this series, or needs to be suspended for the rest of the playoffs. Absolutely unforgivable levels of incompetence.

Peace

policy

I didn't know the Kings were in the NHL Playoffs :wacko:

Wow. Wow wow wow wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0clp66dC3M

This ref was either on the take, had orders from the top to make sure LA wins this series, or needs to be suspended for the rest of the playoffs. Absolutely unforgivable levels of incompetence.

Peace

policy

Lost sight of the puck and blew the whistle. Happens all the time. Unfortunate that it happened at such a big moment in a playoff game.

:wacko: Please. He was behind the goalie. Lost sight of the puck and blew the whistle. Either you've never watched hockey before, or your Wings homer glasses are so tainted you can't accept it.

:wacko: Please. He was behind the goalie. Lost sight of the puck and blew the whistle. Either you've never watched hockey before, or your Wings homer glasses are so tainted you can't accept it.

I'm not about to throw around words like suspension or on the take, but you have to admit this was a bad call. Especially at the end of a game. For someone who obviously has watched hockey before you would know that at the end of most close games there is a flurry around the net and the whistle usually comes a little later than most of the time. This puck was at least 4" from the goalie pad and it was tapped in well before he blew the whistle. Tough break for the Wings and it was definately a bad call. I have no excuses for the rest of the game. Datsyuk needs to wake up and Rafalski needs to get back in the line-up. Chelios is done. He looked like he was standing in mud on the Selane goal.

Edited by Cameltosis

I'm not about to throw around words like suspension or on the take, but you have to admit this was a bad call. Especially at the end of a game. For someone who obviously has watched hockey before you would know that at the end of most close games there is a flurry around the net and the whistle usually comes a little later than most of the time. This puck was at least 4" from the goalie pad and it was tapped in well before he blew the whistle. Tough break for the Wings and it was definately a bad call. I have no excuses for the rest of the game. Datsyuk needs to wake up and Rafalski needs to get back in the line-up. Chelios is done. He looked like he was standing in mud on the Selane goal.

I'll call it a tough break, maybe a marginal call, but as you know, the ref was behind the goalie and lost sight of the puck and blew the whistle. I've seen worse. The whistle probably came a little too quick, but I really didn't think it was that bad, keep in mind, we're talking about split seconds here. On the other hand, if it was the Pens, I'd be furious, no doubt.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

He should have taken into consideration that he was out of position and couldn't see the far post. He has two linesman and another ref that he could have relied on.

Terrible judgment on his part.

The penalty calls in the game were terrible too. Both sides. The interference call on Stuart and the one on Pronger.

Too inconsistant in the NHL. You only hope you either benefit from it and take advantage of the PP that comes from the bad call. When you don't you find yourself down in a series.

Bottom line is the Wings aren't playing good and the big boys on fwd aren't stepping up. Also hurts having the #2 Defensman out but the Big Swede has stepped in nicely.

Cheli a few steps slow on the Sellanne break away but I can't fault him too much on that one.

Hopefully they come out with more fire tomorrow.