[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mixed news from the doc...

rocknrobn26

I hear ya RR. Before Wcoff last year i was going thru two sets of 3 of that Syn-Visc. That helped a little for like 6 months. Saw a new surgeon last Nov. He thought by seeing my xrays before he met me, i was a perfect canidate for a partial. But once he took a first hand look at the knee...says its more worn out then it showed, so a partial ruled out. At 50, I'm too young for a total replacement. :wacko: He said he'd do it if i really was insistent, but would be on a 4 month waiting list. Which would put it right in the middle of golf season, had to rule that out for the time being. :D

Anyway, back in November they did the cortosone this time and got me wearing one of those unloader braces. I didn't like that at all for the first week or two. But after getting it adjusted a couple times, it really does a fairly decent job of alleviating some of the pain in my workday. Like you mentioned, it got bad sometimes just getting motivated to get up and do anything knowing it would end up hurting.

Have you given something like that a try? Might be an option to help make it thru another year or so...

Either way, good luck with the next injections. Some of the relief i got last fall is starting to dissipate, I need to get back for another one pretty soon.

I went through the same process with Syn-Visc but it did aboslutely no good for me. I was only 42 but they did a total replacement for me and I can honestly say now that it hasn't felt better in the last 15 years.

I went through the same process with Syn-Visc but it did aboslutely no good for me. I was only 42 but they did a total replacement for me and I can honestly say now that it hasn't felt better in the last 15 years.

Yea....I get two areas of pain in my knee. On the inside part of my knee, the main area of the missing cartilage, that always hurts. No matter what I am doing. But I would also get these very sharp and painful shooting pains right below the knee cap. Those are the ones when they'd hit you, you need to grab onto something momentarily. Both the Syn-Visc and Cortisone injections would do great job of minimizing that knee cap pain for about 6 months. But as far as the pain on the side of the knee, those injections didn't do anything for that part.

I think I recall they made you wear the brace for two months as well? I was surprised that helps that side pain quite a bit, at least in my case. Especially on the golf course. Most of our greens are elevated, trying to walk up and down those can be a bitch! Much less painful with the unloader brace.

Not sure if RR's doc has suggested trying one of those....

Edited by BillyBalata

Yea....I get two areas of pain in my knee. On the inside part of my knee, the main area of the missing cartilage, that always hurts. No matter what I am doing. But I would also get these very sharp and painful shooting pains right below the knee cap. Those are the ones when they'd hit you, you need to grab onto something momentarily. Both the Syn-Visc and Cortisone injections would do great job of minimizing that knee cap pain for about 6 months. But as far as the pain on the side of the knee, those injections didn't do anything for that part.

I think I recall they made you wear the brace for two months as well? I was surprised that helps that side pain quite a bit, at least in my case. Especially on the golf course. Most of our greens are elevated, trying to walk up and down those can be a bitch! Much less painful with the unloader brace.

Still have that POS at home too :wacko: Don Joy brace and all it really did was hinder my walking. I have no cartilege in either knee but my right knee has been fine so far. I know my orth DR couldn't just do the knee replacement at my age without trying the brace first, it was almost a year long process before the actual surgery.

No brace was ever mentioned. Walking up the elevated greens? I gave up golf several years ago, because I kept falling down after I tee'd off! :D

As I believe I mentioned, I did the syndisc 5 years ago. It worked for 6+ months. The new stuff is called "Orthovisc". Doc says it works better, especially for repeat users. We'll see. He said it's real $$$ and I haven't heard form my ins. co. yet for approval. :wacko:

Walking up the elevated greens? I gave up golf several years ago, because I kept falling down after I tee'd off! :D

Leave the bottle of scotch at home! :wacko:

Seriously, the brace has been a lifesaver for me the last 6 months. I'm sure it's different for everyone. I went into it figuring it was going to suck and was pleasantly surprised it actually helps. Not 100% but....

I work in a pretty large plant and have to go to the other end of the building pretty often. Before the brace I would try and plan out my trips to the other end and minimize how many times I had to make that walk. I don't worry about it so much anymore. The one I wear is the Rebel Reliever. Not cheap, $700 for the dam thing. It is covered under my insurance, but I hadn't used up my deductible yet so had to pay all of that myself.

This is what I love about being sooo fortunate to live in the same town of the great Mayo Clinic. :wacko:

Just called the appt office for the doc that has been treating my knee. 6 weeks out before I can get in to see him again.

TimC is right....Minnesota is in Canada. :D

• 1 month later...

Saw my knee doc this morning. Got a cortisone shot...and he also agreed to go ahead with the total knee replacement. First opening he's got is August. Told him I had a prior engagement in Vegas for Wcoff early Sept. He says, no problem. Go home, pick a date and call my appt secretary. Should be able to get it done after Wcoff, either middle of Sept or early October. Relief is in sight! :wacko:

Saw my knee doc this morning. Got a cortisone shot...and he also agreed to go ahead with the total knee replacement. First opening he's got is August. Told him I had a prior engagement in Vegas for Wcoff early Sept. He says, no problem. Go home, pick a date and call my appt secretary. Should be able to get it done after Wcoff, either middle of Sept or early October. Relief is in sight! :D

Excellent news!!! :wacko:

Aging does suck and I am right there next to you! I am sorry to hear about these issues. My wife too has some things she is dealing with and I have a three level back fusion staring me in the face. The pain that runs into the groin and down the legs makes you just want it to stop at any cost (sometimes). Fortunately for me, (if you can look at it that way) is that pain killers don't work for me at all, so I don't take them. I pop an ambien or a valium every now and then at night to relieve the stress and get some sleep.

I don't know you or your physical make-up, but I have lost 40 pounds (with 30 to 40 more to go) and it has made a HUGH difference in the pain and comfort level. This would hold true for your knees if you are carrying extra weight. I know, first hand, that this is not something you want to hear if you are overweight, but I also know, first hand, it has helped me a lot and will delay things for years to come if I continue to lose weight and get my core stronger.

My doc has told me that it is best to lean out as you get older. Stronger muscles not bigger ones. He doesn't want me putting ANY extra weight pressure on my joints, be it muscle or fat.

Good luck with your surgery! :wacko:

Saw my knee doc this morning. Got a cortisone shot...and he also agreed to go ahead with the total knee replacement. First opening he's got is August. Told him I had a prior engagement in Vegas for Wcoff early Sept. He says, no problem. Go home, pick a date and call my appt secretary. Should be able to get it done after Wcoff, either middle of Sept or early October. Relief is in sight! :D

:wacko: You will love the moriphine :D Just be prepared to walk on it the next morning and do all of your rehab and all will be great. Also enjoy the percs as well

:D You will love the moriphine :D Just be prepared to walk on it the next morning and do all of your rehab and all will be great. Also enjoy the percs as well

I'm an old hand at the morphine. :D Don't know if you recall, but when you had your knee done was shortly after my car accident. I was laid up for 3 months same time you were. Got more then my share of morphine and vicodins back then. :wacko:

I'm an old hand at the morphine. :D Don't know if you recall, but when you had your knee done was shortly after my car accident. I was laid up for 3 months same time you were. Got more then my share of morphine and vicodins back then. :wacko:

I do recall, prepare for round 2 :D

On a side note I may be ready for round 2 myself sometime in the near future, this time for a hip