[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Table saw

detlef

Anyone gotta thought here? I've managed to build plenty of stuff around the house just using my circular, compound, and jig saws and simply having the lumber yard knock down any big pieces of ply wood into the sizes I've needed. Well, I'm going to be building some rather intricate benches and tables for the new place and simply have to break down and get a table saw. Well, I don't have to but it will make my life a ton easier.

Craigs list has a bunch for around $100. Various brands, all in seemingly about the same condition that a new one I'd buy will be in once I'm done with this project.

Here's the searched page if anyone wants to waste some time.

TIA

By the way, it's gonna look dope when I'm finished.

ETA, I already read some reviews on the Toshiba and it sounds like a POS. So, there's one to avoid...

Edited by detlef

I like Milwaukee and DeWalt saws - also had luck with Home Depot's Rigid brand.

I don't have a table saw myself, but used a neighors Rigid table saw recenlty and it was pretty nice. The controls were smooth and precise.

As with many things, you generally get what yoy pay for with tools.

Det - are you going to cut sheet goods on this table saw? If so, you do not want a table-top saw. You want a little heavier one with a stand and extension tables and a rip capacity of at least 24". With the extension tables, cast-iron>aluminum, but aluminum can work. I'm partial to Delta, but anything other than the cheap Chinese saws will probably work for what you need. If it were me, I'd look to spend a little more (maybe $200-$300) to get a better saw.

I like DeWalt and Milwaukee hand tools a lot, but their stationary equipment is not nearly as good as some of the more industrial manufacturers. They are geared more to the weekend DIYer than someone that is really going to get down and dirty. Also DeWalt seems to be the "hot" brand right now, so they tend to be over priced. Don't get me wrong, I love my DeWalt cordless drill motor, but I wouldn't buy a DeWalt table saw, just because they are more expensive than other what I call DIY grade equipment, and not as good as the more industrial brands. Like WV, I'm a big fan of Delta, they seem to be geared more to the professional than the DIY'ers. Another brand that is great is Rockwell which is not longer independently manufactured as they were bought out by Delta a few years ago. So yo will not find a new Rockwell table saw, though you can find a new Delta Rockwell table saw. . If you can find a used Rockwell in good condition it will last you forever. At the time they were produced they were the Cadillac of table saws. We have one out in the shop that has to be 25 years old, and is good as new. A used Delta is another good option though I'd go with the Rockwell if they were in similar condition and similar price range.

I like DeWalt and Milwaukee hand tools a lot, but their stationary equipment is not nearly as good as some of the more industrial manufacturers. They are geared more to the weekend DIYer than someone that is really going to get down and dirty. Also DeWalt seems to be the "hot" brand right now, so they tend to be over priced. Don't get me wrong, I love my DeWalt cordless drill motor, but I wouldn't buy a DeWalt table saw, just because they are more expensive than other what I call DIY grade equipment, and not as good as the more industrial brands. Like WV, I'm a big fan of Delta, they seem to be geared more to the professional than the DIY'ers. Another brand that is great is Rockwell which is not longer independently manufactured as they were bought out by Delta a few years ago. So yo will not find a new Rockwell table saw, though you can find a new Delta Rockwell table saw. . If you can find a used Rockwell in good condition it will last you forever. At the time they were produced they were the Cadillac of table saws. We have one out in the shop that has to be 25 years old, and is good as new. A used Delta is another good option though I'd go with the Rockwell if they were in similar condition and similar price range.

My grandpa was a professional carpenter/homebuilder and Rockwell was all he used. If you're going to be keeping the saw buy the Delta. If you use it to cut meat you can claim it as a business expense! :wacko:

I have bought several Delta "factory reconditioned" power tools over the last 5 or 6 years. I've never had a problem with any of them. I've gone this route on larger tools that I don't use constantly.....table saw, bench press, planer. But I've been able to find them at The Anderson's General Store during their tool tent sales.

And if you are seriously considering this buy for just this one project, a reconditioned model is a HUGH savings. Usually at least 50%.

Rockler is also having a sale on this Porter Cable tablesaw. I have no idea what shipping would be on something like this......lol.