[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Becoming a landlord for the 1st time

Fatman

I'm going to be renting out my condo while I head back to school - I have an interested party and I anticipate that we'll get something agreed to over the next couple of weeks. I have a friend that is a real estate attorney who is providing me with a lease, as well as helping me establish an LLC to insulate myself personally should anything go wrong. Any advice?

Do a video walk thru with your tenant before they move anything in. That way when they start jacking stuff up you will have them on video saying everything is in good shape when they moved in.

Try to do a monthly walk thru so if they are messing your place up, you can try to do some damage control.

Try to do a monthly walk thru so if they are messing your place up, you can try to do some damage control.

Good luck with that. When I was renting, I'd have told my landlord to suck it if he showed up monthly to snoop around. :wacko:

Good luck with that. When I was renting, I'd have told my landlord to suck it if he showed up monthly to snoop around. :wacko:

I put it in as part of the lease. I would give them 24 hours notice then check out the place. Broken windows or leaky pipes that go unaddressed can cost thousands in damage a year later.

If a tenant wrecks your place and you sue them and win, good luck collecting on that money.

Edited by fingfootball

true, except that you can make a profit by selling in a year or two when the market doesn't suck as much. Plus, if you plan on moving back, it'll cost you a great deal more to sell and re-buy.

making a profit all depends when he bought the place. if it was within the last 2y, he has a very small chance of any profit in the next 5-7 years. landlording isnt all that its cracked up to be. just be careful. make sure you get an airtight lease. 1.5mo/security deposit atleast. no pets. no smoking.

true, except that you can make a profit by selling in a year or two when the market doesn't suck as much. Plus, if you plan on moving back, it'll cost you a great deal more to sell and re-buy.

My point was that single family property landlords can only expect to break even at best on the period they are renting it out for. I wasn't considering P&L before or after the rental period.

Yep, it's more about holding on to it for a year or two as opposed to becoming a for-profit landlord.

My advice is to stay cash heavy. Make sure you have enough money to front the mortgage and est. repairs for 6 months. People that get too thin go under (as we all know sh!% happens). I usually tell people to not rent a place just because they are living in it now. One way to think about it is... If you were at school would you take out a loan to buy this property and rent it out? If no, then I'd suggest selling the property. Everyone's situation is different in if you already made your mind up to rent it out than good luck (many people do this and end up fine). Just keep cash accessible so if you do get a crazy situation you have some time to try to deal with it. GL