[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What's in my bag?

Seahawks21

Every month, either Golf magazine or Golf Digest (maybe both) have a page where they take the guy that won the last week, and share what clubs he is playing currently. This could be fun here, and we may even get some new ideas of clubs we might want to try, and with this crowd, I'm sure we'll be reminded of a few of the classics as well.

As for my bag:

Driver--crappy shoes from spammers Sasquatch--Still playing the original. I haven't hit anything further the past few years. It may cost me a few fairways, but wow that clubs is deep!

3-wood--Cleveland Launcher Comp--Bleh. Too offset for me but I can hit it pretty deep, which is all you really want to do with a 3-wood anyways. I'm looking to replace this club if anybody has any good ideas without much offset

Hybrid--Adams Idea Pro, 18 degree---I should carry this club every round I play, but usually opt for the traditional 2-iron in case I get into the trees. In fact, just writing this, I probably will. Adams makes the best hybrids on the planet, and their Pro series stuff is out of this world. I can get it to land soft, which is nuts for a 230 yard shot.

2-iron--Titleist DCI. The only Titleist club in my bag, also the oldest club in my bag. I feel like there isn't a tree on this planet I can't use my 2-iron from and get close with. It is really hard to find a left-handed two-iron nowadays, so this will probably be in my bag for the next 20 years, unless I make the switch to the hybrid as previously discussed.

3-PW--Adams Idea Pro. I know, Adams?? What!??! I wanted to play the new Mizuno club (MP-52) but just didn't hit it as well as the Adams. I finally put the r7's on the shelf, and opted for something with a little more shotmaking capability. If you are a stronger player that hasn't tried the Adams Pro series irons, head to the shop and give them a swing. They may be worth the trip.

Wedges---In the 52 & 56 I play the Cleveland CG12's, best feeling wedge I have ever had in my hands. In the 60 I play a RAC TP, so I can't spin it too much.

Putters---Grab bag. Depends on my mood that week. I probably make the highest percentage of putts with an older Rossa Monza mallet, but I have quite a display of Scottie Cameron's and Ping putters that I am not nearly a good enough putter to play with, but sometimes I try anyways.

Golf Ball--Bridgestone B330s. Stopping power!! Wow. And goes further than the ProV1.

Driver: TM Burner 10.5o - too much loft for my preference, but what a forgiving club!!! I don't think I've missed a fairway yet and that was a 50/50 proposition with my old driver. It's not a particularly long club, but I'll take the forgiveness and ease of use over the long bomb any day. The distance may come eventually. The Burner is still pretty new to me and feels dramatically different, so I'm not comfortable really unleashing with it.

TM Rescues #3 (17o ) & #5 (22o ) - vastly prefer these to traditional fairway woods. They make it very easy to get out of deep rough and bad lies. They're really straight too.

Irons: TM R7 Draws 5-SW (steel stiff). Very new to me and I'm loving them. They feel very solid and scoop balls up nicely. I had the tendency to blade a ball once in a while with my old irons - hasn't happened yet with the R7s. I have not noticed a strong draw tendency in flight, but I am playing from the left more often. Hugh :wacko: for a set I picked up for $299 from Sports Authority.

Lob Wedge: Cleveland 588 in gun metal. Love the feel of this club - very solid feel - love the gun metal finish too. It seems to slide through thick grass with ease. I expected more spin from this club.

Chipper - this is my screw ball club. My late grandpa gave this to me before he died. I only use it once or twice per round, but it does work well in bump and run situations. It also reminds of of grandpa - it'll always stay in the bag. :D

Putter: crappy shoes from spammers Oz - love the weight and balance of this putter - don't care for the polymer insert in the face. I prefer a milled metal face on putters. Once I find one that has the weight and balance of the Oz with a milled face - I'm sure it'll be a keeper. Ping makes a CrazE that's close, but not quite as balaced as I prefer.

I play what ever ball I can get a deal on - as long as it's low compression. I am very much a feel player and despise the feel of hitting rocks. I've got a neighbor that just started a used golf ball business and he cuts me a heck of a deal on whatever I want. I've been playing the Titleist DT SO/LO and like it pretty well. I also like the Precept Laddie, Maxfli Noodle and crappy shoes from spammers Juice.

Edited by Jimmy Neutron

Currently:

Driver: Tour Burner TP 9.5, Rombax shaft (S). Went to a 9.5 from a 7 degree to get more distance in the nice NW wet fairways. This time of year, the 7 would probably come in handy.

3 Wood: Titleist 980F

2 Iron: Titleist 990 (this wasn't in the bag today, but it is a lot of days)

3-PW: Mizuno MP-62s, Project X 6.5

SW: Vokey 56/12

SW2: Ping Eye 2. Still can't find a wedge I like better out of the sand, but it stays home if the 2 iron is needed.

LW: Vokey 60

Putter: Tad Moore Pro1P: Tad still makes the best putters ever made. Period.

Ball: ProV1, low numbers

GHIN Index: 6.4

Played in a "Red, White, & Blue" tournament today for the 4th. Start on the reds and rotate through the tees. Discovered I cannot play the reds. 4 birdies from the blues (which are my normal tees), 3 doubles from the reds (and i rarely double), 2 bogies thrown in there somewhere. Just got myself into trouble off the red tees either hitting into necks or going for greens and ending up in the greenside creek. Fun idea but I'll be happy to never play from those again. It will be interesting to see what tees the LPGA plays from when they're here in August.

Edited by Seattle LawDawg

Currently:

Driver: Tour Burner TP 9.5, Rombax shaft (S). Went to a 9.5 from a 7 degree to get more distance in the nice NW wet fairways. This time of year, the 7 would probably come in handy.

3 Wood: Titleist 980F

2 Iron: Titleist 990 (this wasn't in the bag today, but it is a lot of days)

3-PW: Mizuno MP-62s, Project X 6.5

SW: Vokey 56/12

SW2: Ping Eye 2. Still can't find a wedge I like better out of the sand, but it stays home if the 2 iron is needed.

LW: Vokey 60

Putter: Tad Moore Pro1P: Tad still makes the best putters ever made. Period.

Ball: ProV1, low numbers

GHIN Index: 6.4

Played in a "Red, White, & Blue" tournament today for the 4th. Start on the reds and rotate through the tees. Discovered I cannot play the reds. 4 birdies from the blues (which are my normal tees), 3 doubles from the reds (and i rarely double), 2 bogies thrown in there somewhere. Just got myself into trouble off the red tees either hitting into necks or going for greens and ending up in the greenside creek. Fun idea but I'll be happy to never play from those again. It will be interesting to see what tees the LPGA plays from when they're here in August.

SkyCaddie SG5 is usually in the bag as well. I've remembered to charge it about half the time.

SkyCaddie SG5 is usually in the bag as well. I've remembered to charge it about half the time.

You prefer the GPS over a Laser Range Finder?

I tried the Golf Buddy for about five rounds, but I got really sick of never knowing how far it was to the pin, so I threw my old Bushnell back in the bag. Maybe I didn't give it a good enough opportunity, but it was my contention that without knowing distance to the pin, the GPS system wasn't much better than relying on the markers.

Edited by Seahawks21

I tried the Golf Buddy for about five rounds, but I got really sick of never knowing how far it was to the pin, so I threw my old Bushnell back in the bag. Maybe I didn't give it a good enough opportunity, but it was my contention that without knowing distance to the pin, the GPS system wasn't much better than relying on the markers.

I had never really used either so either would have provided additional benefit. A lot of the courses I play provide daily pin placement sheets so I can figure it pretty close. I can see how the lasers would help on courses where those weren't available, but the SkyCaddie provides additional information throughout the golf course (i.e., How far to carry that bunker, water, etc). The other thing - at my home course, I play a couple holes from the neighboring fairway, well sometimes its more than a couple, but a couple are on purpose. From there, its blind shots but the skycaddie gives me the distance.

Driver: Callaway FT-5 10.5° Matrix Altus S.

Hybrids: Taylormade TP Rescue 16°

Callaway FT 20°

Callaway FT 24°

Irons: Callaway X-22 5-PW Black Gold S shafts. I love these irons. I went from the X-20 w/ flighted Rifles to a much higher launching shaft in the Black Golds...

Wedges: Vokeys 50 & 54°

Putter: TaylorMade Monza Corza

Ball: Bridgestone E6+ or Top Flight Gamer.

Driver-TM 580 XD 9.5-stiff

5W-TM 300 series-stiff( no need for a 3W, as I hit this 240-245 off the deck)

7W-TM 200 Steel Series (money club 205-215 yds)

4-PW-TM 360 series ( i'm a feel player with my irons, I beat the grooves flat on my Tommy Armour 845 Silver Scotts, and these feel nearly identical to me)

AW-TM 300 series (money 120-125yds)

SW-TM 300 series

LW-Titilest Vokey 60 deg

PT-Fila Final Approach Tri-Core Face (mallet)

Golf Ball- crappy shoes from spammers PD Long (play this ball and you will never go back)

I play to a 7 hndcp and always hit what feels and scores for me,my other Driver is a Titilest 975 9.5 deg w/ stiff shaft, but it is harder to work the ball off the tee with, I was hitting the TM Red and Black balls before the switch to crappy shoes from spammers PD Long. I actually won a sleve of them by hitting the green on a Par 3. The next hole I just teed one up to see what it would do for me.......it was still in the air much further than the TM red and Blacks or the Pro V1...awesome golf ball. Plus great feel with the wedges and putter.

No question the SkyCaddie is better. The laser is a PITA IMO. SkyCaddie is great and seems to be very accurate. Not sure about Golf Buddy.

My bag:

Callaway FT-5 Tour 9.5*

Titleist 909 F3 3 wood

Titleist 585 Hybrid 18*

Titleist 755 3-PW

Vokey 52* & 56*

Cameron Studio Select

HCI 2.9

No question the SkyCaddie is better. The laser is a PITA IMO. SkyCaddie is great and seems to be very accurate. Not sure about Golf Buddy.

My bag:

Callaway FT-5 Tour 9.5*

Titleist 909 F3 3 wood

Titleist 585 Hybrid 18*

Titleist 755 3-PW

Vokey 52* & 56*

Cameron Studio Select

HCI 2.9

The laser is what?

All the GPS systems are the same. I've tried them. Until they can tell me how far it is to the pin, which will never happen, I can't use one. Sure, it is easy to clip it onto your bag, but if your index is really under a 3, don't you want to know exactly where the pin is? Sure, you can guess within a few yards, but I want to know the number. I couldn't care less how far it is to the front and back when I have an 8-iron. Give me the distance to the pin.

real men dont use laser range finders . . . .

I'm not a real man.

I don't know if SkyCaddie has changed but back when I was looking they did not have many of the local courses mapped. I know that you could do it yourself but after seeing the way a mapped course shows up, that is the only way that I would want to use it.

My range finder does me pretty well. When there is water, I just scope the other side and I know how far to carry the water. A big dog leg and I just scope how far until I run out of fairway. I really only need the neighborhood on shots over 170 but shots that are 139 vs 147 make a difference for me so I very much like to know. I have also found that most couses have close but no where near exact markings on the sprinkler heads. I mean an 18 yard difference is hugh to me and today I was standing at a sprinkler that said 164 and the range finder hit 151. I hit the eight iron and still went about 20 feet deep. Had I hit the seven that I would have hit from 164 I would have been over and in trouble.

I love my range finder.

I still like to buy the yardage book at the clubhouse, then study up on it, as it helps speed along my course knowledge. Plus, seeing the hole laid out on paper with yardages given from certain spots is great as well. Then I just go old school and take the yardgae to the center of the green and deduct or add for the landing zone I want to try to hit. Also, they seem to help with my course managment as well, then combine that with my "Green Scope" and I have the "ballpark " yardage I'm looking for to shoot at the pin or landing area in case of a sucker pin placement.

I'm very old school when it comes to distance - no gadgets or even yardage booklets. Judging distances, especially over elevation changes, then executing the right club selection and shot is one of the great pleasures of the game. I even wish course didn't put markers on the course. :wacko:

Plus, it's a good way to bone up for archery season.

Plus, it's a good way to bone up for archery season. [/color]

I will tell you what is weird for me. Since using a range finder, (at least 5 years), I seem to have become very poor at judging distance. I used to be quite good at it. 100 yards was always pretty easy to judge then adding in increments of 10 made it pretty easy for me. No more. Since I have gotten used to this range finder, my distance estimates suck ass.

My boy golfs with my a lot and he never even wants me to tell him the distance that I scoped. He says knowing the distance often makes him hit the wrong club. :wacko: I don't doubt him as he is at a 5 right now and I am a 12 playing like a 15.

BTW - I give most of my strokes away on the green. I have never put time into that phase of the game like I have every other and it shows.

I will tell you what is weird for me. Since using a range finder, (at least 5 years), I seem to have become very poor at judging distance. I used to be quite good at it. 100 yards was always pretty easy to judge then adding in increments of 10 made it pretty easy for me. No more. Since I have gotten used to this range finder, my distance estimates suck ass.

My boy golfs with my a lot and he never even wants me to tell him the distance that I scoped. He says knowing the distance often makes him hit the wrong club. :wacko: I don't doubt him as he is at a 5 right now and I am a 12 playing like a 15.

BTW - I give most of my strokes away on the green. I have never put time into that phase of the game like I have every other and it shows.

Golf is a very individualized game. If a guy with a swing like Ray Floyd can make a good living playing golf, there's plenty of room for the rest of us to play around and figure out what works for us.

I get where your son is coming from. Sometimes I don't try to judge distance in yards - I think to myself, "this looks like an easy 7." :D It's very much a feel game for me. When I try to get too technical with any part of my game, I lose satisfaction in it - even if there is a good result.

I also give too many away on the green. I read greens pretty well, but struggle with a smooth, consistent putting stroke. Once in a while I find that zone and really start burying them, but I can easily push a straight 5 footer way too often. :D

Diggin' the golf threads, boys - keep 'em comin'. If we can't play 7 days a week, at least we can talk about this infernal game. :D

I'm very old school when it comes to distance - no gadgets or even yardage booklets.

I don't use gadgets but I live by my yardage book. We had fun with the Skycaddie when my buddy first bought his. But it's almost a time waster when you know the course well. I did like it for lay up shots and carry distances.

I played golf with a guy once that had a Skycaddie and an anemometer mounted on his cart.