[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need Keeper Help (Will Respond to Yours)

Gentlemen,

I am in PPR league where we will protect four players from last year's roster heading into this season.

Three of my four are as follows:

Andre Johnson

Steven Jackson

Marshawn Lynch

For my fourth, I must choose from the following:

Jay Cutler (How far does he drop going to the Bears?)

Anthony Gonzalez (I think he could produce Top 10 numbers this year.)

Ray Rice (Could emerge as primary RB in Baltimore this year and long term.)

Thomas Jones (I have read the Jets will rotate three RBs. Also, Jones is 31.)

One other note to consider, next year - and each year thereafter - we will protect five players MAX.

I would REALLY appreciate any / all insight!

Good luck to all this year.

Scoring system?

Lineup Requirements?

What pick do you have in the first round?

Any cost associated with each keeper? Must you keep 4?

Those answers will help drive the advice.

We start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF/ST

6 PTs for every Passing, Rec, Rush TD

9 Pts for every TD of +50 YDS

3 Pts for 100 Yds Rushing

1 Pt per Reception

1 Pt for every 10 Yds Rec / Rush

1 Pt for every 25 Yds Passing

I have the #9 position in the draft in a 10-team league. We must keep 4 and there is no cost.

Thanks!

P.S. Plax would have been my 4th keeper, but we know how that ended...

Regardless of details, the answer is NOT Thomas Jones. With Jackson & Lynch, the need for Ray Rice at this unproven stage in his career is less -- unless everyone is keeping many RBs, in which case, he'd be a consideration. Cutler in Chitown s and unknown, again, it would help to know who's likely to be keeping who and where you draft ... AGon has youth on his side -- but good enough for a keeper #2 wr? Maybe ....

Any chance of a package deal that gets you a better 4th keeper?

This has minimal affect on player value.

1 Brees, Drew QB NOR 424.75

2 Rivers, Philip QB SDG 387.65

3 Rodgers, Aaron QB GNB 387.30

4 Cutler, Jay QB DEN 372.50

5 Warner, Kurt QB ARI 368.10

6 Manning, Peyton QB IND 348.70

7 McNabb, Donovan QB PHI 329.20

8 Cassel, Matt QB KAN 323.75

9 Johnson, Andre WR HOU 320.50

10 Fitzgerald, Larry WR ARI 311.10

11 Williams, DeAngelo RB CAR 307.90

12 Forte, Matt RB CHI 304.50

13 Pennington, Chad QB MIA 293.65

14 Romo, Tony QB DAL 291.80

15 Garrard, David QB JAC 283.60

16 Johnson, Calvin WR DET 281.00

17 Thigpen, Tyler QB KAN 279.70

18 Jones-Drew, Maurice RB JAC 278.90

19 Turner, Michael RB ATL 278.00

20 Tomlinson, LaDainian RB SDG 277.60

These were the final results in my PPR 6 pt per TD league last year. As you can see the elite QB's significantly outscore elite RB's and WR's in this scoring format. However, I also believe Big Country has a solid point too. As long as a team doesn't pile up their QB's, most teams in the league will have an "elite" QB on their roster. I learned the hard way last year. I decided to go with the "a QB is a QB' approach. I got burned in this league. I ended up trading for Favre, started Thigpen most of the year and finished with a mediocre record. I won the league a few years back, largely in part to Carson Palmers consistent play. So, for this year, I traded B.Edwards and Reggie Bush for Brees and am very happy with it. Just my :wacko:

It is the spread in scoring within the position that determines value, not the total points (caveat being a scoring system that skews scores for one position so that they are extremely higher as a whole vs other positions throws this off).

In general, QBs score very close to each other. A switch from 4 to 6 pt TDs is a change of what, maybe 20 points over the season when looking at a spread of QBs with 30 to 20 Passing TDs, which covers the majority of fantasy starters... About one point per game, not a real significant change to value.

It is the spread in scoring within the position that determines value, not the total points (caveat being a scoring system that skews scores for one position so that they are extremely higher as a whole vs other positions throws this off).

In general, QBs score very close to each other. A switch from 4 to 6 pt TDs is a change of what, maybe 20 points over the season when looking at a spread of QBs with 30 to 20 Passing TDs, which covers the majority of fantasy starters... About one point per game, not a real significant change to value.

Top QB 425. Top RB 308. That's a HUGH difference. I understand what you're saying, and I agree. My original post stated the importance of an elite QB.

Edited by fitzkek

Top QB 425. Top RB 308. That's a HUGH difference. I understand what you're saying, and I agree. My original post stated the importance of an elite QB.

And a 150 point spread from the #1 to #12 QB, but, out of curiosity (assuming a 12 team, 2 RB league) what did the #24 RB score?

From the few guys you posted, the top RB has 4 guys within 30 points of him. Now Brees had a spectacular year, but looking at the #2-6 QBs is a spread of only 40 points (and you start presumable twice as many RBs), so this partially illustrates the point that just because a position scores more, it does not neccessarily contribute more to value. Also, the 6th QB is usually taken when, in the 4th or 5th round, the 12th RB maybe in the mid 2nd round. It would be interesting to do some basic calcs with the actuals.

Just some food for thought

Is that the mindset of Value Based Drafting? I've been trying to figure that out. You're explanation makes perfect sense. My gut feelings are coming from me scrambling so much last season chasing a QB that could keep pace with the others in my league.

Is that the mindset of Value Based Drafting? I've been trying to figure that out. You're explanation makes perfect sense. My gut feelings are coming from me scrambling so much last season chasing a QB that could keep pace with the others in my league.

In a nutshell, yes. You look for where the dropoffs are and avoid them.

So, let's say you have 3 QBs on the board with relatively close values based on your projections. You then have 1 WR in a value tier above the next group of 3-4 WRs, but all below the QBs in "value". Two teams pick after you (ie, you have the 10th pick in a 12 team draft). Who do you take? Me personally, I take the WR, as one of the QBs is almost certain to fall to me in the next round, and I have maximized my overall value.

Basically, my approach is to use the value analysis to help pinpoint where I see the dropoffs at each position as well as see what positions are offering the value, then I group players into "value" tiers within their position. Then the flow of the draft and draft strategy kick in, such as the scenario above. Now, if we were in a spot going the other way, and there was going to be 9 teams picking twice between us, the answer may well be take one of the QBs and then dip into the next tier for the WR with your next pick. You have to look at the dropoffs, make some predictions of what you expect to come off the board between your picks, and ideally take the path the leads to the greatest overall value for yourr team, even if at times it means selecting a player with lower "value" with the immediate pick if the net of the picks is greater overall value.

Gentlemen,

I am in PPR league where we will protect four players from last year's roster heading into this season.

Three of my four are as follows:

Andre Johnson

Steven Jackson

Marshawn Lynch

For my fourth, I must choose from the following:

Jay Cutler (How far does he drop going to the Bears?)

Anthony Gonzalez (I think he could produce Top 10 numbers this year.)

Ray Rice (Could emerge as primary RB in Baltimore this year and long term.)

Thomas Jones (I have read the Jets will rotate three RBs. Also, Jones is 31.)

One other note to consider, next year - and each year thereafter - we will protect five players MAX.

I would REALLY appreciate any / all insight!

Good luck to all this year.

I havt to go AGon here. TJ is a no brainer to eliminate. I like Rice but hate the logjam at the position in Baltimore, so he is out. Despite your scoring, I cannot keep Cutler as I am a value-buying QB guy. You'd start with four solid starters at the two most important positions.