[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Renting vs Owning a home

whomper

Correct . Which falls under the tax advantage argument.

owning is not really a tax advantage overall. while, it's nice to deduct the interest and taxes from your income come april, remember, you are still paying more in both areas vs. the tax credits you receive. so generally, a renter is paying less vs. a mortgage payment because they don't have to pay the interest and taxes at all. so it's a nice side bene, but owning is all about the equity.

owning is not really a tax advantage overall. while, it's nice to deduct the interest and taxes from your income come april, remember, you are still paying more in both areas vs. the tax credits you receive. so generally, a renter is paying less vs. a mortgage payment because they don't have to pay the interest and taxes at all. so it's a nice side bene, but owning is all about the equity.

I was going to post the same thing and then thought about it. Are you not paying the taxes and interest in your rent payment?

I was going to post the same thing and then thought about it. Are you not paying the taxes and interest in your rent payment?

Maybe not all but if you are renting a house you are certainly paying into the taxes and interest of the homeowner. My brothers rent is not very far off from my mortgage payment.

Edited by whomper

i'm sure part of the rent payment is used by the owner to pay these things but if you are, say, in an apartment complex, it's pretty small/distributed. many people are also willing to rent their house for less than their full mortgage payment + escrow so they can continue to build equity.

i'm sure part of the rent payment is used by the owner to pay these things but if you are, say, in an apartment complex, it's pretty small/distributed. many people are also willing to rent their house for less than their full mortgage payment + escrow so they can continue to build equity.

apartment complex I agree with . My comparison was a house rental . You certainly have a point but I think we are both right to an extent

I was talking about house also. I haven't been in an apartment since college...

My wife and I rented the top floor of a house for the first year of our marriage. Found a house when she was pregnant. Moved in and 1 month later our first daughter was born. The rent at the first house was 880 a month :divingboard:

Edited by whomper