[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Feeding your dog / cat a "raw" diet

muck

My breeder has suggested that I simply feed him a chicken quarter for one of his meals each day.

I really want to get this right, because he's entering a phase where he'll add about 1lb / day for the next few months.

PS - He really liked Taste of the Wild ... especially the fish formula ... however, I believe that they will not promise their fish are not Ethoxyquin-free ... and, for those who don't know, Ethoxyquin is thought to be a carcinogen (at least in lab rats). Do you know anything about this?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the concern is high protein will promote rapid growth, something you do want in a giant breed that is under two years of age. There are lower protein no grain brands that you could use instead. I am concerned with too high protein in any breed, any age. I use Taste of the Wild because of the lower protein levels, and it is less expensive. Caveman may be on to something, just add some high quality brown rice. Aren't lentils high in protein though.

Lentils have protien, but it's 2:1 carbs to protein with lots of fiber. Lots of other nutritional value as well. With the rice mixed in it should not be an issue.

My only advice is to use the green lentils (not the smaller red), and to soak them over night before you cook them regardless of what you read. No need to invite extra doggie gas. :wacko:

My breeder and I just spoke. He feeds his dogs:

Mon / Tues / Thurs / Fri / Sun

67% chicken quarters

33% tripe / organ

Wed / Sat

100% kibble (he feeds Fromm's now; used to feed Eagle Pack Holistic)

My breeder has suggested that I simply feed him a chicken quarter for one of his meals each day.

I really want to get this right, because he's entering a phase where he'll add about 1lb / day for the next few months.

PS - He really liked Taste of the Wild ... especially the fish formula ... however, I believe that they will not promise their fish are not Ethoxyquin-free ... and, for those who don't know, Ethoxyquin is thought to be a carcinogen (at least in lab rats). Do you know anything about this?

Ethoxyquin is a perservative in pet food but also used as a fertilizer. I didn't think any quaility food used it anymore. Science Diet got a lot of flack for using it and I think removed it from their formula. I thought you also had to disclose this on the ingredients list on the bag.

so this thread guilt-tripped me into going out and buying my little monster a bag of innova evo....and now he's blocked up like LA traffic. :wacko: woke me up at 3 AM to let him out and he sat there hunched up for 5 minutes trying to pinch one off again to no avail. I sure hope he has some movement today. maybe I ought to drizzle it with a little prune juice.

so this thread guilt-tripped me into going out and buying my little monster a bag of innova evo....and now he's blocked up like LA traffic. :wacko: woke me up at 3 AM to let him out and he sat there hunched up for 5 minutes trying to pinch one off again to no avail. I sure hope he has some movement today. maybe I ought to drizzle it with a little prune juice.

Did you switch him cold-turkey or over time?

Also, Evo can be a little "intense" for some dogs; there are other options that are just as good (if not better) that are less "intense". Regardless, Evo is a kajillion times better than Purina Dog Chow (et.al.) and your dog will get used to it.

And, make sure that prunes are ok for dogs; I know that grapes can be lethal.