[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Blu-Ray Player

Big Country

K, so I am in the market for a blu-ray player, maybe multiple ones.

Is there a major difference in the ones out there on the market. I'm not a big time snob when it comes to these things generally, but now that I have upgraded to a good TV, interested in getting a decent product, but trying to be budget conscious.

I am tenatively planning on getting a PS3 to use as a BluRay player in the office plus get a couple games for it. I don't play much, but I'm sure Madden in HD would be fun.

So, what say you, what should I look for. Any brands to avoid? Can I just grab whatever Costco has?

If I had it to do all over again, I would have purchased the PS3. I saved $100 by buying a Sony at Sam's and it is painfully slow. My parents have a Panasonic that is much faster.

Just do your research on the models. It takes close to a minute from the time I power the Blu-Ray on before I can insert a disc. It's a major PITA.

not a Blu-ray expert or anything, but I have the PS3 and it is great. The online feature allows it to update firmware online, games are cool when you feel like playing them, some like COD are outstanding.

The PS3 controller works great for blu ray function after a little getting used to - all in all a great little system for the money

I own last years Panasonic model and a PS3....that Panasonic model was one of the best models to come out last year, but the PS3 blew it away in regards to load times....

a lot of BD players have really slow load times that take me back to when DVD very 1st came out, but the PS3 loads much faster...

if you want a good BD player right now, I'd suggest either a PS3, the latest Sony or Panasonic.....I've never liked Samsung players of any kind and the Sharp players are decent....

..but for me, it's the PS3 and then after that flip a coin between the latest Sony or Panasonic....unless you're buying a Pioneer Elite of course :wacko: but the other options are the best purchases for your money...

Thanks for the input.

Basically, I am gonna get a PS3 for my office, looking for equipping the other TVs, so more a true BluRay player.

My other option that I may do is just get standard DVD players for now as they are dirt cheap and wait a couple years to make the upgrade when in theory the available products will be better and cheaper.

PS3 - hands down, no questions asked.

Reason: built in USB 2.0; 5.1 Surround built in with audio optical out and upgradable firmware. Plus, it plays games.

No stand alone player on the market has all of those abilities for that price point(at least as of last XMas). You can find cheaper stand alones, but they won't have upgradable firmware, will lack surround and/or not have USB 2. It's a slam dunk.

Thanks for the input.

Basically, I am gonna get a PS3 for my office, looking for equipping the other TVs, so more a true BluRay player.

My other option that I may do is just get standard DVD players for now as they are dirt cheap and wait a couple years to make the upgrade when in theory the available products will be better and cheaper.

I'd say get your office a PS3 and just get decent upconverting DVD players for the others. I'm not sure what office needs blu-ray but good for you if you can get away with it.

I'd say get your office a PS3 and just get decent upconverting DVD players for the others. I'm not sure what office needs blu-ray but good for you if you can get away with it.

The office doesn;t "need" it, but if I am ever goin to be playing games, it is likely to be in there (though, I would plug it in to the family room big screen if wife is away/asleep)

FWIW, I went with the Panasonic when I got one over Christmas. I don't have or want any type of gaming system (I'd never do anything else) so I haven't really looked into them. Right now though, the Panasonic BD 35 is about the best bang for the buck going. With it's build in Ethernet connection it can automatically download firmware upgrade (something that you will have to do at least once sone I think they still ship with the 1.0 version of firmware) without any interaction on your part. Plus, the lasers on it are better than anything else. Only Sony compares but it is much pricier.

I have a Samsung Blu Ray Player and I love it the thing that you may have to think about is the load times. I know the PS3 is a great Blu-ray. If you get a stand alone Blu ray player get one with the ether net port connection. Its pretty cool you can stream Net Flix. My Samsung can do this and was a 150 cheaper than the PS3