[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New Yorkers/New Jerseyites...

rocknrobn26

We are taking a cruise out of New York. The airfare thru the cruise line was like $750/person! :wacko: I think I can find a better fare. :D

Not sure what dock we are leaving from...Manhattan, Brooklyn, etc..

Is the Newark Airport close enough (15-20 minute cab ride) to ALL the docks?

We might stay over night.

Is there a reasonable place to stay in New Jersey so we can just pack up and go the next day? New York hotels seem very $$$$!

The cruise leaves on a Sunday at 4:00pm.

Any suggs. appreciated.

We are taking a cruise out of New York. The airfare thru the cruise line was like $750/person! :wacko: I think I can find a better fare. :D

Not sure what dock we are leaving from...Manhattan, Brooklyn, etc..

Is the Newark Airport close enough (15-20 minute cab ride) to ALL the docks?

We might stay over night.

Is there a reasonable place to stay in New Jersey so we can just pack up and go the next day? New York hotels seem very $$$$!

The cruise leaves on a Sunday at 4:00pm.

Any suggs. appreciated.

15-20 min cab ride? seriously if you were 10 blocks or less away depending on the location you wont make it there in 15-20 mins

edit: you are gonna need to get those guys more info so they can help you

Edited by keggerz

15-20 min cab ride? seriously if you were 10 blocks or less away depending on the location you wont make it there in 15-20 mins

edit: you are gonna need to get those guys more info so they can help you

Thanks Keg.

:wacko: It's a Sunday. The last time we did this, we left from Newark and went to a Manhattan dock and the freakin' driver got lost on a Saturday and we were still there in about an hour. What other info do you guys need?

Ohhh...and one more thing....We are stopping in Boston and NONE of the off shore excursions include the USS Constitution. Dammit...I want to see that ship. :wacko: I built the plastic model twice in my life, know the history, and need to see it. The wife thinks I'm nuts but she always thinks that! :D

Is it realistic to think I can get a cab (From the Dock) to take us there and back and do the full tour in 3 hours or so?

Thanks Keg.

:wacko: It's a Sunday. The last time we did this, we left from Newark and went to a Manhattan dock and the freakin' driver got lost on a Saturday and we were still there in about an hour. What other info do you guys need?

About 10 minutes from me!! You could always stay at the Holiday Inn right by my Exit on the Turnpike at Exit 12 and then shoot up to NY. Took us about 30-35 minutes on a clear traffic day to get to the docks.

Edited by irish

About 10 minutes from me!! You could always stay at the Holiday Inn right by my Exit on the Turnpike at Exit 12 and then shoot up to NY. Took us about 30-35 minutes on a clear traffic day to get to the docks.

Sunday? Is that in Jersey? Near the Airport? Man all we need is a bed and a sammich, if we stay over. PM coming.

Tom, you could always hit up Hoboken / Weehawken and crash there. This is my town! Right on the water across from NYC. When your ship leaves NY Harbor, me and my family can wave to ya.

Depending on when you will be in town (need a specific date) I may be able yo offer you and the Missus a room to crash. We just closed and may be moving very, very soon...

To answer your question, any of the 3 major area airports are close enough to get you to the docks.

Sunday? Is that in Jersey? Near the Airport? Man all we need is a bed and a sammich, if we stay over. PM coming.

Newark Airport is at Exit 13A or 14 on the TP and the Holiday Inn that I speak of is right off of Exit 12 just minutes south of Newark Airport. My house is about 5-7 minutes from the Holiday Inn.

Tom, you could always hit up Hoboken / Weehawken and crash there. This is my town! Right on the water across from NYC. When your ship leaves NY Harbor, me and my family can wave to ya.

Depending on when you will be in town (need a specific date) I may be able yo offer you and the Missus a room to crash. We just closed and may be moving very, very soon...

To answer your question, any of the 3 major area airports are close enough to get you to the docks.

Hoboken is another solid option too as it's even closer to the city.

RR--

Philly boy, but I have developed hotels in the Meadowlands/Secaucus area, so I know a little about it.

1. On a Saturday night, prices in NYC are very high. On the other hand, the exact opposite is true of the the Airport/Meadowlands/Secaucus areas (all about 25-40 minutes via taxi from NYC (on a good day, which mid-Sunday should be). Hoboken/Weehawken would also be great choices, but you'll likely pay more since they are indeed closer to the city.

2. Since you are not stuck on staying at a certain brand, my best advice would be to Priceline a 3-or-4 star hotel in any of these markets, and bid something like $69. You should get a taker on a weekend night....these hotels are usually full during the week with the business traveller, but rather empty on the weekends.

3. PM your travel date....we own a hotel in Manhattan, and I'll check what the best rate I can get for you might be. I can't promise anything, since Saturdays are indeed very busy. If it happens to be a lighter weekend for some reason, I may be able to get you a room around $100 at a very nice, newly renovated hotel in Tudor City (east side of Manahttan). This would be great for you, since you could enjoy the city Sunday AM, and then get a 10-minute cab to the port to catch your cruise. If you stay in Jersey, you're pretty much stuck at your hotel until its time to leave....I am sure you don't want to be carrying your luggage all over NYC during the day before your cruise leaves.

Our Hotel

Lemme know if I can try to help.

RR--

Philly boy, but I have developed hotels in the Meadowlands/Secaucus area, so I know a little about it.

1. On a Saturday night, prices in NYC are very high. On the other hand, the exact opposite is true of the the Airport/Meadowlands/Secaucus areas (all about 25-40 minutes via taxi from NYC (on a good day, which mid-Sunday should be). Hoboken/Weehawken would also be great choices, but you'll likely pay more since they are indeed closer to the city.

2. Since you are not stuck on staying at a certain brand, my best advice would be to Priceline a 3-or-4 star hotel in any of these markets, and bid something like $69. You should get a taker on a weekend night....these hotels are usually full during the week with the business traveller, but rather empty on the weekends.

3. PM your travel date....we own a hotel in Manhattan, and I'll check what the best rate I can get for you might be. I can't promise anything, since Saturdays are indeed very busy. If it happens to be a lighter weekend for some reason, I may be able to get you a room around $100 at a very nice, newly renovated hotel in Tudor City (east side of Manahttan). This would be great for you, since you could enjoy the city Sunday AM, and then get a 10-minute cab to the port to catch your cruise. If you stay in Jersey, you're pretty much stuck at your hotel until its time to leave....I am sure you don't want to be carrying your luggage all over NYC during the day before your cruise leaves.

Our Hotel

Lemme know if I can try to help.

All great points, but as to the bold, if Mr. and Mrs. Wolf are around (don't know when RR dates are) we can load em up and I'll drive them to the port!

All great points, but as to the bold, if Mr. and Mrs. Wolf are around (don't know when RR dates are) we can load em up and I'll drive them to the port!

Your offer is very gracious, but I'm not gonna screw up anyone's football Sunday (late Sept.). Thank you very much for the offer, but I am going to decline. Besides staying overnight will only be a last resort.

Still wondering if it's practical to get a cab and go to the USS Constitution, allowing 3 to 4+ hours. Is it far from the cruise docks? One trip said you get a "glimpse of Old Ironsides". :D I don't want a GLIMPSE... :wacko: ...I want to walk the decks and see the whole thing! Arrrggggghhhhh!!!

Thanks again for the info. More if yall have it.

BTW, Swammi, I looked at your hotel, it's very nice, great location, but $350+ is way more than I want/need to spend (Just looking for a place to sleep the night before and prolly some food). If you could get me a better rate that would be nice. It would be Sept. 19th for one night. Let me know. If not no problem. :D

Edited by rocknrobn26