[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need Advice

Hat Trick

quick question off topic........

im not a hunter, but how the hell do you know all these things before you take the shot?? age?? inches?? if the things is 50yards away. what if you shoot one, and its not to those parameters?? scream for a medic?

LOL. As a casual hunter you wouldn't know, but everyone can learn. I want people who hunt my place to learn, that's part of hunting. Being a good hunter is one who takes ethical shots and knows his limitations. It's only fair to the game that you be on top of your game so the animal doesn't suffer. Body characterists are a true measure, not the bone on their heads. If you shoot one that's not mature then that's on you and I will be disappointed in you...there is no penalty except maybe after repeated times then I will ask you not to come back.

HT.....sounds to me you are being a good steward to the land and the wildlife on it. You have the mentality that anyone you bestow the rights to use the land should also contribute to being a good steward to it too.

That sounds reasonable to me.

And I don't think you'd feel this way about him either if he'd just spend the entire day with you on those days he comes to hunt. Instead of lighting out after his kill.....like.....got mine, see ya! Sounds like he never invites you along on all those "other things" he's doing with other friends either.

Just sounds like your friendship has changed. Cool it for a while......and see if at some time down the road, he doesn't just pick up the phone and invite you along on an excursion other than hunting on your own farm. If he does, he may be trying to make amends. Then see if you want to start your friendship over again from that point.

:wacko: It hurts to feel forced to say something unpleasant to someone....especially a friend. But I wouldn't beat yourself up too much about it. He sounds like a user lately, whether he can help it or not. Don't let his added responsibilities to family get him off the hook. We all have that.....and yet somehow we still manage to have great friends that we all do things with and keep in touch with. If your wife and his wife were such great friends, I'd think the four of you (with or without your kids) would be doing a lot of things together.

I think you've done the right thing in re-evaluating the friendship.

Good Luck Amigo! :D

HT.....sounds to me you are being a good steward to the land and the wildlife on it. You have the mentality that anyone you bestow the rights to use the land should also contribute to being a good steward to it too.

That sounds reasonable to me.

And I don't think you'd feel this way about him either if he'd just spend the entire day with you on those days he comes to hunt. Instead of lighting out after his kill.....like.....got mine, see ya! Sounds like he never invites you along on all those "other things" he's doing with other friends either.

Just sounds like your friendship has changed. Cool it for a while......and see if at some time down the road, he doesn't just pick up the phone and invite you along on an excursion other than hunting on your own farm. If he does, he may be trying to make amends. Then see if you want to start your friendship over again from that point.

:wacko: It hurts to feel forced to say something unpleasant to someone....especially a friend. But I wouldn't beat yourself up too much about it. He sounds like a user lately, whether he can help it or not. Don't let his added responsibilities to family get him off the hook. We all have that.....and yet somehow we still manage to have great friends that we all do things with and keep in touch with. If your wife and his wife were such great friends, I'd think the four of you (with or without your kids) would be doing a lot of things together.

I think you've done the right thing in re-evaluating the friendship.

Good Luck Amigo! :D

Bunz is wise.

ETA: From what I've read I think that the guy shot the buck with his kids gun in the youth season. That would lead me to end the friendship. I don't have any idea how you'd ever prove it, but HT's gut would not be wrong on this one. I've hunted for 25 years and have been shooting my whole life. A kid that does'nt like guns and can't hit a bucket at 50 yds woulda missed that deer by YARDS not inches at that distance. MHO of course.

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

HT , you have always come across to me as a good man. I think your are feeling a little used here and I agree with the way you feel. To pop in and use your land and hunting set up then dissapear and decline on any other interaction is bush league. I am glad you confronted him with this. You dont need this guy. He has turned the close friendship into a casual acquantance so thats the way you should treat him.

quick question off topic........

im not a hunter, but how the hell do you know all these things before you take the shot?? age?? inches?? if the things is 50yards away. what if you shoot one, and its not to those parameters?? scream for a medic?

You simply Throw it Back

ETA: From what I've read I think that the guy shot the buck with his kids gun in the youth season. That would lead me to end the friendship. I don't have any idea how you'd ever prove it, but HT's gut would not be wrong on this one. I've hunted for 25 years and have been shooting my whole life. A kid that does'nt like guns and can't hit a bucket at 50 yds woulda missed that deer by YARDS not inches at that distance. MHO of course.

You know.....I had the SAME thought. But I'm not a hunter.....so what do I know?? :wacko:

:D

this doesn't sound to me like you want a friend, sounds more like you want a farm hand ... :wacko:

is sharing what you have built with others truly contingent on what they put into it? your land brought him joy, brought his son joy, strengthened the friendship of your boys, and given his busy schedule and controlling wife, probably gave him a glimpse of joy in an otherwise hurried, hectic life. i'm thinking that's a helluva cool thing you can do for someone that has been your friend for many years.

i'm sorry, but you just sound selfish to me. the guy is with his family and kids, not out with other friends or lying to you. i'm obviously not as close to this as you and only you know if you are being taken for granted or not appreciated but from what you've written, it doesn't sound that way to me. why not keep the friendship connection alive by having him hunt with you a few times a year vs. cutting things off completely? who cares if he doesn't help out?

your son was happy for them ... why can't you be?

These were generally my thoughts initially as well. :D

Edited by darin3