[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

MacBook Pro

Fatman

alright, I was going to buy my Niece a Macbook for $850 (new) as a graduation present...because I thought that was the best option....

is there a better option for $850?

Not really, unless you build her a Hackintosh.

I will never run another Microsoft OS for my family use. And I've now converted most of my work apps over to MacOS as well. I'm not looking back, tasks in MacOS are soooo much simpler.

Not really, unless you build her a Hackintosh.

I will never run another Microsoft OS for my family use. And I've now converted most of my work apps over to MacOS as well. I'm not looking back, tasks in MacOS are soooo much simpler.

but in most cases, simpler isn't better....I don't think she needs something that's a lot easier to use as much as she needs something more effective...

but in most cases, simpler isn't better....I don't think she needs something that's a lot easier to use as much as she needs something more effective...

I have yet to see an argument showing that any MS OS is more effective than Unix. Got a link?

I have yet to see an argument showing that any MS OS is more effective than Unix. Got a link?

I'm reading a lot lately that Mac's are overpriced...

so for the price...I can get something better....

I am not saying something else is better....but rather that the price for the Mac is too steep for what I would be getting...

There are two camps at play here, Pro [or tolerant] Windows and Pro [or blind :wacko:] MAC. One will never convince the other they are wrong and, all things being equal, no one is wrong. Its all about personal choices when buying a laptop. But do not get any delusions that mastering the MAC O/S will lead someone to making loot in the IT industry...that will NEVER happen unless it is an isolated company/field. Microsoft pretty much has IT locked up and its not going anyone anytime soon. The chips into Microsoft's bottom line are not coming from Apple but from Linux RedHat Enterprise editions. We had to do an audit of every single Desk Top, Laptop, and Server we had in each of our facilities for MS. You basically get charged by the CPU for a MS license and we needed to ensure we were 100%.

Outside of graphics and video editing/music, Apple doesn't offer much for enterprise level solutions. Granted, independent companies and some retail companies use MACs in their stores but thats about it. And when you look at those companies, they are "hip" retail companies trying to look more hip.

Do not get me wrong, I am not pro MS or anti MAC, but I find MAC to be very arrogant for what they offer. Outside of iPhones and iPods, what else really is there? According to their 3rd qrt release in 2009, Apple sold sold 2.603 million MACs, which is a 4% increase over last year but short of their all time high of 2.611 million from 2 years ago during the holiday season. Now, iPods sold were at 10.215 million which is still really good considering more people are choosing iPhones instead of iPods. That's a difference of 7.612 million more iPods sold than MACs with iPods being what they consider a stale product. Rounding out the numbers, iPhones sold 5.208 million with the 3Gs only being available for 11 days before the qrt closed out. So you can see that Apple is not really in the laptop market like they really want to project. Their MAC books are far too costly, the warranties are too costly, and the upgrades will cost you an arm and a leg.

Factor in that, contrary to what Apple states, a lot of products simply do not run correctly on their O/S and I honestly cannot see what people jock the MAC so much more. I read a ton of reviews on the different MAC books before i purchases my first one [which was a nightmare] and all of the fine points people loves were all physical attributes - ["Its so thin"], ["Its so lights"], ["The aluminum color was awesome"] - but very little on the over all performance of non-apple/proprietary software.

The laptop I linked on the other page is by far a much better deal than the $999 mac-book 13inch. You can even upgrade the CPU to a quad core processor. Price that out with Apple if they have something comparable.

Like I said, I am not anti apple, I just can't stand the blind, "MACs are far better....." Do the homework for your self and make your decision based on your research and not the lemming mentality.

Oh, and windows doesn't make laptops, they make an O/S for laptops. that is another thing I don't understand when people preach the MAC is better than WIndows.

/rant off

AY2FDCBM :D

I did miss you all.....well cept for T_bone65, he never sends me his toilet cam video feed anymore

unix is the foundation of the mac os, so i'm not sure what you are asking for.

what I had quoted stated that a PC is more effective than a Mac. At least that is what I read out of it...

Cliaz, as for the up-front cost, i agree that Mac's are expensive when compared to the same hardware running Windows. I think the cost of running trouble-free Unix with a sweet front end is worth it. I had seriously considered building a hackintosh for home, but with two kids now, i don't make the time to mess with my computer anymore. And trouble-shooting it while the mrs is pissed she cannot access her recipes, tv shows, or some such is worth the extra cost of just buying the mac outright.

Microsoft pretty much has IT locked up and its not going anyone anytime soon.

This is simply untrue.

88.6% of the worlds most powerful computers run Linux.

Linux absolutely dominates the webserver market, with Microsoft in the single digit percentages of the total. You can tell this because the servers are publicly visible.

It's pretty impossible to tell what the market share is for office servers, because Linux servers are built, not purchased, and there's no easy way to poll them all, but I'd suspect that Linux is a pretty damn high percentage. Microsoft kills linux in the server sales numbers, but who buys a linux server?

Edited by AtomicCEO

This is simply untrue.

Linux absolutely dominates the webserver market, with Microsoft in the single digit percentages of the total. You can tell this because the servers are publicly visible.

It's pretty impossible to tell what the market share is for office servers, because Linux servers are built, not purchased, and there's no easy way to poll them all, but I'd suspect that Linux is a pretty damn high percentage. Microsoft kills linux in the server sales numbers, but who buys a linux server?

I have to disagree with you Atomic but note that my disagreement is solely based on my personal "professional" experience. We have 71 global smart centers using standard managed hosting, cloud computing, and virtual computing with 83% of the physical servers running one for or another of windows enterprise level O/Ss.

ETA - 73% not 83%.

Edited by cliaz

This is simply untrue.

When I was gainfully employed in the IT space, the company I was working for was quietly switching everything that wasn't directly tied to worker productivity (i.e.domain security, email, collaboration) over to Linux. We just bought Dell 1U servers with no OS and threw RedHat Enterprise on them. No surprise there really when you realize how much was saved in OS licensing costs alone.

That being said, the desktop wasn't leaving MS any time soon.If anything, Sharepoint, SMS, NetMeeting, etc was helping strengthen that death grip MS has.

:wacko:

i think atomic was quoting facts.

Well, they were internet facts... so there's a margin of error.

And it's quite possibly that Cliaz has worked for a lot of companies where 73% or 83% of their servers are Windows. What that tells me is that he's worked for some pretty stupid companies. Where have you worked again, Cliaz?

Well, they were internet facts... so there's a margin of error.

And it's quite possibly that Cliaz has worked for a lot of companies where 73% or 83% of their servers are Windows. What that tells me is that he's worked for some pretty stupid companies. Where have you worked again, Cliaz?

Verizon, but it isn't the company, its what the client purchase and request that we support.