[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

no public option

CaP'N GRuNGe

And once again, you make my point for me. You don't want freedom, you just want to argue over a different set of chains.

I have a funny little diatribe about hippies. When I was younger I had a stereotypical image of hippies of being non-judgmental and free of ego. As I got older, I realized that the stereotype didn’t always fit. Many a hippie I’ve met felt their sometimes oversimplified black and white philosophy made them enlightened, free of chains, and in general, better than everyone else who didn’t get it.

What they didn’t understand is their philosophical views weren’t always correct and continually sticking to one mindset made them hypocritical on how the regarded other people’s views (or lifestyles). It is ironic, to watch someone feel enlightened and be so blissfully unaware of their own chains.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a funny little diatribe about hippies. When I was younger I had a stereotypical image of hippies of being non-judgmental and free of ego. As I got older, I realized that the stereotype didn't always fit. Many a hippie I've met felt their sometimes oversimplified black and white philosophy made them enlightened, free of chains, and in general, better than everyone else who didn't get it.

What they didn't understand is their philosophical views weren't always correct and continually sticking to one mindset made them hypocritical on how the regarded other people's views (or lifestyles). It is ironic, to watch someone feel enlightened and be so blissfully unaware of their own chains.

Here's a tip: When you're telling these little stories, have a point. TIA

Here's a tip: When you're telling these little stories, have a point. TIA

I think his point is that, for all your rambling about liberty, it is you who are truly shackled. true freedom comes only from the sweet milk of empowerment out of the teat of a beneficent philosopher king.

or something like that.

I think his point is that, for all your rambling about liberty, it is you who are truly shackled. true freedom comes only from the sweet milk of empowerment out of the teat of a beneficent philosopher king.

or something like that.

Ahh, so he's a Hobbes man - our lives our nasty, brutish and short and we cannot experience true freedom but for the benevolent dictatorship?

FWIW, I'm leaning towards the simple state-funded-through-taxation catastrophic insurance coupled with mandatory HSA / pay for the rest of it yourself idea. What the Frankenstein lurching out of Congress does is further patch up and expand a system that absolutely has to fail through lack of accountability.

The LASIK argument made in the article Az linked to is very convincing.

+.90 - the 1/10th deduction for that nasty "mandatory" in there. :wacko: