[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I need a new computer

ftblfan

My Dell computer, which I've had for 4+ years, seems to be getting slow and freezes up on my briefly from time to time. I really don't know a whole heck about computers. 95% of what I use mine for is internet use. I bought the 07 collection, EA Sports featuring Tiger Woods PGA tour etc. to play on my computer a year + ago, but it doesn't work. It just spins withing the drive. So, how many megabytes, kegawhater, etc., would you recommend to me for mostly Internet use, but for playing games, I have also downloaded Yahoo games in the past, they work fine, but even they are slow sometimes. I also download pics from time to time. We have a Best Buy in town. Also a WalMart. Those are probably my best options unless I order from Dell or whoever over the Internet. I'm really not concerned with any cost of one. It's worth having one that works and plan on having a long time. Thanks!

i'm extremely faithful to toshiba laptops. i'm on my 3rd and have never had any in the shop. the only reason i've replaced them is just age of the processor and not being able to handle newer software i'm using for my grad class. i just bought a new one that will handle anything i throw at it for under 800 bucks.

my wife is a diehard mac fan and i've never seen her have problems either but you would need to adjust your mind slightly until you get up to speed with the interface. different but nothing that will take weeks to learn or anything.

For you, I think I'd get a Dell. The warranty and support (on-site service) are worth it IMO. The only other advice I will give you is the same advice I have always given concerning a computer purchase. Buy as much computer as you can afford (baddest processor, biggest hardrive, max memory) because it is already obsolete by the time you get it through your door. This way you will get the longest possible life out of your purchase.

If you have a microcenter around you this is not a bad setup for the money.

free upgrade to windows 7.

has a tuner and hdmi hook up.

The intregrated video will play most games.

by all means its not a big time gaming machine but it will more than due what you want it to do.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_...duct_id=0318185

Original Price: $379.99

Our Price: $349.99

You Save: $30.00

SKU: 312843

Mfr Part #: PT.G830X.009

UPC: 884483851256

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 7450

6GB DDR2 SDRAM

320GB Hard Drive

LabelFlash SuperMulti 18x DVD±RW Dual Layer Drive

Multi-in-One Digital Media Reader

ATi Radeon HD3200 Video Chipset

Analog/Digital TV Tuner

10/100/1000 Network

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit)

Display Not Included

Processor Speed 2.4GHz

The only other advice I will give you is the same advice I have always given concerning a computer purchase. Buy as much computer as you can afford (baddest processor, biggest hardrive, max memory) because it is already obsolete by the time you get it through your door. This way you will get the longest possible life out of your purchase.

This is the advice i got on my last purchase. It was sage advice as my computer is still kicking ass 4 years later.

Edited by tbimm

For you, I think I'd get a Dell. The warranty and support (on-site service) are worth it IMO. The only other advice I will give you is the same advice I have always given concerning a computer purchase. Buy as much computer as you can afford (baddest processor, biggest hardrive, max memory) because it is already obsolete by the time you get it through your door. This way you will get the longest possible life out of your purchase.

For this reason alone then, you should get a PC with the i7 core with the 1366 socket set. The Nehalem chips are the best chips out there, bar none. Yes, there are a couple of other new i7's out there now, but they are on a different socket set. I would get the i7 920 chip and never look back. It easily overclocks on air from 2.66GHZ to the mid 3GHZs. Also, considering the long term implications, the Intel 6 core chips that will be coming out in the future will be on the 1366 socket set. That takes care of future-proofing your chip as much as possible as well. Good luck...I love doing the new computer thing, even though I prefer to build my own.

For this reason alone then, you should get a PC with the i7 core with the 1366 socket set. The Nehalem chips are the best chips out there, bar none. Yes, there are a couple of other new i7's out there now, but they are on a different socket set. I would get the i7 920 chip and never look back. It easily overclocks on air from 2.66GHZ to the mid 3GHZs. Also, considering the long term implications, the Intel 6 core chips that will be coming out in the future will be on the 1366 socket set. That takes care of future-proofing your chip as much as possible as well. Good luck...I love doing the new computer thing, even though I prefer to build my own.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm :wacko:

1000 bucks

Acer Predator 7710 Gaming PC: Intel Core i7 940 2.93GHz, 6GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, 896MB nVIDIA GTX260, 750W PSU, Logitech G11 Keyboard, Vista Home Premium 64 $1033

compusa has the Acer Aspire Predator 7710 Gaming PC for $1000.

Specs:

Intel Core i7 940 2.93GHz Processor

6GB DDR3-1066 (PC3-8500) Memory

1TB 3.5" SATA II 7200RPM Hard Drive

SuperMulti DVD±RW Dual Layer Labelflash

NVIDIA GTX 260 896MB PCI Express Video Card

2x Gigabit LAN

Realtek ALC888S High Definition 7.1 Sound Card

2.0 Front Speakers

56Kbps PCI Fax/Modem

750 Watt Power Supply

2x eSATA Ports