[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

the lady wants 2get a dog for Xmas..for 9yr son

AFRO

Not to sound harsh or anything, but maybe right now is not the best time to get a dog.

no harsh tone detected Chief,

THIS IS MY THOUGHT TOO!! :wacko:

Kid has enough shizzle as it is! (which is partially what prompted her to go this route; she is running out of things/ideas for what to get him. he dosent really need any more toys, or video games/systems -well, between him and I we got most of the bases covered.. lol-

kid has all of his needs get met, and most of his wants too!)

and like I said, This will essenitally be MY dog, -that she/he owns vicariously thru me- because I know, I will have to do everything and be 'Alpha' presence..which again is why I want to have some heavy weigh in, when it comes to the type we get..and parts of the underlying reasons why I dont want a GldnDood as my first choice of dogs -or even fifth- ...nothing wrong with the type, just not my prefrence..

I am trying to balance the pressure of her wanting;

1. the GldnDood,

2. wanting to get it soon,

3. it IS a Surprize for Xmas gift.. (I am not opposed to the idea, just dont want to be rushed into a decision when we really dont have to)

but then not being a complete prick about expressing the need for time to contemplate a decision like this. (and putting my foot down as nicely as I can toward the type we get) and convincing her that its not something we can just impulsively get; with out thrououghly thinking thru and planning..and getting her to realize its a not like having fish..

it will need sleeping space, exercise routine, food, love, shots, yadda yadda..

ALL on top of the regular lifestyle we have; which is pretty packed as it is.. :D

The only reason Weims aren't "good with kids" is because they're high energy. The only harm they'll do the kids is knock them over unintentionally. They're big, muscular dogs, but generally have very mild temperments. My male is a bit of a lunatic, but he's a rare exception. They are awesome companions. Smart, strong willed, high energy, stubborn, very trainable, and very people oriented. Do not get this dog if you plan on being away for large portions of the day. I would also highly recommend not bringing a Weim to a kennel for boarding.

A few points:

They love to swim. :wacko:

They're very active and high energy, but love the couch when they get a break.

They will want to go with you wherever you go.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

The only reason Weims aren't "good with kids" is because they're high energy. The only harm they'll do the kids is knock them over unintentionally. They're big, muscular dogs, but generally have very mild temperments. My male is a bit of a lunatic, but he's a rare exception. They are awesome companions. Smart, strong willed, high energy, stubborn, very trainable, and very people oriented. Do not get this dog if you plan on being away for large portions of the day. I would also highly recommend not bringing a Weim to a kennel for boarding.

A few points:

They love to swim. :wacko:

They're very active and high energy, but love the couch when they get a break.

They will want to go with you wherever you go.

I second that emotion on all counts. Sure, they are a little clumsy, a little high energy, but gentle and tolerant with children. My biggest complaint is that I can't get them off the damned furniture because they always want to sit right next to me.

Isnt that a Mastaff? :D

I tried that route too..( him and the Bermese Mt dog,) she was like Mastaff?!? Im like I know.. but I also dont want a BEAST either.. (big, not beastly..) plus I dont wanta shell out massive jack for a pup.. esp if its not a pure breed dog.

it seems I have made some ground. It dosent HAVE to be Xmas present! so that buys me some time to plan further..

and it seems between the two of us, so far we can settle on a Labradoodle.. She just aint going for the poor Wiemer. :D:wacko: that is one of my top choices... but they aint got enough hair for her.. (which I think is just silly)

we may have a lead on a labradoodle owner near town that has some 9wk old pups with shots and such..so this may be quicker then I was even expecting..

I can just tell she wants a pup pretty darn bad..its like her mind is in the 'cat-pounce' stance...ready to jump on anyting that moves..

Isnt that a Mastaff? :D

Mastiff, yes.

Mastaff, no.

and it seems between the two of us, so far we can settle on a Labradoodle.. She just aint going for the poor Wiemer. :D:wacko: that is one of my top choices... but they aint got enough hair for her.. (which I think is just silly)

we may have a lead on a labradoodle owner near town that has some 9wk old pups with shots and such..so this may be quicker then I was even expecting.. I can just tell she wants a pup pretty darn bad..its like her mind is in the 'cat-pounce' stance...ready to jump on anyting that moves.

1) Please re-read my post about Goldendoodles, Labradoodles, Yorki-poos and all other "designer dogs". Only BUY a dog from a reputable breeder, not just any old someone that is smart enough to figure out that boy dogs will like a girl dog twice a year. Unless the dog has come from 3-5 generations of that gene pool (i.e., a labradoodle gene pool where each generation was only labradoodle's and no purebred labs or poodles were introduced for the 3-5 generations) and has been bred for temperment and structural integrity, you may wish you had never seen the dog.

2) If you want something other than a pure bred dog (including labradoodles, etc), they can be had for a few bucks from a shelter. Go that way; do not encourage these back-yard-breeders.

3) Has your girl ever been around a Weimeraner or other "short" haired dog?

4) If you're going to give up something to her that will have positive benefits to her every day (but, oftentimes is an inconvenience for you), make sure she "gives up" something to you that will have positive benefits to you every day (that may be an inconvenience to her). :D

Edited by muck