[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

back up fail

loaf

So my laptop, which I house my itunes on virused out. had to flatten it. so I bought a seagate external drive to put my music on. went to reimport the music and the drive died. Really? it was a week old? 31 gigs of music lost. seagate customer service wants to send me to their data recovery folks but I don't feel that I should have to pay (haven't contacted them yet as I just found out Right Now and just got off the phone with seagate) to get this data recovered...anyone ever been in this kinda situation? any advice?

So my laptop, which I house my itunes on virused out. had to flatten it. so I bought a seagate external drive to put my music on. went to reimport the music and the drive died. Really? it was a week old? 31 gigs of music lost. seagate customer service wants to send me to their data recovery folks but I don't feel that I should have to pay (haven't contacted them yet as I just found out Right Now and just got off the phone with seagate) to get this data recovered...anyone ever been in this kinda situation? any advice?

Doubt they would charge you for it.

What kind of "died"?

if the drive has power and spins, you may be able to get the data off it yourself. Plenty of software out there that can retrieve the data. Just be advised that the songs probably won't be labeled and you'd have to rename them from the generic retrieved file name.

died meaning the lights don't light up and the drive doesn't spin.

Check the power cord and really seat it hard.... had the same problem and it is a bad power connection on the drive.

Not that you didn't already try that I am sure...but figured I would mention prior experience.

if the drive has power and spins, you may be able to get the data off it yourself. Plenty of software out there that can retrieve the data. Just be advised that the songs probably won't be labeled and you'd have to rename them from the generic retrieved file name.

Good info here. Assuming the drive REALLY died, the small print says Seagate is NOT responsible for data. No dis intended, but one BU is not enough. My photos, docs, and music are on 3 different puters and at least 2 hard drives. May not have it sync'd but I also have DVDs. Could lose some data, but not all. Hope you can get it back loaf. FWIW...I have had multiple puters and HD's go down almost simultaneously, thus my analism. :wacko:

Check the power cord and really seat it hard.... had the same problem and it is a bad power connection on the drive.

Not that you didn't already try that I am sure...but figured I would mention prior experience.

And try a different power connector. They aren't the most reliable either. Pins sometimes pop out a little.

Most of the external drives I've had actually had a regular IDE or SATA drive under the case. Would it be nuts to crack the case and get at the drive inside? It's probably just the cheap little power supply of the enclosure that went kaput. I'd seriously consider it if I was facing total data loss. The drive inside could probably be mounted directly in a PC or in another enclosure.

If its a power problem on the drive itself, and not a platter failure, fixing it and recovering your data completely should be a really easy job for Seagate or someone who knows what they are doing.