[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lance Moore Touchdown

Cunning Runt

Was it a lateral or a pass.....  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Was Moore's TD a pass reception or a lateral?

• Lateral
    • Pass

Could make a difference to a lot of people. Currently it shows as a pass. I just caught the replay and slo-mo'd it and it was pretty clearly to me a backwards pass (ie a lateral). Do you think it stands as a Brees TD pass or is changed to a Moore TD run? Could seriously have significant implications in a lot of games this week.

Edited by Cunning Runt

look where Moore catches it and it is at or in front (just a bit) from where it is thrown...

brees releases the ball (hand is around 10-10 1/2 yd line) Moore catches it at the 10 1/2...so close I doubt it gets changed

Edited by keggerz

Those of you saying "pass", I'm curious if you're saying that it will officially stay a pass, or you actually believe that it was a forward pass. If you think it was a forward pass, do a slo mo of the replay. It's pretty obvious really.

I think there's a reasonable chance the play is adjusted and turns into a Moore TD run.

look where Moore catches it and it is at or in front (just a bit) from where it is thrown...

brees releases the ball (hand is around 10-10 1/2 yd line) Moore catches it at the 10 1/2...so close I doubt it gets changed

Brees is in front of the 10 when he lets it go. I just frame by frame slo-mo'd it. Looks pretty clear.

look at the ball not where brees is

I just did again. Still looks like the flight of the ball is going backward and that Brees and the ball both are inside the 10 when it's released.

I'm not saying it WILL be changed. I'm saying it was a backwards pass IMO and by rule should be scored a lateral.

Doesn't the Elias Sports Bureau make all the official rulings on this kind of thing?

I just did again. Still looks like the flight of the ball is going backward and that Brees and the ball both are inside the 10 when it's released.

I'm not saying it WILL be changed. I'm saying it was a backwards pass IMO and by rule should be scored a lateral.

Doesn't the Elias Sports Bureau make all the official rulings on this kind of thing?

Yeah, but they won't come out until later this week. And like I said, they have been calling those kind of plays TD passes lately.

Yeah, but they won't come out until later this week. And like I said, they have been calling those kind of plays TD passes lately.

Ok, so then my next question is this.... when do MFL's stats become official? Let's say hypothetically it's changed to a lateral. I think those rulings come out on Thursdays.

What happens to MFL scoring?

I stop-motioned it, too, and it looks pretty clear to me that he lets it go with the ball right on teh 10 and the ball is past the 10 when caught. Gonna be tough to overturn that.

Ok, so then my next question is this.... when do MFL's stats become official? Let's say hypothetically it's changed to a lateral. I think those rulings come out on Thursdays.

What happens to MFL scoring?

MFL scoring has an option for your scores to be updated after Elias' rulings come out. Either it updates them, or it leaves them alone. Depends on your leagues settings. This is the first time you've had an issue with that all year?

I stop-motioned it, too, and it looks pretty clear to me that he lets it go with the ball right on teh 10 and the ball is past the 10 when caught. Gonna be tough to overturn that.

I slow'mo'd it as well. It looked like it pretty much went down the 10 yard line, maybe ever so slightly forward. But Brees' momentum is carrying him backwards. I don't think it will get overturned.

You're probably right. They won't.

I'm against Brees and I'm pretty damn pleased even if that stands as a TD. Call me greedy, but I do think it was a lateral and would like to have that TD taken from Brees' stat line. Every last point matters when it's win or go-home time like it is in almost leagues right now.

You're probably right. They won't.

I'm against Brees and I'm pretty damn pleased even if that stands as a TD. Call me greedy, but I do think it was a lateral and would like to have that TD taken from Brees' stat line. Every last point matters when it's win or go-home time like it is in almost leagues right now.

I'm going against Brees too, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up. I'll take gladly take 1 TD and 3 turnovers.

Voters for pass, are you voting that you don't think the official stats will be changed to reflect that this was a lateral, or are you voting that this play actually was a forward pass??

Personally I do think it was a forward pass. I also think that since that was the call on the field, it would be nearly impossible to reverse the call later.

Personally I do think it was a forward pass. I also think that since that was the call on the field, it would be nearly impossible to reverse the call later.

There was no "call on the field". This was the "call by the announcer", or maybe a "call by the statistician". There was no reason for a "call on the field", unless the pass would have been dropped, where we'd get to see if the play was ruled a live ball; or if Lance Moore decided to throw a pass himself.

I agree that it's going to be hard to overturn because it was soooooo close. If it was a forward pass, it was maybe a tenth of a yard forward. Remember, even a straight sideways pass is not a forward pass, and not counted as such.

We might need stat keepers to start conversing with the head referee so we can get calls on the field for stats.