[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Obama in the elephant's den

Ursa Majoris

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tosberg34.....take note.

Now that the Democrats have their man in office they are only NOW interested in bipartisanship? They weren't so interested in it from 2000-2008. They've stirred up a lot of bad blood with their constant attacks (personal and other) against Bush and conservatives during those years and now just expect everyone to hold hands and sing Kum-bay-ah? Not only that, Reid AND Pelosi have excluded Repubs from just about EVERYTHING yet turn around and say Repubs are the party of no. That's BS and everyone knows it. What bipartisanship are you talking about? Is it the kind where everyone has to agree with YOUR view all the time? Because that's the only "bipartisanship" the Dems are offering IMO.

It's going to take more than just showing up at one meeting (and not even answering the hard questions at that) to get over this hump. However, I agree that it's a step in the right direction. But I don't expect it to change overnight. I'd say the Repubs are VERY interested in bipartanship and the fact that some of them didn't like what Obama said during the meeting doesn't mean that it won't happen. There is a HUGE ideological gap between the two parties and to expect Repubs/Conservatives to sacrifice their principles because Obama said so is ridiculous.

Edited by tosberg34

nope. that's obviously a huge problem with our country right now. I simply asked if he thought it was'nt true. Don't put words in my mouth.

EDIT: does your stating that the Dems would also do it make it right?

No it does not but it sure seemed one sided.

Yea the Prez has the power to go in and play tough guy. What would have happened if the repubs would have asked questions like "Why did you not let cameras in your Health care meetings" "Why did your stimulus not create jobs" if they would have asked the tough questions I am sure cameras would have been off or the questions were actually not allowed.

A big part of the praise he is getting is for saying that these guys were at the ribbon cutting - all I am saying is that he is ripping on them for that when he would have done the exact same thing.

I personally think Obama/Pelosi/Reid are jokes.

Even though this was amusing to see the right getting called out for their shenanigans . . I dount it will result in anything concrete. The right have hung their hat on just doing the opposite of everything this administration presents and does. They have been pandering to their base though Faux News in lockstep opposition since Obama was elected. The right is WAAAYYY too concerned with their own base and jobs than actually governing and helping to lead the country. Instead of participating, they would rather just sit on their hands for the next four years.

:wacko:

No it does not but it sure seemed one sided.

Yea the Prez has the power to go in and play tough guy. What would have happened if the repubs would have asked questions like "Why did you not let cameras in your Health care meetings" "Why did your stimulus not create jobs" if they would have asked the tough questions I am sure cameras would have been off or the questions were actually not allowed.

A big part of the praise he is getting is for saying that these guys were at the ribbon cutting - all I am saying is that he is ripping on them for that when he would have done the exact same thing.

I personally think Obama/Pelosi/Reid are jokes.

:D They DID ask that question . . . . .and the cameras were still rolling . . . OOPS. :wacko: They had their chance to ask the tough questions!! If they didnt, then it is ON THEM. Jeez hold your own party responsible for SOMETHING . . . .

I agree on Reid and Pelosi . . but Obama is the best leader in over 9 years this country has had.

I voted for McCain. (I vote alphabetically a lot). But after watching MSNBC with the slant of their commentary (led by Obermann) it appeared that the Republican congressmen were much more interested in making talking points rather than a real question/answer meeting with the president. They came off looking like...like...like politicians. Ursa's point about the republicans working themselves into a corner by painting everything Obama does as being of the devil is correct. They simply can't be seen as to even appear to be cooperating with this administration because that would make them (gasp) partners to the evil the Dems are constructing. What an idiot strategy.

I loved the line our President used at the beginning. "The American people are not more interested in us keeping our jobs. They're more interested in keeping theirs." Or words to that effect. Knock off the junior high drama games Republicans/Democrats. We sent you there to do a job, mainly to help run/guide/protect this country.

And Mr. President, I don't agree with everything you or your party does, but I want to believe you're there because you want this nation to continue to be a great place for your children, too. My prayers are still with you.

What a joke. What is the biggest reason Obama did this? His poll numbers are tanking and he is trying to keep HIS job. Flippin hypocrite!!

:D They DID ask that question . . . . .and the cameras were still rolling . . . OOPS. :wacko: They had their chance to ask the tough questions!! If they didnt, then it is ON THEM. Jeez hold your own party responsible for SOMETHING . . . .

I agree on Reid and Pelosi . . but Obama is the best leader in over 9 years this country has had.

I can't wait for spring.

What a joke. What is the biggest reason Obama did this? His poll numbers are tanking and he is trying to keep HIS job. Flippin hypocrite!!

:D this gets better and better!!!

Obama isnt up for re-election for 3 more years, and he has TERM LIMITS. That line was to the career politicians that stay in Congress for decades and decades . . . IN BOTH parties.

Yeah . . he is REALLY saying that for a re-election bid 3 years from now . . .:wacko::D:D

Even though this was amusing to see the right getting called out for their shenanigans . . I dount it will result in anything concrete. The right have hung their hat on just doing the opposite of everything this administration presents and does. They have been pandering to their base though Faux News in lockstep opposition since Obama was elected. The right is WAAAYYY too concerned with their own base and jobs than actually governing and helping to lead the country. Instead of participating, they would rather just sit on their hands for the next four years.

:D

BP - you need to hold your own party responsible first. Progress is not calling out the right every chance you get and blaming them for your mistakes. Obama seems more interested in playing President than actually being President. While i have not doubt Obama "thinks" he is helping the country, the rest of us believe that his policies and agenda, along with Pelosi and Reed, are going to ruin this country, or at the very least cripple it immensely. There is no middle ground with them - it's all their way or no way. And that's fine - they have ALL the power right now just don't blame the right every time something they try fails.

Hey - he wanted the job so maybe he should stop pointing fingers and try leading for once. This whole "blame Bush" and "it's not my fault" is getting quite tiresome and makes him look even weaker than he already is. Bushwacked was right when he said:

What a bunch of whiny babies.

Spot on, Bushwacked! The Dems need to man up. :wacko:

Edited by tosberg34

:shakeshead: That mentality is what's wrong with America. People are more interested in seeing failure than success. That only puts us on a never ending loop of throwing out the incumbents. The party out of power always talks a good game, but once they're in the drivers seat they are invariably just as Megan Foxy as the guys they ousted.

Pretty much sums it up.

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."

Politics has been allowed to devolve to the point the competition will never allow enough cooperation between the left and right to serve the best interests of America. Frustrating :wacko:

The height of arrogance. Obama once again looks like a spoiled child. The GOP offers him this olive branch and he hits them over the head with it. That is real conducive to bipartisanship.

Sorry, didn't read the whole thread yet and I'm sure/hope this has been shot down a dozen times already. Olive Branch? Did you catch the first "question" lobbed by Pence? Hardly a hearty welcome. Those guys were licking their chops and brought him into the lion's den. Most of their questions weren't questions but a string of talking points with "Can you respond to this?" stuck on the end. And it blew up in their faces. Sucks for them.

Politics has been allowed to devolve to the point the competition will never allow enough cooperation between the left and right to serve the best interests of America. Frustrating :wacko:

Exactly right. Congress is one step away from the British system of booing each other while they are talking . .

I agree that BOTH sides have to give to get things done. Neither side will ever get everything they want and that's

how it should be. But what I have seen in the last year borders on down right scary sometimes. Like the Obama

posters with the Hitler mustache. I mean com'on! That's just straight out hatred and evil. I hold the Rebup

party partly responsible for that kind of stuff.

This kind of behavior, imo, starts on the GOP side of the chambers. They foster it. They don't denounce it.

We all know they are trying their damnedest to gain back what they have lost. I don't blame them for that.

I do hold them accountable for the way they are going about it.

Pelosi needs a slap and Reid needs a cuff on the back of the head to get them off their high horse. Agreed.

The repubs need to take the high rode and deal with the country's problems. Hell, if they did that

instead of being a road block, the dems would be on the defensive in a HUGE way because they have the majority.

I have hope that both sides will start to give and work together, over time. Obama's meeting with them will be the catalyst.

I just don't think he will stand by and let nothing get done on his watch.

I agree that BOTH sides have to give to get things done. Neither side will ever get everything they want and that's

how it should be. But what I have seen in the last year borders on down right scary sometimes. Like the Obama

posters with the Hitler mustache. I mean com'on! That's just straight out hatred and evil. I hold the Rebup

This kind of behavior, imo, starts on the GOP side of the chambers. They foster it. They don't denounce it.

We all know they are trying their damnedest to gain back what they have lost. I don't blame them for that.

Pelosi needs a slap and Reid needs a cuff on the back of the head to get them off their high horse. Agreed.

The repubs need to take the high rode and deal with the country's problems. Hell, if they did that

instead of being a road block, the dems would be on the defensive in a HUGE way because they have the majority.

I have hope that both sides will start to give and work together, over time. Obama's meeting with them will be the catalyst.

Great post . . . . .

See, here we go again with this "high road" stuff. From 2000-2008 Dems NEVER took the high road but now that their guy is in office suddenly everyone is supposed to be "better than that" and take the high ground. That's hypocritical of them to take that position after 8 years of vicious attacks on the President and Conservatives. Calling out the right is ridiculous when that same behavior existed on the other side of the aisle for 8 years of the Bush administration. It frustrates me to no end that you people on the left are suddenly acting all pious, high and mighty and everyone is supposed to cave in to your demands because only NOW do you want to help America. Where were you with these calls from 2000-2008? Oh yeah, doing the same thing the right is doing now.

Please don't misrepresent what I'm saying. I AGREE that both sides need to find common ground to get things done but "bipartisanship" is not caving into the Democrats demands. Besides, this call for bipartisanship by the Democrats has been completely hollow so far and nothing bu a dog and pony show so they can say, "see, we tried" without really trying.

Quick fact check for apologists for the Repblicans "slash and burn" obstructionism.

During the two year term of the 109th Congress, when the Dem's were still the minority party, there were 52 cloture votes. A Cloture vote is demanding a "super majority" to avoid a filibuster.

In ONE year of the Republicans being the minority in the Senate, ther have already been 60 cloture votes needed. Including on simple procedural motions, which only wastes time. The all-time cloture record is 61 over a TWO YEAR period. We already have 60 one year in!

In the face of those immutable FACTS, how can anyone say that the current minority is being anything BUT unnecessarily obstructionist, and preventing ANY business from getting done? :wacko:

Quick fact check for apologists for the Repblicans "slash and burn" obstructionism.

During the two year term of the 109th Congress, when the Dem's were still the minority party, there were 52 cloture votes. A Cloture vote is demanding a "super majority" to avoid a filibuster.

In ONE year of the Republicans being the minority in the Senate, ther have already been 60 cloture votes needed. Including on simple procedural motions, which only wastes time. The all-time cloture record is 61 over a TWO YEAR period. We already have 60 one year in!

In the face of those immutable FACTS, how can anyone say that the current minority is being anything BUT unnecessarily obstructionist, and preventing ANY business from getting done? :wacko:

Exactly, not even close to how it was when the tables were turned.

Oh snap.

Obama certainly hit upon this last night. He explained how the GOP has painted itself into a position where they simply can't negotiate or compromise at all because they've spent Obama's entire time in office painting him as the Devil intent on destroying the country. How, then, can you be seen giving in, even the slightest, to such a person?