[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

digital camera help.

Dr. Sacrebleu

I need a new digital camera.

Mostly to take pictures of my 3 year old, and for work (decorative painter) in often poorly lit situations (like a church for example).

NOTHING ELSE matters to me other than those two requirements (ie low light, and movement)

It does not matter if it is point and shoot or SLR, but I do have a pretty tight budget (200-450 dollars).

All recomendations appreciated.

Is there a sight that compares thos two criteria?

Thank you.

I need a new digital camera.

Mostly to take pictures of my 3 year old, and for work (decorative painter) in often poorly lit situations (like a church for example).

NOTHING ELSE matters to me other than those two requirements (ie low light, and movement)

It does not matter if it is point and shoot or SLR, but I do have a pretty tight budget (200-450 dollars).

All recomendations appreciated.

Is there a sight that compares thos two criteria?

Thank you.

Check out the photography forum.

Noob :wacko:

are you kidding me?

Have you GONE to that forum?

You need a wizard robe and hat, just to get in, and be a level 12 Nerd with two grand to spend on a Retro-mumenschantz Inflexor Current Leica Lens to get any traction there....

I'm looking for answers from, you know....normal people. :D:D

1st :wacko:

2nd :D

and lastly, I hate to say it but with your budget I doubt there is much if anything that will me your requirements for low level lighting in churches....Actually, I have a creative idea or two but will need to dig a bit when I get home from work tonite.

well I had a quick second so here goes...

the Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II lens better known as the "nifty fifty" will fill your needs for low light shooting: review and you can buy it for $99.95 with free shipping from Adorama

Then you can get a Canon Rebel XT Refurbished from Adorama for $289.95 with free shipping that would put you at a total of $389.94 but I would recomend

getting the Canon Rebel XT Refurbished with the 18-55 kit lens for $349.95 with free shipping that would give you a DSLR & 2 lenses (1 which will be very good in low light) for a grand total of $449.90

EDIT: I should point out that the Camera is refurbished by Canon and comes with a 90 day warranty...Adorama sells MACK Warranties if you want to extend the warranty, but for that amount I wouldn't suggest you need too....The XT is one of their older models but it is still a very nice camera....It was actually my 1st DSLR and I have some pics posted in the photography forum that I took with it....Also, my current Canon 40D is a refurb that I bought from Adorama and I have had ZERO issues with it...it looked brand spanking new when I got it and you couldn't tell the difference between it and a non-refurbed unit.

EDIT 2: Also it looks like their supply is very low...not saying you should jump before you had time to make a decision but just understand that if you drag your feet you could miss out on this deal (other sites show as being out of stock too)

Edited by keggerz

I have the Nikon D40 DSLR and really like. It takes good pictures on regular auto, but you might want to do some reading/take a class if you want to get into all the options. Buy.com has a refurb unit for $476. Linky

the only problem with that "package" is that the kit lens it comes with won't really be very helpful in low light situations.

Sacrebleu.....decorative painting and finishing was in my repertoire for years. Trying to take pics

of that kind of work, with a point and shoot pocket digital will just piss you off. You'll lose all the

subtleties of your work. Those cams are not capable of what you need to achieve.

Follow keg's advice....you are in very good and capable hands....and SAVE yourself some cash

and a bunch of frustration.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to bump this to thank evryone, and especially keggerz for the advice.

For the time being, I am still an idiot taking pictures, and on auto mode still have a bunch of out of focus pictures of my child. So clearly I really need to read the manual more (i literally know nothing). The nifty fifty lens on the other hand just rocks for pictures of my work and low light stuff. Just love it. This really has been a very good solution to my problem, once I step up my photo skills.

One pitfall that could have cost me really dearly is that the Adorama site, once you give them your address, and your credit card number, THEN inform you that you are responsible for any duty taxes. My package went through customs untaxed, but it could have seriously bumped up the price of the item. Being that this item was really on the upper limit of my budget, I am very glad to have dodged that bullet.

Thank you alll...