[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Detroit High Schools Teach How To Work at Walmart...

fwiw, yeah it is crazy to think a school is training kids to work at walmart but ...retail is a field that can offer a very good wage for people who don't have a college education....I have hired and also know of others that had nothing more than a HS Diploma and they were making $30K-$80K in retail management...not the most glamorous job but one that can reward those without a college education.

Edit: and many of the people I am referring to got their start in retail during HS as a first job.

+1

I see no difference between this and the shop classes we took back when we were in high school. Times are different. Odds of a kid in our current world falling back on stuff learn from a shop class (auto, ect) are significantly less than a kid falling back on training on how to work in retail.

I see nothing wrong with this considering the region of the US it is being implemented in.

+1

I see no difference between this and the shop classes we took back when we were in high school. Times are different. Odds of a kid in our current world falling back on stuff learn from a shop class (auto, ect) are significantly less than a kid falling back on training on how to work in retail.

I see nothing wrong with this considering the region of the US it is being implemented in.

c'mon people. Big difference between shop class and Walmart class. How much training do you really need to qualify for an entry level job at Walmart? A pulse and the ability to sign your name to the application? Retail is a good career for people who don't mind working nights, weekends, holidays and generally long hours, but you certainly don't need a high school class to teach you the basic skills for it.

c'mon people. Big difference between shop class and Walmart class. How much training do you really need to qualify for an entry level job at Walmart? A pulse and the ability to sign your name to the application? Retail is a good career for people who don't mind working nights, weekends, holidays and generally long hours, but you certainly don't need a high school class to teach you the basic skills for it.

now back to walmart...maybe they are teaching them things so that they aren't the slug employee that you are thinking of....you know what I bet that many kids that start out stocking shelves have worked their way up to receiving manager at walmart and other retail places...maybe they are teaching them how to read an invoice or a replenishment report or how to use a Telzon (sp?) Gun to track and fill the floor....maybe they are teaching them about P&Ls, especially since and I believe this is correct but each walmart does a profit sharing of some sort and it is based only on that stores profitability...could be teaching them about customer service and how to deal with people....HR stuff like diversity and sexual harassment possibly...I could go on and on but there are many like you that snub your nose at people that work in retail and think it is a mindless job....sure there are some slugs but the retail industry is a major contributor to this country and is one of the few jobs where a person without a college education can make a very good living.

oh and just curious but what do you do for a living?

now back to walmart...maybe they are teaching them things so that they aren't the slug employee that you are thinking of....you know what I bet that many kids that start out stocking shelves have worked their way up to receiving manager at walmart and other retail places...maybe they are teaching them how to read an invoice or a replenishment report or how to use a Telzon (sp?) Gun to track and fill the floor....maybe they are teaching them about P&Ls, especially since and I believe this is correct but each walmart does a profit sharing of some sort and it is based only on that stores profitability...could be teaching them about customer service and how to deal with people....HR stuff like diversity and sexual harassment possibly...I could go on and on but there are many like you that snub your nose at people that work in retail and think it is a mindless job....sure there are some slugs but the retail industry is a major contributor to this country and is one of the few jobs where a person without a college education can make a very good living.

oh and just curious but what do you do for a living?

I was an assistant manager for Kmart about 15 years ago and worked part-time selling appliances at Sears for a few years to put my son through college. So yeah, I still have a little idea of what I'm talking about. And as a teacher and IT person now, this class is bogus. I've spent time in our "career connections" classes - the ones that are supposed to teach students about resumes and interviewing and handling money and such....the last lesson I observed was to teach them how to write a check and balance their checkbook using the check register. Does anyone actually use a check register anymore?