[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

i need to get out of chicago

dmarc117

On one hand, I moved to Texas to start my own real estate development consulting time at the absolute worst time imaginable. On the other, it looks like I moved OUT of California at a pretty opportune time. I love Chicago and gave thought of moving there, too... looks like it's another place that will be hit hard - in one way or another - by the fledgling economy and state of affairs in this country. Sad.

On one hand, I moved to Texas to start my own real estate development consulting time at the absolute worst time imaginable. On the other, it looks like I moved OUT of California at a pretty opportune time. I love Chicago and gave thought of moving there, too... looks like it's another place that will be hit hard - in one way or another - by the fledgling economy and state of affairs in this country. Sad.

ive read that illinois is just as bad as cali. scary times. f me!

no sh1t!! we are thinking of going back. getting some land out in the burbs.

Honestly, I'd stay in Chicago. There will be a financial rebound sooner rather than later and Chicago's market hasn't been hit as hard as some markets. Stop being a chicken little and weather the storm. :wacko:

My Mom and Step Dad are starting to feel the pinch up there too. They planned very well and saved a bunch for retirement but are watching that dwindle quickly after they both lost their jobs. Worst part is they both have health concerns that REQUIRE keeping insurance which is sucking their savings and retirement dry.

An example of people who did all the right things and are still screwed.

No health care reform necessary? Not as long as you don't get sick. No matter who you are or how you planned!

From the link:

A tax increase seems unlikely this spring, if only because of election-year fears, though most expect Gov. Quinn to again propose boosting the state's 3 percent income tax. Anti-incumbency fervor among voters had emboldened Statehouse Republicans pushing a no-new-taxes platform.

Of course you have a problem, your state income tax is way low. We have 7.85% here in Minny and we too have a deficit but nothing like as much as Illinois.

7.85 geezus!! whats your real estate taxes? sales tax?

Look at all the other states - even Alabama and Mississippi have higher income tax than you. Your rich folks have been making hay for years.

Sales tax comparison

There are slight variations on these based on county and city but these are the state rates and you'll notice that MN is higher than IL in sales tax too.

There are slight variations on these based on county and city but these are the state rates and you'll notice that MN is higher than IL in sales tax too.

There is also a difference based on exemptions too. Minnesota has clothing exempt up to a limit where Illinois doesn't. Also with food, some states are totally emempt, but some states like Illinios has food at a reduced sales tax and some states have food at the full sales-tax rate.

There is also a difference based on exemptions too. Minnesota has clothing exempt up to a limit where Illinois doesn't. Also with food, some states are totally emempt, but some states like Illinios has food at a reduced sales tax and some states have food at the full sales-tax rate.

True. That makes comparison difficult. Still, the state income tax rate is an easier comparison and it seems to me at first glance that Illinois is extremely low.

True. That makes comparison difficult. Still, the state income tax rate is an easier comparison and it seems to me at first glance that Illinois is extremely low.

I IS ridiculously low . . but that is completely contradictory to dmarc assertions that it is all because of the Dems. I thought the left just wanted to tax everyone at exorbitant amounts? :wacko:

Either way I need to move out of the IL asap