[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steelers Draft Analysis

Menudo

Personally, I think grading a draft is a bit silly, as you can't really know anything about a draft until it plays itself out a few years later. I've had Steelers drafts that I was disappointed in, that turned out to be great classes, and others that I was thrilled with that turned out to be sub-par. However, it is the off-season, and there isn't anything else to do, so, here is my take on the Steelers Draft:

Round 1 - Marukice Pouncey (C/G - Florida): I wasn't thrilled with the pick, as I thought taking a Center here was a bit early. I thought they could have traded down and likely still got Pouncey. However, after listening to Mayock's take on the pick and doing some research, I felt a bit better about it. It is definitely a pick that fills a need, as the Steelers need someone to compete at Guard right now, and need a Center to move forward with. A lot will be known in spring training. If he wins the job outright, or is in a tight race with Essex and/or Foster up until opening weekend, I'll feel very good about this pick. If he fades from starting competition early, I'll start to worry. Pick Grade: B

Round 2 - Jason Worilds (OLB - Virginia Tech): I didn't like this pick at all. Worilds is extremely talented and fits the Steelers prototypical OLB's with his speed and pass-rushing skills off the edge. I understand that they are planning to replace Harrison, as he is getting up in age, as well as providing OLB depth, but, this wasn't the year to do this. They had too many other needs this year, and they passed up on a LOT of solid players at need positions to make this pick. Worilds will probably end up being a great player, but, I didn't think this was the time to take a guy who MIGHT develop into a starter in 3 years, when there were more pressing needs out there. Pick Grade: D

Round 3 - Emmanuel Sanders (WR - SMU): I loved this pick. Sanders is the exact type of receiver that I wanted the Steelers to get in this draft. He is perfect for the slot. Like Pouncey, a lot will be clear by opening weekend. I'm hopeful that he beats out or at least shares time with an aging Randle-El. I watched this kid quite a bit in college, and I really like what he brings to the table. He has the speed that everyone knows about, but, he has shown strong hands as well. The fact that he could become a real threat in the punt and kick return game is an added bonus. Pick Grade: A

Round 4 - Thaddeus Gibson (OLB - Ohio State): I didn't like this pick either. The Steelers obsession with these under-sized DE's to convert into OLB's is costing them valuable bodies at more needed positions. Don't get me wrong, the Steelers have shown great evaluating talents in regards to these players, but, there are other VERY pressing needs. We have 2 Pro-Bowl caliber OLB's already. Gibson, again, seems like a perfect fit to the Steelers style of defense, so, like Worilds, this isn't an indictment of the player, but, disappointment in the position that was picked. Pick Grade: D

Round 5 - Chris Scott (OT - Tennessee): Now, this is more like it. I really liked this pick. They filled a need here with a guy who, at worst can provide depth for an offensive line that needs it, especially at tackle. At best, the guy develops quickly and can compete for a spot in a year or two. For a 5th rounder, I like what I'm seeing and reading about this guy. All evidence is that he is a hard worker who is always looking to improve. This was a very good pick here. Pick Grade: A-

Trade - Bryant McFadden (CB - Arizona Cardinals): I know this wasn't a draft pick, but, I had to throw this in there. I loved this trade. Yes, there was a reason that the Cards gave him up for a 5th rounder, as they were disappointed in his play. However, this is a guy who has been a starter in the league for a few years now, and he knows the system. He will be a guy to throw in the mix and compete for a starting CB spot. I value him much more than any CB they could have gotten in the draft at this point. I loved this move.

Round 5 - Crezdon Butler (CB - Clemson): After making the trade for McFadden, I wasn't as thrilled with them forcing another CB pick at this spot. Butler definitely has speed and has shown some strong cover skills. However, he appears to be a physical liability and not much of a tackler. I'm not sure how good that will work out on the Steelers defense. Hopefully, he can improve it. Not a terrible move to bring even more CB competition, but, I worry that Butler ends up as a practice squad player before all is said and done. Pick Grade: C-

Round 6 - Jonathan Dwyer (RB - Georgia Tech): This was my favorite pick in the draft. Dwyer fell this far due to his lack of speed. However, what the Steelers needed was a guy who can push the pile and run through the tackles. Dwyer was the perfect match, and I expect him to beat out Frank Summers and become the short yardage / goal-line back for the Steelers. I wouldn't even be surprised if he was their #2 RB next year or the year after. This is great value for a 6th round pick......love it !!! Pick Grade: A+

Round 6 - Antonio Brown (WR - Central Michigan): I seem to be in the minority here, but, I liked this pick. I had both Brown & LeFevour in my college fantasy league, so, I watched almost all of their games last year. Brown is definitely small in stature, but, impressive with his play-making ability. His only chance to make the team is as a returner, but, I think he could be a good one. He's a 6th round pick, being brought in as a possible impact special-team returner. With other needs addressed, I liked this pick. Pick Grade: B

Round 7 - Doug Worthington (DL - Ohio State): A 7th round pick in a draft with this many selections, is a long-shot at best to make the team. I like the position they chose, as DL would be a spot where a long-shot would have at least some hope to make the team. Pick Grade: C

Overall, it was a solid, not earth-shattering draft. They filled most of their needs, though I think they could have used an earlier pick on a defensive lineman, as their DL is getting very old.

Overall Draft Grade: B-

Round 6 - Jonathan Dwyer (RB - Georgia Tech): This was my favorite pick in the draft. Dwyer fell this far due to his lack of speed. However, what the Steelers needed was a guy who can push the pile and run through the tackles. Dwyer was the perfect match, and I expect him to beat out Frank Summers and become the short yardage / goal-line back for the Steelers. I wouldn't even be surprised if he was their #2 RB next year or the year after. This is great value for a 6th round pick......love it !!! Pick Grade: A+

I'm SO happy the Colts didn't waste a valuable late pick on a guy who can pound out a tough yard as that has never been a problem for them. Dwyer in the 6th? pf. Polian you genius! :wacko:

Wow. I like PIT's draft a lot more than you do. The top 3 picks were very solid, and Pouncey should be a decade-long fixture at C and should become an All-Pro in short order, much like Webster & Dawson were. Worilds fits right into PIT's D scheme and if anything has been under-rated by most scouts. Sanders ought to contribute immediately in the return game and should start fitting into 3-wide sets before the year is over. Any players beyond the 3rd round who can contribute heavily on special teams and/or contribute regularly in the O/D teams is a real bonus, and PIT looks to have at least 2 in Scott and Dwyer, and maybe 4 if Gibson and Brown pan out.

Wow. I like PIT's draft a lot more than you do. The top 3 picks were very solid, and Pouncey should be a decade-long fixture at C and should become an All-Pro in short order, much like Webster & Dawson were. Worilds fits right into PIT's D scheme and if anything has been under-rated by most scouts. Sanders ought to contribute immediately in the return game and should start fitting into 3-wide sets before the year is over. Any players beyond the 3rd round who can contribute heavily on special teams and/or contribute regularly in the O/D teams is a real bonus, and PIT looks to have at least 2 in Scott and Dwyer, and maybe 4 if Gibson and Brown pan out.

Well, I'm glad to hear that you liked it more than I do. I simply feel that the Steelers have fallen too much in love with the under-sized DE that they can convert into quick OLB's. I have heard talk that they will play Gibson at ILB, which makes me feel a bit better. I do like Worilds, but, I just felt like this year, they had needs to fill, and should have resisted a position that is currently being manned by two Pro Bowl caliber players. I'm all for depth, but, with needs at O-Line, DL, & CB still out there during Round 2, I think they should have gone a different direction.

Pouncey, Dwyer, McFadden, and Leftwich should all contribute this year -- Sanders and Scott may well contribute this year ... Worilds and Gibson should grow into contributors before those in front of them need replacing ... No clue on Brown and Worthington. Still wish they'd made a bigger impact on the defensive line -- but it may work. I like the draft, particularly with Leftwich and McFadden factored in.

Some say Pouncey is better than Mangold. I doubt that, but even if he is Mangold's equal, that was a GREAT pick.... just ask any Jets fan what Mangold means to the Jets as another first round center. When a pro bowl caliber C comes along.... it's never a bad pick.I grade it an A.

Sort of agree with you on the OLB picks. I think your team is where LeFevour should have landed. I like the kid, and he lasted till the 6th round.