[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

suicide warning signs

Scooby

http://www.suicide.org/suicide-warning-signs.html

Also wanted to add that a traumatic relationship experience/break-up can also lead to suicide, as many depressed people like my sister, lack coping skills. I think she exhibited almost very warning sign on the list. Gun safes are also a sound idea, she took a gun from my parents house 2 wks prior, unbeknownst to us all. Would that have stopped her? I don't know, maybe it would have slowed her down enough to regroup.....While she was on anti-depressants at the time, she wasn't consistent on the dosage.

Depression is every bit as deadly as cancer, if not properly treated it can be fatal. The mind is so complex.

Gay/lesbian/bisexual and sexual abuse victims suicide risk is even greater, as in the case of my sister. If this describes one of your loved ones, be extra vigilant.

Scoob, I know how this disease has tramatically touched your life. Losing a family member to mental illness is something one never really recvovers from. Loved ones tend to wear some blame them selves for the rest of their lives. That is very unfair. This may sound calous, but suicide is perhaps the most selfish of all acts. They never understand the pain they leave behind, the guilt others will feel rightly or wrongly.

Of course, it is what we must do, watching for signs and signals that someone we care about may be on the edge, but never question "what should I have done?" after the fact. I sometimes think people who take that choice also want to punish the world, and yes, even those who loved them, as a result of their convaluted thinking. Nothing is more unfair. Ther trail of tears they leave behind is I think, never understood by them, how they create victims who have to carry that baggage. That, conflicting with some want to punish people... it's a contradiction, but it's mental illness. It is a malady that is hard to come to terms with.

I guess what I am saying, is you cannot blame yourself and you should not carry any guilt. Easier said than done. God bless.

Excellent post Rovers and Scooby I'm so sorry. As you said, the mind is unbelievably complex, so much we don't know yet. I recall someone once said that seeing a psychologist is like asking a monkey with oven mitts on to work on your car's engine. eg anti-depressants have been known to actually make things worse, not better. We're just not "there" yet to better understandings, but I think/hope headed in the right direction.

As Rovers said, it's not fair, and as you said, she was sick and not thinking clearly. It's natural w/something like this to want to find fault or place blame, but no easy answers. Very best to you and yours dealing with it.

First of all, i've never had personal experience with suicide. However i think saying it's selfish, while possibly true to some extent is a bit misleading in what that implies. People can be in such pain that even if they realized they're friends and families are going to be hurt, it is nowhere near the pain they are experiencing and can't get out of. Again, no personal experience but i can only imagine that their way of thinking is different and getting over depression for some people cannot be done by simply "toughing it out".

Scoob, I know how this disease has tramatically touched your life. Losing a family member to mental illness is something one never really recvovers from. Loved ones tend to wear some blame them selves for the rest of their lives. That is very unfair. This may sound calous, but suicide is perhaps the most selfish of all acts. They never understand the pain they leave behind, the guilt others will feel rightly or wrongly.

Of course, it is what we must do, watching for signs and signals that someone we care about may be on the edge, but never question "what should I have done?" after the fact. I sometimes think people who take that choice also want to punish the world, and yes, even those who loved them, as a result of their convaluted thinking. Nothing is more unfair. Ther trail of tears they leave behind is I think, never understood by them, how they create victims who have to carry that baggage. That, conflicting with some want to punish people... it's a contradiction, but it's mental illness. It is a malady that is hard to come to terms with.

I guess what I am saying, is you cannot blame yourself and you should not carry any guilt. Easier said than done. God bless.

+1 I lost my best friend to suicide when I was 17 so I know exactly those emotions. I still think about him all the time and he goes everywhere with me in my wallet. It's what I have. I tell myself all the time that I will visit his grave, but I have never done it. Maybe I fear that will be letting him finally go...I don't know, but I still miss him tremendously as each day passes. Thank you for bringing awareness to this subject.