[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who's the better pick CJ Spiller or Jahvid Best?

I have the 1.4 rookie draft pick in a 12-team non-PPR Dynasty league. The first two picks were Ryan Matthews and Dez Bryant. The guy with the 1.3 pick has not yet selected. If he doesn't select by noon tomorrow, then I get to skip him and pick.

Who should I pick if I get to choose between C.J. Spiller or Jahvid Best. I thought I was going to pick Best because of the situation, but now I'm thinking Spiller is the better pick. Best may have a good situation for 2010, but Fred Jackson is 29 years old, so Spiller will surpass him. I think he may be the better back between him and Best in the long run. Thoughts?

Edited by electricrelish

you don't think that's over-blown?

I'm not sure if it's overblown or not...but it's definitely why he fell down the draft boards.

2008 - Hip injury and dislocated elbow - Missed one game and played with a cast on his arm for 3-4 games.

2009 - Foot, neck, and back injuries (concussions) - Missed four games and needed both foot and elbow surgery to repair damage from the year before.

If someone had said that to you about Westbrook when he was a rookie, but still said he'd have a great career, would you really care? I'd rather have Gore with his 2-3 bad/injured games a year than not have him.

Lot's of people are comparing him to Westbrook...thus the get used to the term 'questionable'

Both Best and Spiller are almost identical in their running styles, with the knock on Spiller being he can't run between the tackles which is BS. If you believe that you've never watched him in a game before.

The other factor is some believe that Best landed in a better situation than Spiller...we're talking the Detroit Lions here, how that's a better situation I don't get it as that o-line sucks something fierce. And playing GB and Minny 2x a season isn't going to help. I'm also factoring in that Kevin Smith is up and running and looks to be rehabbing okay...I'd feel better about Best if I believed he was only going to get 15-20 touches a game. If they give him 25-30 I'd be looking from some depth as no way he holds up all year with that type of load.

It's going to go with a gut feeling on this one but I'd much rather take my chances on Spiller, especially in a dynasty league.

I'm not sure if it's overblown or not...but it's definitely why he fell down the draft boards.

2008 - Hip injury and dislocated elbow - Missed one game and played with a cast on his arm for 3-4 games.

2009 - Foot, neck, and back injuries (concussions) - Missed four games and needed both foot and elbow surgery to repair damage from the year before.

Lot's of people are comparing him to Westbrook...thus the get used to the term 'questionable'

Both Best and Spiller are almost identical in their running styles, with the knock on Spiller being he can't run between the tackles which is BS. If you believe that you've never watched him in a game before.

The other factor is some believe that Best landed in a better situation than Spiller...we're talking the Detroit Lions here, how that's a better situation I don't get it as that o-line sucks something fierce. And playing GB and Minny 2x a season isn't going to help. I'm also factoring in that Kevin Smith is up and running and looks to be rehabbing okay...I'd feel better about Best if I believed he was only going to get 15-20 touches a game. If they give him 25-30 I'd be looking from some depth as no way he holds up all year with that type of load.

It's going to go with a gut feeling on this one but I'd much rather take my chances on Spiller, especially in a dynasty league.

Wow. I took Best. Now I'm having buyer's remorse.

good post

after constant worries about guys like Westbrook, I'd probably roll with Spiller too

It's of course all a matter of opinion but I think it is insanity to even consider taking Best over Spiller. If you watch film, Spiller has no problem running between the tackles and has more talent than Best. Both teams (Detroit and Buffalo) are poor teams but are we really supposed to think that a 29 year old career backup who had two-one hundred yard games is supposed to keep this kind of talent off the field? I took Spiller 1.01 in my dynasty rookie draft because I think I would rather have Fred Jackson in front of an amazing talent than Sproles eating away at the carries of a less talented RB.

I think 100% that Spiller will have an amazing Career.

(By the way my league is a dynasty league and I have no starting WR or RB need.)

Sorry but I'm in the minority it seems. Spillar is a poor mans version of Reggie Bush...at best. While Best will be the featured back in Detroit, giving way to who knows who during the season to prevent hitting the rookie wall.

I'd take Best over Spillar in a heart beat.

Sorry but I'm in the minority it seems. Spillar is a poor mans version of Reggie Bush...at best. While Best will be the featured back in Detroit, giving way to who knows who during the season to prevent hitting the rookie wall.

I'd take Best over Spillar in a heart beat.

Spiller is a far better runningback than Bush.

Jahvid Best is a poor mans Spiller.

Time will tell my friend. But I'll take the featured back over a change of pace/gimmick back any day of the week.

Yes, not to mention some follow-up questions.

1. Who will be throwing the ball in Buffalo?

2. What WR weapons do they have?

3. Could their offense, with good RBs on the roster, be any worse overall than it was last year?

4. Their offensive line is horrendous, have they improved it at all?

5. Did they cut Lynch and Fred Jackson? Best has virtually no competition.

Who knows who is better from a pure talent perspective, but no question Best is going into a better situation with real weapons, dome stadium, no real competition, with a much better offensive line. Buffalo is where talent goes to die. From a fantasy perspective, Best is the better play. By the time Buffalo's offensive gets productive, Spiller will be a step slower.

Wow. I took Best. Now I'm having buyer's remorse.

Which league did you pull this off :tup: /current best owner

I picked Best for a couple of reason, over Spiller. Primarily, Best has the best potential for decent numbers in year 1 with K. Smith coming off a pretty sever injury late last year. Also, they need a solid running game if they want to get some production out of their rookie QB so they don't end up finishing that kids career early. The injury issues of the past are a concern, but I've also seen many other backs come into the league that were injury prone in college, but go without an major injuries in their NFL career. Mainly because the NFL teaches these players how to run smart versus college who train them to run hard.

Spiller, I just feel there is so much minutia in that camp. They truely don't have a clue what direction they want to go, hence, they can't recruit worth a crap in the off season. He could be a star, but given what Baffalo has been going through the last 5 years, I think he's in the worst scenario out of all the top drafts of the 2010 draft season.

Yes, I'm saying that Detriot is a more stable enviroment that Buffalo..... :wacko: Wow, never thought I would say that!!!

I also said that Detriot will be playing for a division title within the next 5 years.... Okay, maybe I am a tad crazy, but I'm sticking to my guns on this prodiction :tup:

Which league did you pull this off :wacko: /current best owner

The league's name is Rebel Alliance Dynasty League (RADL). It's non-PPR, so RB's are the gold positions. You get bonus pts for long touchdown plays, so Spiller is good for that, since he's known to break long runs. I like Spiller better, but I just don't like his situation. I have to admit that I was high on Spiller, and then I started drinking the Best Kool-Aid. Best is going to sit on my taxi squad at first. It's a salary cap league and he cost me $60 as it is a slotted draft price for the fourth pick. His cap price doesn't count against me until he makes my active roster, so he's going to have to earn his spot before I promote him.

I'm not too bad at the RB position. I've got Chris Johnson, Jamaal Russel, Pierre Thomas, Tashard Choice and Bernard Scott. I was hoping that Best would be the icing on the cake.

Edited by electricrelish

quote = name='tazinib1' date='5/23/10 6:01pm' post='3152734'

Time will tell my friend. But I'll take the featured back over a change of pace/gimmick back any day of the week.

Best and Spiller are both considered a change of pace/gimmick back...Best will most likely have to take over the featured back role (which he's proven the last 2 years he couldn't handle that load) unless Kevin Smith returns to form. Granted Best is a better choice in a redraft format, but Dynasty wise I just don't see him not breaking down sooner than later.

quote = name='gspot' date='5/24/10 10:09am' post='3152734'

Who the hell cares...if Chris Johnson can pad Vince Young's stats than I have to believe that Levi Brown or Brian Brohm can watch Spiller take their 5 yd dump off pass and run 80 yds with it. And who's throwing the ball in Detroit? Didn't Stafford go down on injured reserve last year due to some horrific injury? That's some terrific o-line protecting him...

Lee Evans and present company, who along with Mr. Owens put up a whopping 263 points (my Dynasty league PPR scoring format) last year for their entire 16 week season. For Calvin Johnson and Bryant Johnson, they put up a whopping 243 total points, same PPR scoring format. The Lion's ultimate weapon was injured for much of the season, missing 3-4 games, questionable for 3-4 games, and probable for about 2-3 games. Throw in their TE position with Pettigrew (who went down on injured reserve with a horrific injury in week 12 <is there a pattern emerging here?> and you get another 110 points...while Buffalo mainly uses their TE's to block and tend to throw more passes to the WR and RB position. And I guess Detroit did 'upgrade' a bit for this season on their WR2 as they brought in an injured Nate Burleson, who missed the last few games of the 2009 season with injuries...he should fit right in.

3. Could their offense, with good RBs on the roster, be any worse overall than it was last year?

Marshawn Lynch put up 2 very good seasons just a few years ago so it's not out of the question, and at the very least both he and Fred Jackson were still standing at the end of the last season, unlike Kevin Smith who went on injured reserve with another horrific injury.

With 3 of the 4 Lion's top skill position players having season-ending injuries last year, and their other top skill player missing a few games and gimpy for a few more, don't you have to ask that same question about Detroit?...and do you feel lucky? Maybe it's just the Michigan water supply.

Yep, Best will be all alone in the Detroit back field...again, do you feel lucky?

Who knows who is better from a pure talent perspective

Spiller is, as graded by the NFL scouts autonomous collective before the draft at 8.7, while Best was graded at 7.9 (higher is better :tup: ). Best did run the 40 at 0.02 seconds faster than Spiller though.

but no question Best is going into a better situation

All alone in the Detroit Lion's backfield...that is way, way better

with real weapons

Best should probably arm himself, like the rest of Detroit. Seriously, did you actually write that as that's just comical? I'm sure if you mentioned the words 'real weapons' to anyone that follows the NFL that the Detroit Lions would not come 'immediately' to their mind. Have you ever seen the Lions play? Those aren't happy people out there...they pick in the first 5 draft slots of every NFL draft which is the ultimate reward for sucking real bad, consistently. Of course many say it's all Matt Millen's fault and he's gone now, so maybe there's hope. :wacko:

dome stadium

Jahvid won't be playing on the domed stadium...he'll be playing on the rock-hard artificial concrete turf.

no real competition

Doesn't competition make you better?

with a much better offensive line.

I'm sure a few Lion's fans will disagree with you on that one.

Buffalo is where talent goes to die.

2009 - Matthew Stafford placed on IR, Kevin Smith placed on IR, Brandon Pettigrew placed on IR, and Calvin Johnson barely escapes with his life, only gimpy for half the season and missing just a few games. But what the hey, if you say so...

From a fantasy perspective, Best is the better play.

From your fantasy perspective obviously...

By the time Buffalo's offensive gets productive, Spiller will be a step slower.

Not sure why you keep equating a team's production to a player's fantasy stats as it's really not that important. What's important in fantasy is consistency, and you can't be constantly putting out good fantasy numbers when you're injured or sitting on IR.

Who knows who will be the better back, but again, Best's injury history is what moves him down (however far depends on you) the draft board.

quote = name='tazinib1' date='5/23/10 6:01pm' post='3152734'

Best and Spiller are both considered a change of pace/gimmick back...Best will most likely have to take over the featured back role (which he's proven the last 2 years he couldn't handle that load) unless Kevin Smith returns to form. Granted Best is a better choice in a redraft format, but Dynasty wise I just don't see him not breaking down sooner than later.

quote = name='gspot' date='5/24/10 10:09am' post='3152734'

Who the hell cares...if Chris Johnson can pad Vince Young's stats than I have to believe that Levi Brown or Brian Brohm can watch Spiller take their 5 yd dump off pass and run 80 yds with it. And who's throwing the ball in Detroit? Didn't Stafford go down on injured reserve last year due to some horrific injury? That's some terrific o-line protecting him...

Lee Evans and present company, who along with Mr. Owens put up a whopping 263 points (my Dynasty league PPR scoring format) last year for their entire 16 week season. For Calvin Johnson and Bryant Johnson, they put up a whopping 243 total points, same PPR scoring format. The Lion's ultimate weapon was injured for much of the season, missing 3-4 games, questionable for 3-4 games, and probable for about 2-3 games. Throw in their TE position with Pettigrew (who went down on injured reserve with a horrific injury in week 12 <is there a pattern emerging here?> and you get another 110 points...while Buffalo mainly uses their TE's to block and tend to throw more passes to the WR and RB position. And I guess Detroit did 'upgrade' a bit for this season on their WR2 as they brought in an injured Nate Burleson, who missed the last few games of the 2009 season with injuries...he should fit right in.

Marshawn Lynch put up 2 very good seasons just a few years ago so it's not out of the question, and at the very least both he and Fred Jackson were still standing at the end of the last season, unlike Kevin Smith who went on injured reserve with another horrific injury.

With 3 of the 4 Lion's top skill position players having season-ending injuries last year, and their other top skill player missing a few games and gimpy for a few more, don't you have to ask that same question about Detroit?...and do you feel lucky? Maybe it's just the Michigan water supply.

Yep, Best will be all alone in the Detroit back field...again, do you feel lucky?

Who knows who is better from a pure talent perspective

Spiller is, as graded by the NFL scouts autonomous collective before the draft at 8.7, while Best was graded at 7.9 (higher is better :tup: ). Best did run the 40 at 0.02 seconds faster than Spiller though.

but no question Best is going into a better situation

All alone in the Detroit Lion's backfield...that is way, way better

with real weapons

Best should probably arm himself, like the rest of Detroit. Seriously, did you actually write that as that's just comical? I'm sure if you mentioned the words 'real weapons' to anyone that follows the NFL that the Detroit Lions would not come 'immediately' to their mind. Have you ever seen the Lions play? Those aren't happy people out there...they pick in the first 5 draft slots of every NFL draft which is the ultimate reward for sucking real bad, consistently. Of course many say it's all Matt Millen's fault and he's gone now, so maybe there's hope. :wacko:

dome stadium

Jahvid won't be playing on the domed stadium...he'll be playing on the rock-hard artificial concrete turf.

no real competition

Doesn't competition make you better?

with a much better offensive line.

I'm sure a few Lion's fans will disagree with you on that one.

Buffalo is where talent goes to die.

2009 - Matthew Stafford placed on IR, Kevin Smith placed on IR, Brandon Pettigrew placed on IR, and Calvin Johnson barely escapes with his life, only gimpy for half the season and missing just a few games. But what the hey, if you say so...

From a fantasy perspective, Best is the better play.

From your fantasy perspective obviously...

By the time Buffalo's offensive gets productive, Spiller will be a step slower.

Not sure why you keep equating a team's production to a player's fantasy stats as it's really not that important. What's important in fantasy is consistency, and you can't be constantly putting out good fantasy numbers when you're injured or sitting on IR.

Who knows who will be the better back, but again, Best's injury history is what moves him down (however far depends on you) the draft board.

Its true, a player's fantasy value is not tied to his team's success, but with RBs, they tend to score based on how productive the offensive is. While its generally good to have receivers on bad teams, a RBs touches will be limited if they are playing from behind or if you can stack the box.

I agree that Best's injury history is what moved him down, but Spiller playing in Buffalo would concern me more from a fantasy perspective. I am not from Michigan or a Lions fan, but I do feel very negatively about Buffalo. I watched all season (Cousin is a big Bill's fan), as their offensive line could not block, their QBs could not get the ball downfield, and they were constantly playing from behind.

Is it your position that Best is not in a better situation? Simply by virtue of being the feature back and not battling in a RBBC should at least put them on a level playing field based on your opinion that Spiller is more talented, right?

Is it your position that Best is not in a better situation? Simply by virtue of being the feature back and not battling in a RBBC should at least put them on a level playing field based on your opinion that Spiller is more talented, right?

Talent wise I think they are fairly equal...both are extremely fast, explosive, can catch the ball well, and make defenders miss. Again the knock I have on Best is his injury history, which to me doesn't lend itself to a situation where he has to go right in and handle a full load, so no, I don't think he's getting into a better situation, at least not one that's conducive to keeping him upright for a relatively long period of time. Of course Chris Johnson was considered a change of pace/gimmick/third down back and he handled a pretty big load last season...but he did have the luxury of ramping up behind Lendale White his first season and gradually took over as an every down back. I hope Best works out for the Lions as they really need some help...but in a Dynasty FF league and given the choice between the two I'll take my chances with Spiller.

Hello all, new here. Just moved up to the #2 in my rookie draft as part of a trade so I could have Spiller. I think both guys are in bad situations and have similar skills. Spiller is a bit better imo and I can see big things from him in the near future. Best will probably produce earlier but I am picking for the long term as my roster is fairly solid. Best has the injuries and plays for a team who not only can't run the ball but historically hasn't run the ball well in years.

• 4 months later...