[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pick a side

rattsass

If the US actually did anything about the illicit transfer of arms then the Bush solution would have made sense.

Last year, the United States accounted for more than two-thirds of some $55.2 billion in global arms transfer deals

Remember that rancher that was killed in Arizona that kicked off the whole immigration law? Where do you think the weapons COME FROM that fuel the cross-border drug violence from Mexico??? :wacko:

Bush favored "nationalistic" solutions to arms control. Great idea. But that means you actually have to DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. There is a big difference between legally owning a gun and constantly providing guns to unscrupulous 3rd world nations . . . yet the NRA and most conservatives cant see the difference.

Disclosure: I am a hunter, and learned to shoot when I was a kid. My father was in the Marine Corps so I have been around guns all my life. I just dont understand how the US lets business of the arms trade trump national security concerns of its citizens. :tup:

I just dont understand how the US lets business of the arms trade trump national security concerns of its citizens. :wacko:

Since when didn't earning the almighty dollar trump anything involving the citizens of this country?

bp, I actually agree with you that more needs to be done to those selling firearms illegally whether it be to a gang member in Metroplex, an illegal on the border, or a drug cartel three or four countries away. I have absolutely no problem with this as long as it does not affect my right to keep and bear arms. I do think that current gun laws concerning US citizens are too tight and need to be relaxed. We need to do more to start punishing criminals, all criminals, and less of restricting the rights of citizens.

bp, I actually agree with you that more needs to be done to those selling firearms illegally whether it be to a gang member in Metroplex, an illegal on the border, or a drug cartel three or four countries away. I have absolutely no problem with this as long as it does not affect my right to keep and bear arms. I do think that current gun laws concerning US citizens are too tight and need to be relaxed. We need to do more to start punishing criminals, all criminals, and less of restricting the rights of citizens.

Perch that is where I break from the lockstep of the NRA. I support conceal carry (still not legal in WI where I am from originally) and some other initatives by the NRA, but opposing tightening restrictions on selling illegal weapons and cracking down HARD on the dealers that DO sell them is dumb.

It wont repeal the 2nd amendment by any means . . and it is using scare tactics to generate opposition by the weak-minded.

Perch, do you support the constant manufacturing of assault weapons, many of which fall inot the hands of illegal dealers? Hell, I own an AR-15 (converted to .22 ammo for my kids to shoot with), but I really dont inderstand the constant producing of these weapons that do not have a civilian use (like hunting) when stockpiles are BOUND to fall into the wrong hands.

but I really dont inderstand the constant producing of these weapons that do not have a civilian use (like hunting) when stockpiles are BOUND to fall into the wrong hands.

'Cause there are interests in foreign conflicts that the US government is fueling my friend. Haven't you been watching Jesse Ventura on the tv?

Perch, do you support the constant manufacturing of assault weapons, many of which fall inot the hands of illegal dealers? Hell, I own an AR-15 (converted to .22 ammo for my kids to shoot with), but I really dont inderstand the constant producing of these weapons that do not have a civilian use (like hunting) when stockpiles are BOUND to fall into the wrong hands.

I do support the constant manufacture of anything that is sold legally, as it puts people to work, and a larger supply brings down the cost to the consumer. I do not own an AR or any other so-called assault rifle. I've thought about getting one several times and always talk myself out of it as being too impractical. I only own two guns that could be considered something other than hunting guns, my 1911 and the wife's J frame. Still I fully support your right to buy an AR or whatever else. I'd like to see fully auto rifles be available without having to jump through all the extra hoops, I might actually buy one of those just because of how fun it would be. I do think we should prosecute all that break firearm laws, particularly those that sell illegal firearms or firearms to illegals. If you make the penalty steep enough it will take care of the problem.

as long as the NRA keeps trolling out the B.S. they have for the last 15 years i will not renew my membership nor will i give them money to continue their lies .

What BS? Firearm bands don't make cities safer, that BS?

Oh baby don't you want to go

Back to the land of California

to my sweet home Chicago

to my sweet home Chicago

Now one and one is two

two and two is four

I'm heavy loaded baby

I'm booked I gotta go

Cryin baby

honey don't you want to go

back to the land of California

to my sweet home Chicago

Now two and two is four

four and two is six

You gonna keep monkeyin round here friend-boy

you gonna get your business all in a trick

But I'm cryin baby

honey don't you wanna go

to my sweet home Chicago

Now six and two is eight

eight and two is ten

Friend-boy she trick you one time

she sure gonna do it again

But I'm cryin hey hey

baby don't you want to go

to my sweet home Chicago

I'm goin to california

from there to Des Moines Iowa

Somebody will tell me that you

need my help someday

cryin hey hey

baby don't you want to go

to my sweet home Chicago

I do support the constant manufacture of anything that is sold legally, as it puts people to work, and a larger supply brings down the cost to the consumer. I do not own an AR or any other so-called assault rifle. I've thought about getting one several times and always talk myself out of it as being too impractical. I only own two guns that could be considered something other than hunting guns, my 1911 and the wife's J frame. Still I fully support your right to buy an AR or whatever else. I'd like to see fully auto rifles be available without having to jump through all the extra hoops, I might actually buy one of those just because of how fun it would be. I do think we should prosecute all that break firearm laws, particularly those that sell illegal firearms or firearms to illegals. If you make the penalty steep enough it will take care of the problem.

On the bolded parts . .

I really DONT think that they should be more readily available or low cost. The easy access with stockpiles of weapons is part of the problem. I havent bought a gun in 5 years . . cause i dont NEED to buy a gun. Guns last a very, very long time if you take care of them, so why the constant production? What is the focus here?

I think that people that sell guns illegally (straw purchasers, and businesses that dont do their due diligence) VERY harshly. Including arms manufacturers that sell to foreign countries like Mexico or license their models to be built there.

(The AR-15 was purchased by my father a long time ago . . and it is a hell of a fun gun to shoot with. That really is its sole purpose, and I really dont think I would ever buy one on my own. Like you, outside of handguns, the rest of my guns are hunting-based.)

On the bolded parts . .

I really DONT think that they should be more readily available or low cost. The easy access with stockpiles of weapons is part of the problem. I havent bought a gun in 5 years . . cause i dont NEED to buy a gun. Guns last a very, very long time if you take care of them, so why the constant production? What is the focus here?

I don't think screw drivers should be more readily available or low cost. The easy access with stockpiles of tools is part of the problem. I haven't bought a screwdriver in 5 years . . cause I don't NEED to buy another screwdriver. Screwdrivers last a very, very long time if you take care of them, so why the constant production? What is the focus here?

as long as the NRA keeps trolling out the B.S. they have for the last 15 years i will not renew my membership nor will i give them money to continue their lies .

Well, that's one thing we agree on.

After they jumped on slick willie's bill with the magazine restrictions and their "compromises" I canceled my life membership and all the money I used to send to them now goes to GOA or JPFO. :wacko:

I don't think screw drivers should be more readily available or low cost. The easy access with stockpiles of tools is part of the problem. I haven't bought a screwdriver in 5 years . . cause I don't NEED to buy another screwdriver. Screwdrivers last a very, very long time if you take care of them, so why the constant production? What is the focus here?

Perch, dont be disingenuous here.

When these arms are being used to kill Arizona ranchers . . . you are all upset about it. yet now, an assault rifle is comparable to a screwdriver.

PS- How many billions did the US businessed rake in on international screwdriver sales? 'cause we are 2/3rds of the world arms revenue . . . :wacko:

Perch, dont be disingenuous here.

When these arms are being used to kill Arizona ranchers . . . you are all upset about it. yet now, an assault rifle is comparable to a screwdriver.

PS- How many billions did the US businessed rake in on international screwdriver sales? 'cause we are 2/3rds of the world arms revenue . . . :wacko:

Because fedgov is so successful at prohibiting cocaine from getting into its borders I'm sure the gov't could really keep guns out too. In your little dream world does everyone eat rainbows and poop butterflies, boy princess?

Well, that's one thing we agree on.

After they jumped on slick willie's bill with the magazine restrictions and their "compromises" I canceled my life membership and all the money I used to send to them now goes to GOA or JPFO. :wacko:

im cool with the mag restrictions but when they say shart like " they are going to take your semi auto shot guns" bullcocky ....... get with the times and get on board with trying to keep guns out of the hands of MOMO"S

Because fedgov is so successful at prohibiting cocaine from getting into its borders I'm sure the gov't could really keep guns out too. In your little dream world does everyone eat rainbows and poop butterflies, boy princess?

Do you purposefully try to get threads locked? Are you that incapable of civil discourse?

I am more against EXPORTING these weapons to countries that turn around and use them on Americans . . y'know, like Mexico and the rancher who was killed?

If we are so incapable of stopping these weapons from falling into unscrupulous hands (including american businesses and arms dealers) then WHY are we still producing and selling them?

Do you purposefully try to get threads locked? Are you that incapable of civil discourse?

I am more against EXPORTING these weapons to countries that turn around and use them on Americans . . y'know, like Mexico and the rancher who was killed?

If we are so incapable of stopping these weapons from falling into unscrupulous hands (including american businesses and arms dealers) then WHY are we still producing and selling them?

Do you know that the weapon used in your example above was produced in the US and exported to Mexico? A lot of these guys use AK's and the like which are produced in other countries. Further, do we know that this particular fire arm wasn't stolen? Do we know that this firearm wasn't in the hands of a Mexican military person who was trafficking illegals?

Just trying to be arbitrary.

Do you know that the weapon used in your example above was produced in the US and exported to Mexico? A lot of these guys use AK's and the like which are produced in other countries. Further, do we know that this particular fire arm wasn't stolen? Do we know that this firearm wasn't in the hands of a Mexican military person who was trafficking illegals?

Just trying to be arbitrary.

Good point. But considering that 90% of the guns are from the US . . I am playing the odds . . .

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=4695848&page=1