[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"Famous guests" at concerts?

BeeR

Seems this is very rare but wondering if anyone has ever had been to a concert (or knew someone who has) where someone famous played on a song/songs of the other famous artist in concern and "just showed up" (not announced) and played those song(s) at the concert....examples might be Larry Carlton or Tom Scott playing with Steely Dan (never happened in concert that I'm aware of), David Sanborn playing with Billy Joel on "NY State of Mind" (which I think he did on a TV special once but not a "regular" concert), Bruce Hornsby playing with Bonnie Raitt or Don Henley, etc. I realize why it's rare - mostly the other famous person doing their own thing - but geez at least w/the older guys who aren't so popular any more, you'd think they might want to to it once in awhile, esp since those kind of things really jazz the audience.

Edited by BeeR

I saw Branford Marsallis come on stage and do a set with the Grateful Dead. I saw a Dead show where Bob Dylan was performing as the opening act. The backup band for Dylan was Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

Cool - guess it happens more than I figured. I always thought it would be blast to be at a concert and have the band go "and now we'd like to introduce a special guest" and the crowd goes nuts when it's another "big" name.

The ultimate IMO would be for Paul McCartney introduce Julian Lennon that way, but that aint gonna happen. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen a one and out guest but I did see Clapton back in the day and the drummer was Phil Collins. He just played drums and they didn't do any Genesis/Collins songs.