[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ZZ Top/ Tom Petty concert

bpwallace49

Never saw Top, but saw Petty at Summerfest a few years back (when they closed the Pearl Jam show :wacko: )....Petty and the HBs have been playing live for somewhere around 40 years, and it shows - professional without being slick, practiced without feeling phoned-in; and it's like a jukebox - you know EVERY song, and not in a bad way.

Not to date myself, but I first saw Petty back in (I think) 1977 - his initial tour in support of his first album, which was released just a short time before I saw him (he opened for Roger McGuinn) at a small club just off a nearby college campus. None of us had ever heard of him at the time, but we were all hunting the local record stores for his album the next day. As I recall, Petty closed his act with his version of "American Girl" and then McGuinn closed his act by playing his rendition of the same song - with Petty coming back on stage to help with the vocals ... good stuff.

Enjoy the show.

Had the pleasure of meeting and hanging out with ZZ Top during an MWR concert for the Marines a few years ago. Along with ZZ, Snoop Dog was the only other talent to hang out with the crew and thank our men/women OFF camera.

• 2 weeks later...