[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do I have a claim?

Cunning Runt

call your homeowners insurance, make sure they would cover something if the tree did fall and break stuff. then send a letter to both the fence and electric co.s saying that there could be huge costs if the tree does fall and break stuff or hurt someone. they may settle now so they have no more exposure.

You could negotiate to have them go ahead and remove the tree, and pay for a replacement now.

I think waiting for the tree to die would be a mistake. Strike while that iron is hot, IMHO.

yep, i would say to them, "you can eithe put in a new tree for 3k or be on the hook for 30k if the tree hits my house." their insurance will want to cover it. file a claim soon.

Thanks - is it a good probability that chainsawing through a substantial portion of a tree's root system will kill it?

It is most likely that jacking with the roots will cause it to become diseased and malformed (think heart rot) thant total death. However I agree that the chances of mortality are pretty high.

Yea, so do utility locate companies and the automated one call system which is an entirely different ballgame than a certified and stamped survey work when it comes to liability.

okey dokey....

im no lawyer or judge, but i would say that the fence company is the guilty party. were the lines visible? do you have pics?

really shouldn't matter...that is if the Fence Company scheduled for the utility markings...they know they have to have it marked before they dig and if they can't see it or aren't sure they know to call again.

Yea, so do utility locate companies and the automated one call system which is an entirely different ballgame than a certified and stamped survey work when it comes to liability.

last week I just had to call "missutility" for a big project we have going on for the county...dominion power, cox cable, verizon and gas companies were all alerted...i got an email ticket with the dates the utilities would complete the service and a date when the ticket would expire....got multiple emails from each "utility" and the project started like 4 days from my initial contact with "missutility"