[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keep Rice or A. Johnson?

tjb1055

Hi all,

This is my first post on The Huddle boards. Thanks in advance for any advice. I am in a 12 team performance keeper league and defending champ. We have to keep 2 players from the prior year and these 2 players will essentially become our 1st and 2nd round picks. After all teams keep their 2 players, I will have the #12 & 13 picks in the redraft. I am already keeping Peterson. I am seeing Rice as the #4-5 ranked player on the board with A. Johnson ranked soon after that. Is it smarter to keep Rice and be set at RB, or should I keep A. Johnson and get off to a great start with #1s at both the RB and WR positions? Is Rice a one hit wonder, or will he repeat and perhaps do even better in 2010? A. Johnson is consistent! Your take?

Our league has been in place for 9 years and we made it a keeper league starting with our draft in 2007, Peterson's rookie year. I drafted him in the 4th round and AJ in the 3rd round. I've kept both each year since, so I am partial to each of them. I got Rice last year in the 6th round. He was a stud last year, but I am not sure if he can keep it up. As long as AJ is healthy, he has been money. My gut says keep AJ and throw Rice back into the pool, but most think that Rice will end up with more points to end the year based on his higher total yards and similar TD totals. Granted this is a good choice to have, but still a tough one.

The answer is simple... pretend that this is a redraft, you're up to pick, the best two players on the board are Rice and AJ... which one do you take?

If this was a regular draft and I didn't already have Peterson, Rice would be my choice. Since I do get Peterson and this is a keeper league, I have more confidence that AJ will still be a top tier WR in 2011 than I do that Rice will be a top tier RB. In an extreme example, Rice could be the next Steve Slaton.

you contradict yourself. Why would Rice be your choice (if you didn't have AP) if you think he's the next Slaton. You're either excited about Rice's prospect or you are not.

oh, can you even start two RBs?

I'm not saying that I think that Rice will be the next Slaton, but he could. No one knows, right? That's what makes this game so exciting, fun and frustrating all at the same time. I've got a good feeling about Rice, but I do think he comes with more risk than AJ since he has only done it for 1 year. Risk can pay off big time in FFL, but is it worth it when you are giving up close to a sure thing in AJ? That's my pickle. I am thankful for the responses so far. Good dialogue!

What players do you realistically expect to be choosing from when you pick at 12/13?

Can you make trades before keepers are declared?

The answer to the first question helps determine direction to go with keepers, the answer to the second could affect it, because assuming you can make a trade, I'd offer up AJ and Rice to the league and see what offers you get. Do not trade for players, as they are worthless to you, trade for picks, and remember that since you are essentially getting something for nothing, any offer is a good offer and an immediate win for you.

I'd keep Rice. To me an easy decision.

The points in RBs drops off way faster. In these days of RBBC, you're getting 2 (of maybe 10 total) guys that will not be in committee.

You'll score more points with Rice and a later WR pick vs Johnson and a later RB pick.

AJ. Rice is ranked way too high by everybody. McGahee and McClain are TD vultures and Boldin is an unknown new addition. AJ is a surefire elite WR. Rice is going to be lucky to be an RB2.

McGahee maybe, but McClain? He took a whole 180 yards and 2 TD's.