[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Am I nuts for thinking about this strategy?

Whiskey Pimp

Why would a league want this scoring system?

I've always thought the best scoring systems have been the ones that have the top WR's hold similar value to the top RB's and top QB's...

my top 10 for my local scoring looks like this right now

1. Chris Johnson

2. Adrian Peterson

3. Ray Rice

4. Aaron Rodgers

5. Andre Johnson

6. Frank Gore

7. Drew Brees

8. Deangelo Williams

9. Peyton Manning

10. Randy Moss

*11. MJD

I've always thought the best scoring systems have been the ones that have the top WR's hold similar value to the top RB's and top QB's...

I agree. There should be balanced scoring across the top players at all positions to mitigate the advantages of draft position. Adding a TE position also does this.

my top 10 for my local scoring looks like this right now

1. Chris Johnson

2. Adrian Peterson

3. Ray Rice

4. Aaron Rodgers

5. Andre Johnson

6. Frank Gore

7. Drew Brees

8. Deangelo Williams

9. Peyton Manning

10. Randy Moss

*11. MJD

I agree. There should be balanced scoring across the top players at all positions to mitigate the advantages of draft position. Adding a TE position also does this.

Simply having the positions score similar numbers of points at the top does not create equal value. Value is based on the separation of scoring within the position. To truly create a "balanced" league, one would have to develop that unique combination of not just scoring system, but also lineup requirements such that the scoring spread between the top tier and the bottom rung of starters was close across all positions. Not really an easy feat to accomplish, but the growing trends of PPR (flat and to a greater extent graduated), 3 WRs vs 2 WRs required, QB as a flex option, etc. are definitely heloing lead towards a closer value level across positions.

Simply having the positions score similar numbers of points at the top does not create equal value. Value is based on the separation of scoring within the position. To truly create a "balanced" league, one would have to develop that unique combination of not just scoring system, but also lineup requirements such that the scoring spread between the top tier and the bottom rung of starters was close across all positions. Not really an easy feat to accomplish, but the growing trends of PPR (flat and to a greater extent graduated), 3 WRs vs 2 WRs required, QB as a flex option, etc. are definitely heloing lead towards a closer value level across positions.

Yes I agree ... most of my leagues require 2 RBs / 3 WRs / 1 TE / 1 Flex

I have a TE slot, but still am trying to find a way to make them worth more between tiers so a TE would be worth taking early....as in making 1.5 PPR as opposed to 1 PPR that is across the board...but in my local, it's still dominated by the QB position while 2 or 3 of the top guys are worth taking early due to the dropoff at the position and level of production and consistency on a weekly basis...

this is true, but a difference in scoring will change the parameters in regards to where the dropoff is at each position...

here are some numbers from my local last season..

1. Rodgers 568 pts

2. CJ 541 pts

3. Brees 499 pts

4. Schaub 479

5. P Manning 475

that was the overall top 5 and the next 5 were QB's ranging from 442-456 (Romo, Brady, Favre, Rivers and Roethlisberger) so there is somewhat of a dropoff between Schaub/Manning and Romo...but Brees and Rodgers both hold substantial to great point differential to the rest, let alone the QB's outside the top 5 overall...

after Roethlisberger, you have Rice at 390 pts followed by Eli at 389 pts...then MJD (360 pts)and AJ (356 pts)...

then you have Cutler and AD at 354 pts and then there's another "run" on QB scoring which is 5 in a row ranging from 329 pts and 347...this is where you have backup QB's coming into play while only 4 RB's and 1 WR have appeared thus far....

based on scoring, I'd already have it like this...(not my actual rankings for 2010, but just a summary in hindsight of 2009 and it often looks like this as far as point differential even if the names change, there is always about the same number of players in these groups...

CJ

Rice

AJ

Rodgers

AD

MJD

Brees

Moss (the 1st player following the last QB run)

Austin (the 2nd WR following the last QB run)

-the next group should be a number of WR's and RB's before Schaub and Manning go and then you have a run on WR/RB/TE before the following QB's go off the board as that appears to be where the equilibrium lies - in that 442-456 pt range where Romo, Brady, Favre, Rivers and Roethlisberger appear....these guys are your typical 6th round players after the top 4 QB's go off the board...

the scoring clearly shows a dropoff at the QB position, but not as great as some of the other positions like RB and WR although Rodgers appeared to be on another planet with Brees appearing to be an occupying moon...