[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Skeet Shooting

untateve

My son (almost 14) went 5-stand skeet shooting today. It was his first time ever skeet shooting and only the second time he has been to a range. He hit 14 of 25 clay pigeons. My question--is this good for a first time, average for a first time--basically how does this rate?

I know nothing about guns/shooting/etc and I was not with him today. I'm curious because 14 seems good to me but I don't really know.

My son (almost 14) went 5-stand skeet shooting today. It was his first time ever skeet shooting and only the second time he has been to a range. He hit 14 of 25 clay pigeons. My question--is this good for a first time, average for a first time--basically how does this rate?

I know nothing about guns/shooting/etc and I was not with him today. I'm curious because 14 seems good to me but I don't really know.

Ehh not bad - but don't go out and buy a new 12 gauge.......... although an old school Remington 1100 is a great skeet / trap gun

Ofcourse it isn't bad, for a novice. 5 stand is one of the more difficult shotgun game. I shoot skeet competitively, and I shoot 5 stand for the helluva it. 5 stands are not created equal, and will vary from course to course. A true test of a shooter, in my opinion, is a traditional round of skeet. The best shooters simply don't miss, meaning they'll shoot 400 straight through all 4 guages. The average shooter should be able to hit 65-75% out of 100. I on average break 92-95 out of 100, 12guage only on a good day.

It is a great game...you should promote it if he likes it.

Edited by SuperBalla

14/25 is pretty good for a novice shooter - he should be congratulated. :tup:

It's hard to say exactly how well he did, as not all ranges are created equally.

This

My wife hit two.

Our friend, who brought the guns, hit nine.

Even more so. The kid shot damn near 60% with minimal coaching, and this is the second time shooting? I'm not going to tell you he's a prodigy, but I'd spend the money for a couple lessons and to take him back a couple times. If he likes it and he's good he might be able to compete enough to pay for his own hobby. :wacko:

This

Even more so. The kid shot damn near 60% with minimal coaching, and this is the second time shooting? I'm not going to tell you he's a prodigy, but I'd spend the money for a couple lessons and to take him back a couple times. If he likes it and he's good he might be able to compete enough to pay for his own hobby. :wacko:

He doesn't like shooting, he loves it. They provide lessons at the range--I'll look into this.