[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ryan Matthews

Bronco Billy

Watching Mathews run last night, I couldn't help but think that this kid has been overprojected by quite a few people.

Granted, it was raining for a good portion of the game - and raining very hard at times. I also know that this was only one game.

What I didn't see though was Mathews doing anything special or getting anything on his all. Not at all. There's no creation, no imagination in his running. He doesn't have great power to move the pile, he doesn't have blazing speed, he doesn't have wiggle, and he doesn't create with his own moves. I'm not sure that SD got any more of a 1st rounder this year than DEN did last year with Moreno.

Anyone else have similar thoughts?

Edited by Bronco Billy

Overhyped maybe, but you've got to remember that he was a rookie playing in bad weather against a fired up team and crowd. I doubt many runningbacks are going to perform well when the front seven is destroying his O line.

As far as creating, the play he fumbled on he looked really good, he just forgot ball security. After the game he called himself out for the ball security and not creating. The guy is a hard worker and will right his problems.

Another massive problem is that people are expecting him to put up Tomlinson numbers from a few years ago, just because he replaced him in San Diego. The Chargers are still trying to put the pieces together on that offense, especially the tackle position. Give it a few weeks. I think he is who we thought he was, and that's a heck of a runningback. Lets not forget how terrible Rivers played last night up until midway through the third. Overall the Chargers just sucked last night.

And not intending to annoy you, but it's Mathews.

I sure think so.. Although I thought well before the season that there was too much hype behind him. I thought he was going WAY too early in drafts.. Most of mine he went in the first round - tough place to take an unproven rookie..

Not that this is the right place for it - but I thought (again well before the season started) Arian Foster was the most undervalued rookie RB. While I would love to have the kid on my team(s), he too went earlier than I would have liked to take him. Mid-to-late 2nd in 3 of 4 leagues I'm in.

Regardless, too many people were in desperate search of last year's Ray Rice..

I don't know about that. When the line got him 4 yds, he gained 4 yds. When the line got him 2 yds, he gained 2 yds. I'm not saying he's a bad RB, just that he doesn't look like he's anything special either. He's not going to get you a lot on his own, and he's not going to get you another 2 to 3 tough yds after he's gotten through the first wave - not unless he's got interference in front of him.

And I sure wouldn't invoke any LT comparisons. This is about Mathews on his own merit, not up against a ghost of the SD past.

Not that this is the right place for it - but I thought (again well before the season started) Arian Foster was the most undervalued rookie RB. While I would love to have the kid on my team(s), he too went earlier than I would have liked to take him. Mid-to-late 2nd in 3 of 4 leagues I'm in.

Foster is in his 2nd year...

I'll take this rookie back after his 4 yards per carry in the rain, in his first game EVER. I think the "overhyping" of this kid is being overdone. The only thing I would question is why he wasn't in on any of the plays towards the end of the game. I understand they were in pass-mode but they didn't put him in at all to mix it up. Even from 5 yards out Sproles got a carry.

Edited by Chloroform Rx