[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ray Rice DROPPED!

She-Rocks

I am the commish of a free yahoo league of 12 with some of my friends...Last night around midnight I go to the site and see that a team has dropped ray rice, clinton portis, ben roethlisberger...I couldnt believe they would drop ray rice! so i go to pick him up, and see that the waiver settings are not set up correctly (making me wait until the 6th to pick him up when its supposed to be instant) - There is a 2 day wait following the last game of the week, but then its instant otherwise, one would not be able to pick up another team's drops and play them that week.

I changed the settings, and this morning my husband is PISSED! We play in two leagues together and in the other league this (what i described above) is how it is....and I have the same rules (so i thought) in this league. So now he is stormin around sayin that if no one else "calls me on it" then i am "good".

So I figure I will put it thru a vote of the league - seems the most fair...but now its almost gametime...

what would you do?

Some other league members may have been affected by this setting and may have put in a waiver request for Rice. I would revert it to the "incorrect" setting and undo that transaction to be fair to the rest of the league.

Were it my issue to resolve as commish - I'd probably just lock FCFS waivers for this weekend - email the rest of the owners explaining the waiver wire setup snafu (and thus the reason for the temporary WW suspension) - and indicate that the WW setting will be corrected following the games of week #4, with waivers to open up again as per the corrected rules.

Not sure that it is reasoanble to change/correct the WW setting in the middle of the week / WW cycle, thus possibly letting some teams have an advantage & others not just based on timing, if I'm understanding the situation correctly.

If it's been wrong since week 1, I don't think you can just go and change it now. IMO, you just have to ride it out & make sure to fix it next year. I'd be pretty pissed if I submitted a waiver for Rice & didn't get him because the commish changed the settings & then was able to get him before anyone else.

If it's been wrong since week 1, I don't think you can just go and change it now. IMO, you just have to ride it out & make sure to fix it next year. I'd be pretty pissed if I submitted a waiver for Rice & didn't get him because the commish changed the settings & then was able to get him before anyone else.

+1 Couldn't agree more.

I run into similar problems as a commish and you have to see it from an outside perspective. Lets say that your mistake had been in the scoring system and you meant to have the league st up as a ppr. You have someone like eddie royal on your squad and he hasn't done much besides catch a ton of balls. You make the change to the scoring system and that puts you on top since the games you lost came down to a few points. as one of the other league members, I would see this as cheating since you instantly gave yourself an advantage. doesn't matter if that was the way it was supposed to be from jump. Now, if you make the correction in order to help the other owners and you benefit also, that is different because everyone makes out. I know scoring and waivers are apples and oranges, but the principles are the same. Apples are just easier to illustrate with. Always make it a league decision when making any rule changes. If their is a voting process, whichever way the vote swings, nobody can complain. In my 12 team league, I require 9 owners beside myself as majority. So in other words, 7 out of 12 votes would not win. you need only 4 owners to object to shut down a rule change. this gives a good representation of the top 6 and the bottom 6 teams.

first off, who the heck is dropping rice? they have a stacked team?

second, you can't go changing rules to your liking in the middle of a season. Thats BS. And pretty sure my league would vote you out as commish.

agreed. foul move by the commish. how do you know someone didn't put in a waiver before you? i would just put rice back on the original team.

it has been wrong since week 1 apparantly...i just didnt know it until now cuz when i went and tried to get him. i dont want anyone to think that i am trying to gain an unfair advantage so i am going to reverse it (and the other transactions that followed) and change the waiver settings next week. i went and looked at the yahoo waiver settings and it is confusing (at least it wasnt communicated well) as to how the waiver time period is. this is how it reads in the details link for waivers:

Weekly Waivers Done

Use these settings to give everyone in the league a fair chance at picking up players. Sunday - Tuesday means all unowned players will be placed on waivers at 10:00am PT each Sunday with the claim period ending at 11:59pm PT on Tuesday. First game of the week - Tuesday means all unowned players will be placed on waivers at the start of the first game for that week with the claim period ending at 11:59pm PT on Tuesday.

and then the time player are on waivers is set to 2 days

i also have the waiver priority being team in last place gets first dibs.

I thought having these settings it meant you have 2 days after the last game of the week, however i see that it doesnt matter....its two days period.

i dont know how to set it so that there is a two day waiting period, and then its immediate...i didnt realize that someone could drop a player saturday and he couldnt be picked up by another team to be in their lineup for sunday...so i guess i will change the waiver time to be immediate and then its first come, first serve....but then it makes me wonder about he waiver priority, how does that play in??? grrr!!!

NO!! First come first serve is a BAD move!!! Totally unfair, especially if you have been using the waiver process for 3 weeks now. 3 and 1/2 really. If you plan on doing anything else you need to run it by the other owners first. I remember when I was a kid and we would play star wars in the back yard and there was always this kid James that would make up rules in mid play. Like, as Han Solo, I would blast him and he would be like "I have a force field, I'm fine" and he would keep playing. After a while nobody played with James anymore. I also can't stand when I'm kicking someone's ass on Madden live and we mysteriously lose our connection. I avoid playing with them again. My point is, don't be that guy, or girl! Man (or Woman)-up and do the right thing. Put Rice back on the team that dropped him, add him and other top players to the can't be dropped list and set waivers to the way they were before. Explain to the league that you made a mistake and want to put it up to a vote how to handle it. Go with the owner's decision. It makes the league more fun to play in. I hope to God this isn't a money league, if it is, fix this immediately.

Do you have rules that you've sent to all the league members? If so, it should state what the rules are, and changing the site rules to match the agreed upon league rules wouldn't be an issue. The settings were simply put into the site wrong and now you are updating the site to match the written rules. If someone had put in a waiver request before you, then they should be the one getting Rice. If not you're free to have him on your roster.

If you don't have league rules you should write some up, so that this doesn't happen again.

NO!! First come first serve is a BAD move!!! Totally unfair, especially if you have been using the waiver process for 3 weeks now. 3 and 1/2 really. If you plan on doing anything else you need to run it by the other owners first. I remember when I was a kid and we would play star wars in the back yard and there was always this kid James that would make up rules in mid play. Like, as Han Solo, I would blast him and he would be like "I have a force field, I'm fine" and he would keep playing. After a while nobody played with James anymore. I also can't stand when I'm kicking someone's ass on Madden live and we mysteriously lose our connection. I avoid playing with them again. My point is, don't be that guy, or girl! Man (or Woman)-up and do the right thing. Put Rice back on the team that dropped him, add him and other top players to the can't be dropped list and set waivers to the way they were before. Explain to the league that you made a mistake and want to put it up to a vote how to handle it. Go with the owner's decision. It makes the league more fun to play in. I hope to God this isn't a money league, if it is, fix this immediately.

i know what you mean and i dont want to be that girl!!! i have placed ray rice and clinton portis (another team had picked him up) back on waivers and reversed the transactions. I put out a commish note saying that we would be voting on waiver settings next week.

Do you have rules that you've sent to all the league members? If so, it should state what the rules are, and changing the site rules to match the agreed upon league rules wouldn't be an issue. The settings were simply put into the site wrong and now you are updating the site to match the written rules. If someone had put in a waiver request before you, then they should be the one getting Rice. If not you're free to have him on your roster.

If you don't have league rules you should write some up, so that this doesn't happen again.

I did send an email to all coaches- but i did not list the rules out, rather i said make sure to look a the rules in the league under the site link. my hubby understood the rules as they are, however i thought that the 2 day waiting period was after the last game of the week and then it opened up after that. so i have decided to have a vote next week for the waiver settings...thats the only fair way i know how to do it, that or just keep it as is.

Next year there will be no waiver waiting period or priority list...thats fo sure!