[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Today's Gen (men under 30)

boat_hacked

Yea, kids under 30 suck these days and don't know chit (I'm 31 :tup:). Seriously though, there has always been some jackasses around and we all know it. The idea of one generation looking at the next one and saying they don't do things "right" or acting like in general the world is falling to hell and the next generation is the picture of moral decay is nothing new. Your parent's generation thought it about yours and their parent's generation thought it about them.

I used to have this as my signature.

I agree to a point, Square! I try very hard never to pigeonhole or stereotype a generation (or any group for that matter). And of course the immediacy of infomation in this day and age fuels the fire.

But I think you have to admit...the rules have changed. Some of the arguments (or reasons) for people to resort to violence seem more like very petty BS. Like people (especially under 30) have very short fuses. Grudges and revenge for looking at a person crosseyed seems commonplace.

Scary. :wacko:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe you just never saw it...

every generation is different and as much as they are different they are very much the same as the prior generation, it's more-so the influences they have that cause them to act this way...

plus TV is more of a force today as well as the innernets on todays youth....more of the ugly side of this world is being seen than ever and it has a hugh influence on the youth...

agree to disagree I guess. about 15 years ago I was single and not afraid to head into town to just about any bar for some drinks and play some pool. No freakin' way I'm goin anywhere alone anymore. And I live in a smaller town

As far as I'm concerned it's not tv or internet it's parents...but that's a conversation for another day..

I agree to a point, Square! I try very hard never to pigeonhole or stereotype a generation (or any group for that matter). And of course the immediacy of infomation in this day and age fuels the fire.

But I think you have to admit...the rules have changed. Some of the arguments (or reasons) for people to resort to violence seem more like very petty BS. Like people (especially under 30) have very short fuses. Grudges and revenge for looking at a person crosseyed seems commonplace.

Scary. :wacko:

:tup:

Just for some perspective violent crime in the US hit its high point right around 90-91 (off the top of my head). We are currently living in the safest time in a few decades. I believe our current violent crime rate is similar to the mid 70s. I know you hear about it a lot more and more people may dress and look like thugs (perception) but the truth is that there is a certain portion of our nation that has always acted like jackballs and there isn't much we can do about it. It's kind of interesting that as violent video games have gotten more popular, that violent crimes have decreased. Just something to think about.

Just for the heck of it, I googled a wiki about it. wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States

:wacko:

Just for some perspective violent crime in the US hit its high point right around 90-91 (off the top of my head). We are currently living in the safest time in a few decades. I believe our current violent crime rate is similar to the mid 70s. I know you hear about it a lot more and more people may dress and look like thugs (perception) but the truth is that there is a certain portion of our nation that has always acted like jackballs and there isn't much we can do about it. It's kind of interesting that as violent video games have gotten more popular, that violent crimes have decreased. Just something to think about.

Just for the heck of it, I googled a wiki about it. wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States

I loved me the 90's...

Police are cooking books on crime and not reporting many of them to the fed, it affects their funding.

the other thing i dont get is the kicking when down aspect.

Well, I think I invented that back in the late 80's and early 90's... that and the curb check, you open up a semi-concious dude's mouth onto the curb and kick the back of his head... People look at you a little funny, but it gets the point across.

agree to disagree I guess. about 15 years ago I was single and not afraid to head into town to just about any bar for some drinks and play some pool. No freakin' way I'm goin anywhere alone anymore. And I live in a smaller town

As far as I'm concerned it's not tv or internet it's parents...but that's a conversation for another day..

It's always the parents but I will actually touch one issue that a lot of people haven't realized...

every generation has more and more situations where both parents are working - especially since our country has been in a financial crisis. Prior generations had a higher percentage of families where only one parent worked or if the "better half" was working, she had a part time job to ease finances...

more work = less parenting....

It's always the parents but I will actually touch one issue that a lot of people haven't realized...

every generation has more and more situations where both parents are working - especially since our country has been in a financial crisis. Prior generations had a higher percentage of families where only one parent worked or if the "better half" was working, she had a part time job to ease finances...

more work = less parenting....

negative. Pretty much all the good parents I know both work and as matter of fact, I know a few diaper dirtty ass parents that don't.

in defense of today's generation - I have never seen a guy get jumped.

as far as sucker punches go... if you MUST fight... the first punch makes all the difference.

But I am saying that as a guy who has never felt like he MUST fight or that a fight was coming whether I wanted one or not. And I could not imagine a scenerio where I'd need to run into a Toys'R'Us, beat a guy who was with his family or take on a guy in numbers.

in defense of today's generation - I have never seen a guy get jumped.

as far as sucker punches go... if you MUST fight... the first punch makes all the difference.

But I am saying that as a guy who has never felt like he MUST fight or that a fight was coming whether I wanted one or not. And I could not imagine a scenerio where I'd need to run into a Toys'R'Us, beat a guy who was with his family or take on a guy in numbers.

There's a big difference between a sucker punch and landing the first punch in a fair, one-on-one fight. Just sayin...

And sucker punches, ganging up on/jumping someone, and/or continuing to pummel someone who is down/out are all :wacko::tup:

negative. Pretty much all the good parents I know both work and as matter of fact, I know a few diaper dirtty ass parents that don't.

that is still different because you're talking about the unemployed parents....of course their parenting skills take a back seat because they are down in the dumps....

but overall...the families that have both parents working have taken it's toll on how this generation and the prior one have been raised....

that is still different because you're talking about the unemployed parents....of course their parenting skills take a back seat because they are down in the dumps....

but overall...the families that have both parents working have taken it's toll on how this generation and the prior one have been raised....

Not looking for an argument here but we're definitely on opposite sides of this one.

I coach 2 of my daughter's softball teams and see alot of parents and kids come and go. You're as good a parent as you choose to be IMO. I know people who bust their asses all week long but take time to be with their kids every chance they get; they're good parents. They're raising good kids.

I also see some parents who " collect the monthly check" if you will who have nothing but time to spend with their kids and they choose not to.

Which kids do you think are gonna end up jumpin some guy in a Toys R Us 10 years from now? :wacko:

EDIT: I'd be willing to bet that you are'nt a parent yet. Correct?

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

Not looking for an argument here but we're definitely on opposite sides of this one.

I coach 2 of my daughter's softball teams and see alot of parents and kids come and go. You're as good a parent as you choose to be IMO. I know people who bust their asses all week long but take time to be with their kids every chance they get; they're good parents. They're raising good kids.

I also see some parents who " collect the monthly check" if you will who have nothing but time to spend with their kids and they choose not to.

Which kids do you think are gonna end up jumpin some guy in a Toys R Us 10 years from now? :wacko:

EDIT: I'd be willing to bet that you are'nt a parent yet. Correct?

I think you're misreading what I'm saying and you're also jumping the gun by even considering this as an argument (something I have never considered this to be)

people who have all the time in the world to spend watching their kids while collecting unemployment are leading by a poor example for their kids - they are teaching them that things will get handed to them whether or not they are good parents and still I could go on for days about this but I do half agree with what you are saying because in theory, anyone who can spend all day with their kid should be able to raise their child correctly - but unfortunately a lot of these people happen to display bad parenting....

In Philly where I live, I see decent parents who work (both of them) and their kid runs wild on the streets while acting "good" at home...but then again a lot of these families are broken homes whether the man in the relationship is not the father of the child...

I see a lot of situations where both parents work and are good parents but can only do so much....

and to touch on your "edit" I'm not even going to answer that because you're trying to turn this one ugly....because If I am not a parent then my point is not valid and I don't know what I'm talking about.....but then again if I am a parent, then I am obviously out of the loop or something....

what is your point in asking that other than just reaching?....

and to touch on your "edit" I'm not even going to answer that because you're trying to turn this one ugly....because If I am not a parent then my point is not valid and I don't know what I'm talking about.....but then again if I am a parent, then I am obviously out of the loop or something....

As a neutral party, I'd like to ask you to answer the question, because yes, it honestly does make a difference. And for the record, I already know the answer, and I'm no Big John.

And I'm not trying to pick a fight or be a dick and your opinion is cool and no better or worse than mine, but I honestly believe that having a kid or not having a kid changes your opinon on EVERYTHING.

As a neutral party, I'd like to ask you to answer the question, because yes, it honestly does make a difference. And for the record, I already know the answer, and I'm no Big John.

And I'm not trying to pick a fight or be a dick and your opinion is cool and no better or worse than mine, but I honestly believe that having a kid or not having a kid changes your opinon on EVERYTHING.

edit: I answered your question and I am removing it (hint: the answer that you "know" is half right)...

I'm not going to put myself out there and I'm just not that chummy with the Huddle community that I put my personal info out there other than a few things....

I'm still finding it a little funny that you requested that i put myself out there like that Hugh....but maybe our perspectives on this type of talk just differs as you're one of the Huddlers that puts a bit of his personal life out there while I just don't...at all..

Edited by Avernus

bingo

:tup::wacko:

since you are right in your mind and gave yourself a reason to be right by default even though neither of you know except Hugh even though he's no Big John....

reading "bingo" seriously made me just :lol: and this is headed down an ugly path whether someone is "neutral" or not because now you're trying to make this personal by trying to make me put my personal info out there or else I am wrong by default.....

and in that case I don't want to be right....you can have this argument that I didn't even know I was in....

I think you're misreading what I'm saying and you're also jumping the gun by even considering this as an argument (something I have never considered this to be)

people who have all the time in the world to spend watching their kids while collecting unemployment are leading by a poor example for their kids - they are teaching them that things will get handed to them whether or not they are good parents and still I could go on for days about this but I do half agree with what you are saying because in theory, anyone who can spend all day with their kid should be able to raise their child correctly - but unfortunately a lot of these people happen to display bad parenting....

In Philly where I live, I see decent parents who work (both of them) and their kid runs wild on the streets while acting "good" at home...but then again a lot of these families are broken homes whether the man in the relationship is not the father of the child...

I see a lot of situations where both parents work and are good parents but can only do so much....

Did'nt think you considered it an argument, just clarifying that I did'nt.

agree with most of what you said... I know great parents whose kid ended up having problems with drugs. I know great parents whose kids act good at home and different when parents are'nt around. diaper dirt happens.

I also know that for the most part, good parenting prevents alot of diaper dirt from happening

When talking about collecting a check I was refering to welfare, not unemployment.

The reason I asked in my edit was b/c like Hugh said, it changes EVERYTHING. Not to be a dick but if you're not one you can't even understand how much it changes your life and your thinking about EVERYTHING. You just can't.

Did'nt think you considered it an argument, just clarifying that I did'nt.

agree with most of what you said... I know great parents whose kid ended up having problems with drugs. I know great parents whose kids act good at home and different when parents are'nt around. diaper dirt happens.

I also know that for the most part, good parenting prevents alot of diaper dirt from happening

When talking about collecting a check I was refering to welfare, not unemployment.

The reason I asked in my edit was b/c like Hugh said, it changes EVERYTHING. Not to be a dick but if you're not one you can't even understand how much it changes your life and your thinking about EVERYTHING. You just can't.

again...I'm not putting my personal info out there...

but he was "half right" and I know what he was alluding to and he could think I was a parent and still be half right....

I've had this talk with others and they never even pulled the "you don't know card"....but they couldn't and they also agreed with me...(and yes, I've had a similar convo before where I made this point) and they didn't try to play the cheap "you're not such and such's father so you wouldn't know"....

:tup::wacko:

since you are right in your mind and gave yourself a reason to be right by default even though neither of you know except Hugh even though he's no Big John....

reading "bingo" seriously made me just :lol: and this is headed down an ugly path whether someone is "neutral" or not because now you're trying to make this personal by trying to make me put my personal info out there or else I am wrong by default.....

and in that case I don't want to be right....you can have this argument that I didn't even know I was in....

:lol:

all I did was agree with Hugh that being a parent changes everything in ways that you can't imagine unless you are one. Sorry if I touched on a sore subject here... did'nt mean to.

You can make meaningfull comments on alot of things in life that you have'nt experienced. Personally, I don't give a tinkers damn if you're a parent or not, but if you're not, IMO you are'nt qualified to comment on parenting.

Never "tried to make you put personal info out there". Just asked what I thought was a harmless question.

:wacko:

all I did was agree with Hugh that being a parent changes everything in ways that you can't imagine unless you are one. Sorry if I touched on a sore subject here... did'nt mean to.

You can make meaningfull comments on alot of things in life that you have'nt experienced. Personally, I don't give a tinkers damn if you're a parent or not, but if you're not, IMO you are'nt qualified to comment on parenting.

Never "tried to make you put personal info out there". Just asked what I thought was a harmless question.

not a sore subject, it was the way you took the convo into another direction for no reason....you deflected the topic to make yourself right....

I made a comment on something I'm seeing every day...

The Factors and Viscious Spiral

1. parents do not know how to teach their kids, which means that their kids do not know how to teach their kids - viscious spiral. Some parents do not want to be parents and the ignored child lashes out.

2. MMA over boxing - parents are even taking 4 yr olds to learn MMA fighting. I am near the redneck capitol of the world and it is happening all over here, MMA shops popping up and everyone acting like it is a sport where being a gentelman is supposedly displayed.

3. Many poor kids (white black mexican) have nothing going for them, they are not intelligent nor are they cared about enough to be taught, so they do what only they can do to get "credit or respect" from those who are fortunate or smarter and whose lives are actually going somewhere, they fight to gain 'control' and 'feel like they are something'. It is sad that our parents and school systems have been reduced to ignoring these kind of kids.

4. No sense of the future - One day they will wake up and see that they were turds and wasted everyone's time and money. It will be they have nothing and that "respect" they used to get when embarrassing someone else was a farce. They will be the embarrassed ones when paying for their food with government stamps.

here is how I see it when it comes to the bolded part of the statement above :wacko: ...

you mean the parents who care not to teach their kids properly, or do not want to learn how to teach their kids properly. Many single parents are good parents. Many working couples are good parents. Whether you work or not, you have a child. Every child must be properly taught how to respect themselves and others, how to walk thru this world and be an earner.

I think the real idea is that all parents (single parents, working parents, grand parents, friends that are parents, etc.) all must teach their children regardless of how many hours in a day you work, how much money you make at work, or where you work and how you earn your money. Teach your children properly. If you hit your kid you are teaching him to hit when the chips are down. If you ignore your kids they will get your attention, usually in a bad way. All parents teach by example, knowlingly and unknowingly. School systems teach children. Friends of parents influence children. Then there are the things that parents control that teach children like TV, where the child spends his time and who they are around.

Even though it may take a village to raise a child, the first actions are by the parent(s) and if the parents try then the village will try. (I see the village as school, church, neighborhood, relatives, etc.).

All in all, it comes down to the parent's efforts toward the child. The child will appreciate a good effort. A child is the most coachable soul on the planet and all children want to be loved and taught.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

"you're not such and such's father so you wouldn't know"....

Folk who don't have kids - can have a good idea what it is like to have kids - and depending upon their experience, that idea might be fairly accurate - but there is ZERO way to know what it is to be a parent and zero way to understand everything that goes with being a parent WITHOUT being a parent.

I don't need to know if you have a kid or not. I don't care. But to suggest that somebody could possibly understand what it is to be a parent if they don't have kids - well that's laughable. I can understand how somebody who does NOT have kids might not be able to grasp the point - as that kind of IS the point.