[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

When is it time swing for the fences?

Coach1310

I'm refraining from using specific players in my question because that seems to skew opinions....

Generally speaking...... say you think you might have a shot at making a run at a championship. Most of the pieces are in place, but not quite all...

How do you weigh, trading a way most/if not all of your depth for a home run????

I recently traded away most of my WR depth to acquire a top QB.

I have an opportunity to trade away my remaining RB depth and my last bench WR to acquire a potential home run back......

Is it worth it. If one of my starters would go down, I would essentially be done unless I found a steal on the WW. I have my top RBs handcuffed, so I would have those as fill ins, but I can't see any of my bench guys coming close to providing enough for a championship.

Just curious what others thoughts are and what you have done....

If you're referring to depth as non-starters, you make that move in a heartbeat. If you're talking about depth as people you are starting which would sacrifice your starting lineup, you don't make that move because you're already in a good position which you referred to as making a run at the Championship.

Players on your bench are worthless if they can be used to improve your starting lineup. To not deal them would be foolish.

I understand this point of view, BUT do you trade away all of your depth to improve your starting lineup..... basically leaving you with NO backups/bench guys?? I guess that is the point I am at right now....

See what position you are most prone to injury at or least consistent at. Keep a good/mediocre back up for whichever you think is more likely to be needed. Ultimately, it depends on your roster, your top contender rosters, and who you are trading with. I know its vauge, but it's hard to give specific opinions with non specific information. Not trying to sound rude, just explaining my vague reply.

I will use a basketball analogy. When down late in a game....it is best not to shoot the three ball until you absolutely have to. Elongate the game with fouls and two's until your only option is to put all your eggs in the three point shot. Similarly, in fantasy, I would not purge my bench until I knew I absolutely had to in order to win enough games to get to and compete for the championship.

If I was 2-3, I would elongate the season a bit and see what happens...who else gets hurt, who else gets hot, or cold, etc. before going all in. Once the three ball clanks off the rim, it's game over. If you are 1-4 or 0-4....maybe time to draw up the picket fence!!!

I understand this point of view, BUT do you trade away all of your depth to improve your starting lineup..... basically leaving you with NO backups/bench guys?? I guess that is the point I am at right now....

Will you likely win the title with your current starting lineup? If yes, then leave the team alone.

Will you likely make the playoffs with your current team, but not likely contend for a title? If yes, then you may wait it out a little longer, but you're going to want to make some moves. If no, but you could make the playoffs or a push for a title with some improvement, then you look to make those moves now.

Other factors to consider are how the payouts are structured and if this is a keeper/non-keeper league, as that has a beaaring on the kinds of trades you look to make.

When your 0-3 or 1-4 in that area....

I was 0-3 last year and traded Rodgers, Baltimore's def and Forte for

MJD and Mike Sims Walker....I went on a 9 game win streak to get to the final four and finished 3rd overall after getting beat in the second round...

I think you have to take chances on letting some players go to revamp your team....

Please see mine.....

Drop Bowe, for Johnson? A Buffalo Bill...thanks...

Of course he doesn't mean that you should leave yourself with no bench guys. You still have byes, injuries, and even flex, which could cause you to lose any points you gain by trading away all of your depth when you need them.

It is fine balance between having enough depth, and knowing where you're leaving too much talent on the bench, that could be used to strengthen your lineup.

I also think the below responses are good things to consider too:

See what position you are most prone to injury at or least consistent at. Keep a good/mediocre back up for whichever you think is more likely to be needed. Ultimately, it depends on your roster, your top contender rosters, and who you are trading with. I know its vauge, but it's hard to give specific opinions with non specific information. Not trying to sound rude, just explaining my vague reply.

I will use a basketball analogy. When down late in a game....it is best not to shoot the three ball until you absolutely have to. Elongate the game with fouls and two's until your only option is to put all your eggs in the three point shot. Similarly, in fantasy, I would not purge my bench until I knew I absolutely had to in order to win enough games to get to and compete for the championship.

If I was 2-3, I would elongate the season a bit and see what happens...who else gets hurt, who else gets hot, or cold, etc. before going all in. Once the three ball clanks off the rim, it's game over. If you are 1-4 or 0-4....maybe time to draw up the picket fence!!!

So do you need to shoot a 3 pointer to win, or can you improve just by adding 2s to the scoreboard? Only by looking at your team and other teams can you determine how much you need to improve... But don't sell off all of your quality depth, unless you believe you can find suitable WW replacements, or are willing to take a bad score from that position when byes hit and injuries may come.

First off.... thanks for all the responses. Definitely some good things to consider.

Secondly, I understand weighing the depth vs. taking a shot mentality. I have always been a depth guy, but I've kicked myself a lot for standing pat in past years. Our league is total points, so making it to the playoffs is not an issue. I'm in 5th, but about 60pts out of first. My roster is balanced as far as byes, so I would only be missing one starter each week until byes are done. The trade would leave me with a top 5 RB, and two guys right around 10th in the rankings and basically 2 of their 3 backups. I would also be dealing a top 5 WR(who I think is a prime candidate for a sell high) leaving me with a Top 5 WR and a guy ranked about #15 who had a super slow start.... AND really nobody else.... I also just lost Finley in a TE mandatory so that has skewed things a bit.....

Thanks again for all the response.... I have always been a wait and see guy, but this year I have been lucky to draft some solid depth and make some key WW claims to allow me to deal.... well as long as finally have the nuts to deal as well....

Edited by Coach1310

Huge piece of information missing from your orignal post about this being a total points league.

IMO, in a total points league, you defintely swing for the fences right away. Depth is even less useful. You're not worreid about weekly consistency, you're concerned about getting the most points out there over time, and having the best starters is the only way to do that.