[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Frogs are Working Harder Protesting Having to work

SEC=UGA

I mean, c'mon, you people only work 30 hours a week any how, so by the time you get done protesting you will have worked more than that 2 additional years at the rate your going right now...

Paris, France (CNN) -- The French Senate adopted new rules Thursday to speed up voting on a controversial pension reform bill that has sent more than a million people onto the streets in protest.

Thousands of people demonstrated in central Paris on Thursday as protesters and lawmakers went down to the wire in a battle over the bill. Protest leaders said they planned to march close to the Senate.

Lawmakers, trying to wade through more than 1,000 amendments -- many put up by opposition senators to try to derail the bill -- will group them together rather than voting on each one, Labor Minister Eric Woerth announced.

He said debate on the bill had gone on longer than on any other law since the Fifth Republic came into existence in 1958.

The bill would raise the retirement age from 60 to 62, among other changes.

About 4,000 people -- mostly students -- were out demonstrating against it on Thursday, police estimated.

The march was largely peaceful, CNN's Phil Black at the scene reported, although there were confrontations between students on the one hand and riot police and undercover police in the crowd on the other.

The protesters marched through the city, blocking intersections as they headed for Denfert Rochereau, a central Paris square that has seen many demonstrations over the years.

Some 200 demonstrators blocked France's Marseille Provence Airport for more than three hours Thursday as strikes and protests continued across the country, trade unions said.

But some people are losing patience with the demonstrators, some of whom are causing fuel shortages.

A middle-aged woman who said she had been looking for gas for her motorcycle for an hour said people have "had enough."

"We are really sick of these idiots who are turning our country upside down. We have had enough of all these horrible trade unions that are messing up this country. That is all I have to say," said the woman, who refused to give her name.

The country continues to face some fuel shortages because workers are on strike at all 12 of the nation's refineries, and protesters are blocking 14 of the country's 219 oil terminals.

Pop star Lady Gaga postponed two Paris shows this weekend because of "the logistical difficulties due to the strikes," her website said.

"Unfortunately, as there is no certainty that the trucks can make it to the Bercy for this weekend's shows, the Lady Gaga performances are now postponed," the statement said.

The French Senate is working its way through roughly 1,000 amendments to the pension reform bill, and a final vote on the bill could come as early as Thursday or as late as Sunday.

The lower house of parliament has already passed it, by a vote of 329 to 233.

If there are substantial differences between the Senate and National Assembly versions, a conference committee will have to iron them out before the final version goes to President Nicolas Sarkozy.

France has been reeling from the strikes. Police and protesters clashed Wednesday, and on Tuesday, 428 people were arrested in connection with the demonstrations.

About 1.1 million people demonstrated across the country on Tuesday, French media quoted police as saying. Unions put the figure at 3.5 million nationwide that day.

The ongoing strike follows a series of one-day strikes this month and last month. The strikers have crippled transportation, and affected schools and fuel supplies.

Students from high schools have been skipping classes to join the protests. Some students told CNN in Paris that they are worried they won't be able to get jobs if the current generation hangs onto jobs for an extra two years.

French authorities unblocked three fuel depots Wednesday after the president ordered police to break blockades by strikers.

"We did it because the west of France is threatened by a very severe shortage of fuel. The opening of these three depots was essential and will gradually allow normal activity to resume," Interior Minister Brice Hortefeux said.

The French government contends that the country cannot afford the earlier retirement payments.

"I will implement the pension reform because my duty as head of state is to ensure that French people and their children can count on retirement and that the amount they receive will be maintained," Sarkozy said Wednesday.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an interesting question and one that is relevant here too:

Students from high schools have been skipping classes to join the protests. Some students told CNN in Paris that they are worried they won't be able to get jobs if the current generation hangs onto jobs for an extra two years.

We are going to have to deal with this very soon. How do we square this circle of requiring people to stay in the work force longer while also still having a stream entering post-school without increasing unemployment?

We are going to have to deal with this very soon. How do we square this circle of requiring people to stay in the work force longer while also still having a stream entering post-school without increasing unemployment?

Well, there should be a lot fewer young people entering the workforce than retirement age people retiring. That should help, so long as the recent crash didn't postpone the retirement of a disproportionate number of retirement age people. Also, so long as companies see economic recovery and begin ramping up hiring. Unfortunately a lot of these jobs that are going to be available are well suited to people graduating college with degrees in Art History, Music, Theatre, etc...

this sort of makes the incorrect assumption that there are a fixed number of jobs available

in a reasonably effective market-based economy (which, believe it or not, France has) entrepreneurs will come along who will figure out how to profitably employ excess workers

why do I believe this? because that is what has been happening for the last two centuries and there is no real reason to think that things have changed all that much

In my job I rely on foreign telcos to deliver high speed data circuits for our customers' international locations. Across most of Europe it is difficult to get anything done in the summer, especially August as pretty much everyone goes on vacation for most of the month. France and Italy are the worst. And even when they are working, they could really give a crap about our stupid American customers and their stupid circuits.

this sort of makes the incorrect assumption that there are a fixed number of jobs available

in a reasonably effective market-based economy (which, believe it or not, France has) entrepreneurs will come along who will figure out how to profitably employ excess workers

why do I believe this? because that is what has been happening for the last two centuries and there is no real reason to think that things have changed all that much

well there's that, but there's also the fact that france, like most of europe, has had fertility rates below 2 (the natural rate of replacement to maintain the same population level) since the 70s. that means there are more old people than young people. so if I was a young person in france, I wouldn't so much be worried about finding a job, I'd be a lot more worried about working my ass off to pay for hordes of old people to sit on theirs.

Why work hard when you can just sit at a toll booth in NJ and make $300,000 a year?

As the public sector grows, it steals from the wealth creating private sector. You of all people should know this.

well there's that, but there's also the fact that france, like most of europe, has had fertility rates below 2 (the natural rate of replacement to maintain the same population level) since the 70s. that means there are more old people than young people. so if I was a young person in france, I wouldn't so much be worried about finding a job, I'd be a lot more worried about working my ass off to pay for hordes of old people to sit on theirs.

Interesting, I always assumed they banged the crap out of each other, they are known for that. Maybe it's just the mistresses getting pregnant and they get abortions? :wacko:

I get that but we already know that just to keep up with population growth now we need to generate IIRC 150,000 new jobs per month. Surely the problem is exacerbated by any increase in retirement age, given an even flow in post-school (or even if the inflow is somewhat reduced due to lower birth rates)?

very timely........

http://www.suntimes.com/news/education/282...-debt22.article

Once again... If you go to a school that costs 35K per year, DO NOT GET A DEGREE IN MUSIC AND JOURNALISM. YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO GET A JOB THAT WILL BE PROLIFIC ENOUGH TO EVER REPAY YOUR STUDENT LOAN!!!

If you want to get a degree in Music or Journalism go to the freaking state school down the street from you that cost 1,800 a semester... If you want a degree in education, do not go to freaking Duke or Vanderbilt, go to the freaking state school down the street that costs 2,700 a semester...

The day my daughter walks into the house and says "Dad, I just got Accepted to Bucknell. I'm going to major in photography!!" Will be the first time I bloody my daughter's nose... You do not get a degree in photography from Bucknell. You do not go to MIT to major in education. You do not got to Yale to major in theatre. You do not go to Duke to major feminine studies... You go to freaking Georgia Southern, Southern Miss, UAB, UNC Char., Eastern Kentucky, etc... You kids are a bunch of freaking morons, how the hell did you get into these universities in the first freaking place... And you parents, wake the f up, if your kid or you are having to take out loans to send your child to Wake Forest for a degree in Sociology, you need to be punched and your child removed from the university because you are too dumb to understand that the ROI is too low.