[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Reverse Mortgages

Footballjoe

There is an elderly man in my church (he's in his mid to late 80's) that is having a hard time making ends meet. He lives alone, is in good health both physically and mentally. He owns it outright and its worth about $225,000. He will not move from his home and wants to live out the remainder of his life there. Also, he is not thrilled about leaving his house and belonging to his children. I was thinking that perhaps under his circumstances a Reverse Mortgage may be of benefit. Can anyone share anything about them whether good or bad? :wacko:

Edited by Footballjoe

At 82, a reverse mortgage should make a lot of sense. He has tons of equity and could draw monthly income from the equity. We have done them in the past. I am not an expert by any means, but I have seen the benefits of the loan. It really can help the elderly in tough times.

Edited by Missoula Griz

At 82, a reverse mortgage should make a lot of sense. He has tons of equity and could draw monthly income from the equity. We have done them in the past. I am not an expert by any means, but I have seen the benefits of the loan. It really can help the elderly in tough times.

I've read a bit about these and would agree that in principle they are a great idea. Why not slowly liquidate your house to keep yourself comfortable? That said, this is a pool with a ton of sharks in it. The first priority is find a reputable company to deal with.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Why doesn't he just take out a regular mortgage? That way if he passes away he'd just have the left over assets pay off most of the house and once it's sold to settle the estate there might be some to leave to his relatives. :wacko:

Edited by Square

Why doesn't he just take out a regular mortgage? That way if he passes away he'd just have the left over assets pay off most of the house and once it's sold to settle the estate there might be some to leave to his relatives. :wacko:

You would have to make monthly payments on a regular mortgage.

Couple links on pros and cons

Caring.com

Good article from bankrate.com

Some cons I hear a lot are that the fees are very high, up to 10% of the value of the home, and the person getting the reverse mortgage is still responsible for property taxes, homeowners insurance and mortgage insurance and as the payments from the reverse mortgage are considered an asset by Medicaid, it could affect his ability to get/remain on Medicaid.

You would have to make monthly payments on a regular mortgage.

So? You'd have the cash to pay your 30 year mortgage and the dude is already pretty old. I'm guessing this 82 year old isn't going to Vegas and going to spend it all on hookers and blow (seems unlikely unless he is related to SEC :wacko:). You'd basically be taking out a loan. I guess I just don't get the reverse mortgage and I've heard a lot of stories of people getting hit with BS fees (basically praying on elderly with hidden costs).