[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

News anchor gets suspended . . . .

bpwallace49

MSNBC suspends Olbermann over political contributions

By Michael Calderone

MSNBC suspended "Countdown" host Keith Olbermann Friday after the news that he donated to three Democratic candidates.

"I became aware of Keith's political contributions late last night," MSNBC President Phil Griffin said in a statement. "Mindful of NBC News policy and standards, I have suspended him indefinitely without pay."

[Related: MSNBC's election night lineup criticized]

Olbermann gave the maximum individual donation of $2,400 to three candidates in Tuesday's election: Arizona Reps. Gabrielle Giffords and Raul Grijalva and Senate hopeful Jack Conway, who lost in Kentucky to Republican Rand Paul. (Grijalva appeared on Olbermann's "Countdown" on Oct. 28, the same day the host donated to his campaign; Conway was last a guest in May).

Olbermann, in a statement to Politico, said that he "did not privately or publicly encourage anyone else to donate to these campaigns nor to any others in this election or any previous ones." Also, Olbermann said he had not "previously donated to any political campaign at any level."

But the revelation raised clear ethical issues.

Olbermann, a liberal commentator, gives his opinions each night on the air. But NBC News editorial staffers -- like journalists at most news organizations -- are forbidden from giving to political candidates. Also, Olbermann anchored election coverage Tuesday night without disclosing that he'd given to candidates who were running for office.

By punishing the network's biggest star, Griffin showed how little tolerance there is for hosts to make undisclosed political contributions while covering those political races.

An MSNBC spokesman told The Upshot that The Nation's Chris Hayes, an MSNBC contributor who has filled in before for Olbermann and Rachel Maddow, will host Friday night's show. Hayes has spoken publicly before about donating $250 to a friend's Congressional campaign in Alabama. [uPDATE: MSNBC now says Hayes will not be subbing tonight]

MSNBC already attracted criticism this week for having its liberal hosts and commentators anchor election night coverage. Typically, nonpartisan journalists anchor major news events—such as election results—while commentators like Bill O'Reilly (Fox News) or James Carville (CNN) offer analysis.

It's ironic that Olbermann gave to political candidates after criticizing Fox News because its owner, Rupert Murdoch, gave $1 million donation to the Republican Governors Association. "Fox News has put its money where its mouth is," Olbermann said in an August segment that questioned the network's impartiality.

In October, Olbermann again raised the issue of Murdoch's donations, during an interview with Democratic Rep. James Clyburn. Olbermann asked whether there was "a legislative response to the idea that there is a national cable news outlet that goes beyond having a point of view and actually starts to shill for partisan causes and actually starts to donate to partisan groups of one party."

And the political partisan buffroonry continues.

Olbermann gets suspended for good reason, and is exposed for his hypocrisy. Fox News gets exposed for being the sole voice of the right.

Neither network should be regarded as legit news anymore. And we all suffer for the lack of real journalism in the "news" anymore.

And the political partisan buffroonry continues.

Olbermann gets suspended for good reason, and is exposed for his hypocrisy. Fox News gets exposed for being the sole voice of the right.

Neither network should be regarded as legit news anymore. And we all suffer for the lack of real journalism in the "news" anymore.

Yep, even something as fundamental as informing us about current events has become perverted into a partisan and profit-making enterprise. Our backward evolution continues.

MSNBC liberal talk show host Keith Olbermann has been suspended indefinitely without pay from MSNBC after his boss learned he had violated newsroom policies by giving campaign contributions to three Democratic candidates for Congress.

That is the same Keith Olbermann who pummeled Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. for giving $1 million to the Republican Governors Association in order to buy "campaign influence."

:wacko::tup::tup::lol::lol::lol::(:(:(:):)

Pelosi and Olbermann in the same week.

Now if Barney Frank could just get run over by a bus.

No surprise here. After watching his (and Mathews and Madcows) awful, hyper-partisan snide attacks at anything conservative on election night if this is what MSNBC has to do to get rid of him then it's fine by me. My only beef is they should have canned him years ago.

No surprise here. After watching his (and Mathews and Madcows) awful, hyper-partisan snide attacks at anything conservative on election night if this is what MSNBC has to do to get rid of him then it's fine by me. My only beef is they should have canned him years ago.

Do you have an issue with the owner of Fox News giving a 1 million donation to the Republican Governors?

Do you have an issue with the owner of Fox News giving a 1 million donation to the Republican Governors?

Nope.

However, Olbermann violated his contract. Break a deal, face the wheel and his spin fell on "indefinite suspension".

Edited by tosberg34

Honestly, I could care less where people give campaign contributions. I'll be in the minority and think it's dumb for him to have gotten canned for it (outside of it being a breach of contract or other obvious legal issue). News companies are businesses and they can make contributions like any other business. Journalists are just people and they can contribute to whomever they please. Good journalists can seperate their subjective personal views from their objective responsibilities as journalists. I'm sure companies would rather avoid the perception of impropriety, and it's their right to set the rules of employment at their companies, but highlighting some relatively minor campaign contributions as evidence of partiality smacks of executives that haven't watched him make a career as a prototypical smarmy, sarcastic liberal shill.

Olbermann contributing to Democrats is just as shocking as Beck contributing to Republicans. It's not like either of them are objective, non-biased journalists. The whole things seems pretty stupid to me.

If he was killing the ratings, had the #1 show on cable, would MSNBC be suspending him or would this be lost in a maze of corporate investigation?

MSNBC liberal talk show host Keith Olbermann has been suspended indefinitely without pay from MSNBC after his boss learned he had violated newsroom policies by giving campaign contributions to three Democratic candidates for Congress.

That is the same Keith Olbermann who pummeled Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. for giving $1 million to the Republican Governors Association in order to buy "campaign influence."

This has nothing to do with buying campaign influence. The donations were for $2500.

Beck doesn't donate to any Politicians, whoever told you that is lying to you Deathpig.

The owner of Fox is a private citizen and can give to whomever he wants. Whichever side he was to donate to, he'll get flack from the other side, so he's screwed either way.

Does anyone have a problem with Immelt being on Obama's Economic Recovery Advisory Board? Immelt being the CEO of GE, GE owns MSNBC which is blatantly the most left wing, pro Obama news channel there is. GE stands to make Billions if Cap and Trade passes, and will also profit greatly if the Health Care Bill isn't repealed. Little bit of conflict of interest there, I'd say. And that's just the tip of the iceberg with this President.

Fox > CNN > PMSNBC

Beck doesn't donate to any Politicians, whoever told you that is lying to you Deathpig.

The owner of Fox is a private citizen and can give to whomever he wants. Whichever side he was to donate to, he'll get flack from the other side, so he's screwed either way.

Does anyone have a problem with Immelt being on Obama's Economic Recovery Advisory Board? Immelt being the CEO of GE, GE owns MSNBC which is blatantly the most left wing, pro Obama news channel there is. GE stands to make Billions if Cap and Trade passes, and will also profit greatly if the Health Care Bill isn't repealed. Little bit of conflict of interest there, I'd say. And that's just the tip of the iceberg with this President.

Fox > CNN > PMSNBC

If Murdoch is a private citizen, then so is Olberman.

You do remember the Cheney energy advisory committee, yes?

Cap and trade was abandoned the day after the election

Do try to keep up.

Do try to keep up.

You bring up Cheney. Again - in the past. Obama sold you guys on the whole hope and Change thing. People bought that and where is it? Keep bringing up the past and Bush and all of his issues but why can't you admit this guy sold people on a false bill of goods.

I will give Obama credit for one thing - people seem to stick by him. You don't have to become a conservative to admit Obama is not doing a good job.

Bush sucked and you find a lot of people admitting that - I am shocked by how many people won't own up to Obama doing a poor job.

Do try to keep up.

While it's possible to differentiate between Murdoch and Olbermann, it's more difficult to differentiate between Olbermann and Sean Hannity, who has donated to Republicans this year.

While it's possible to differentiate between Murdoch and Olbermann, it's more difficult to differentiate between Olbermann and Sean Hannity, who has donated to Republicans this year.

Olbermann sucks - Hannity sucks - Beck sucks - Limbaugh sucks

The only person I actually like to listen/watch is O'Reilly - yes he is conservative but I just don't get the annoying factor (no pun intended) from him as I do the other guys I mentioned.

Olbermann sucks - Hannity sucks - Beck sucks - Limbaugh sucks

The only person I actually like to listen/watch is O'Reilly - yes he is conservative but I just don't get the annoying factor (no pun intended) from him as I do the other guys I mentioned.

Also like Megan Kelly - She is got the hot kinda girl next door look - don't mind watching her at all - the volume can be up or down when she is on and it is still good.

You bring up Cheney. Again - in the past. Obama sold you guys on the whole hope and Change thing. People bought that and where is it? Keep bringing up the past and Bush and all of his issues but why can't you admit this guy sold people on a false bill of goods.

I will give Obama credit for one thing - people seem to stick by him. You don't have to become a conservative to admit Obama is not doing a good job.

Bush sucked and you find a lot of people admitting that - I am shocked by how many people won't own up to Obama doing a poor job.

I think the voters last Tuesday showed us how many :wacko: