[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A SAFETY issue the NFL has overlooked?

captain77

With all the talk about safety and head injuries in football I am very surprised that the safety of the referees has not been an issue. I know nothing too series regarding the referees has happened...YET but even a big referee like Ed Hochuli would sustain a serious injury if a player in full pads and helmet made contact with his head while trying to make a play on another player. Why does the NFL institute some kind of protective equipment for the refs? Something similar to what the refs in the NHL have to protect themselves. Nothing too big or intrusive just something for protection against incidental contact with men that are twice as big as them running full speed who are wearing pads and helmets.

Is it going to take a serious injury for them to even consider it?

Any thoughts?

I don't remember seeing any nasty ref collisions this season, either, but they certainly happen fairly often. Maybe the difference is that the NFL owners don't have millions of dollars invested in the refs like they do the players (also, I imagine, the NFLPA could care less; I assume the refs have their own, separate union).

And, yes, it unfortunately may take something like a fractured skull before anyone takes a serious look at it.

Edited by SatchDork

There is a big difference between the players, who are actively trying to pummel each other, and the referees, who are able to watch the play and can position themselves to get out of the way.

It is rare to see an official get injured, and REALLY rare to see an official get hurt with a head injury.

They shifted the umpire to behind the offensive line this year as too many were getting run over when they were behind the defensive line. I think they go back behind the DL in the last 5 minutes.

Yes, except in the last 2 minutes of the 2nd quarter, last 5 minutes of the 4th quarter, and when the ball is inside the 5-yard line.