[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Illinois Public schools

redrumjuice

Are they any good? They should be the best in the universe!

In all, over 14,000 teachers in this one state make more than 100,000 a year in salary. When you add in pension, health care, and other benefits (15 days a year of sick leave, payable upon retirement if not used), which can add another 40% or more to salary, these teachers are doing much better than most college professors and many doctors.

* A Phys Ed teacher $191,124 for a 9 month work year.

* 19 who made more over $1,000/day including 6 Phys Ed and three drama/music teachers.

* A Drivers Ed teacher who salary is $18,205/month to teach teenagers how to parallel park.

* Six teachers make more than the Governor's $177,500.

* Top 100 Teachers average $17,603 per month salary.

:tup:

OK rr, tell me how awesome these unions are. :wacko:

Are they any good? They should be the best in the universe!

:tup:

OK rr, tell me how awesome these unions are. :wacko:

So be thankful you don't live in Chi town. :tup:

ETA:

In answer to your original question...Pretty awesome! Look at the stats you posted. They did very well for the faculty. They are awesome! My daughter teaches there and she is awesome. Next question?

Edited by rocknrobn26

So be thankful you don't live in Chi town. :wacko:

ETA:

In answer to your original question...Pretty awesome! Look at the stats you posted. They did very well for the faculty. They are awesome! My daughter teaches there and she is awesome. Next question?

They did awesome at the taxpayer's expense. However, with that being said, I'm all for teachers getting paid well - if they do a good job. But I'm not sure how a Phys Ed teacher - even a good one - get's paid that much.

You want to know where the real scam is?: Check out Masters Degree programs in Education. I have heard rumors that the standard in the field is for colleges to accept almost everyone who applies and then give almost everyone an A in every class. Of course, then the teachers go back to their schools of employment and get a nice raise because they have the advanced degree.

You want to know where the real scam is?: Check out Masters Degree programs in Education. I have heard rumors that the standard in the field is for colleges to accept almost everyone who applies and then give almost everyone an A in every class. Of course, then the teachers go back to their schools of employment and get a nice raise because they have the advanced degree.

That's the system. A lot of these schools have so much involvement in the community that they aren't strapped for cash, and when you have graduating classes of 600+ in some schools, that's a lot of involvement from PTA's, etc...lots of cash raised in ways that the school can afford to pay into that "scam".

In answer to your original question...Pretty awesome! Look at the stats you posted. They did very well for the faculty. They are awesome!

Well then, I can only assume the fiscal policy of IL must be quite AWESOME as well!!!! HOoray for all!!!!

Oh damnit, here comes REALITY.

Illinois Replaces California As Most "Bankrupt" US State

Dangit! You had it so good to. :wacko: When you go bankrupt, and hold out your jewel encrusted claw for a piece of bread, I will spit on it.

Burn kommies, BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well then, I can only assume the fiscal policy of IL must be quite AWESOME as well!!!! HOoray for all!!!!

Oh damnit, here comes REALITY.

Illinois Replaces California As Most "Bankrupt" US State

Dangit! You had it so good to. :wacko: When you go bankrupt, and hold out your jewel encrusted claw for a piece of bread, I will spit on it.

Burn kommies, BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You really need professional help. Seriously.

On the heels of this... It has been my experience, from friends to people who were in school (grad and undergrad) at the same time as I, that people receiving education degrees, of any type, are not the most studious of people. That is not to say that all educators are morons, but, I have seen my share receive degrees in this course of study that probably should not have graduated at all. The attrition rate in other courses of study seemed to be much higher than it did in the education curriculum.

Also, education has become a joke, at all levels, over the past few decades. There are people in Universities now that NEVER would have been accepted 15 to 20 years ago. Even worse, these people manage to graduate. Grades are handed to students in many cases, rather than the grade being earned. I think this is most apparent in high schools here in GA. There have been quite a few cases over the years where valedictorians have scored too low on nationally administered standardized tests and graduation exams to get into even the most mundane of state universities. Much of our grade inflation here has come on the heels of the lottery funded HOPE scholarship, where if you have a "B" or better average your university tuition is paid for and so long as you maintain a "B" or better average in college the free cash keeps flowing. No teacher/professor wants to be the one responsible for some poor kid having to withdraw or be unable to go to college due to their giving the student a lower mark, it is sad, really.

Another example that encapsulates the blatant disregard for true educational achievement is the cheating scandal going on in a number of counties here in GA with regard to the nationally mandated achievement tests administered to elementary and middle school children. It has been found, after a statewide investigation, that rampant cheating occurred where teachers and administrators, after the children had filled out their exams, went through the exams with the students and gave them the correct answers to the questions prior to submitting those exams to be graded.

Much of public education is a scam today.

ETA:

If you really want to look at the sad state of where our education system is today, simply look at where the US ranks on dollars spent and where they grade out on international exams, it is pathetic and it is not all attributed to bad parenting.

Edited by SEC=UGA

On the heels of this... It has been my experience, from friends to people who were in school (grad and undergrad) at the same time as I, that people receiving education degrees, of any type, are not the most studious of people. That is not to say that all educators are morons, but, I have seen my share receive degrees in this course of study that probably should not have graduated at all.
Yep, we often joke that if our students aren't smart enough to pass their economics classes, then they can go into marketing... and if they aren't smart enough to pass their marketing classes, then they can go into education
No teacher/professor wants to be the one responsible for some poor kid having to withdraw or be unable to go to college due to their giving the student a lower mark, it is sad, really.
Perhaps not, but I don't lose sleep over it if it ever works out that a student of mine loses a scholarship because they didn't do well in my class. This is for two reasons: 1) any reasonably intelligent person ought to be able to pass my class if they at least put in a basic amount of effort & 2) anytime one student gets a scholarship it means that that scholarship is not available to some other student. I would feel guilty taking money away from a deserving student if I artificially passed a student who didn't deserve to pass with a good grade. Edited by wiegie

2) anytime one student gets a scholarship it means that that scholarship is not available to some other student. I would feel guilty taking money away from a deserving student if I artificially passed a student who didn't deserve to pass with a good grade.

The HOPE scholarship here in GA is available to ANY student with a B or better average. HOPE is quickly going bankrupt due to the overwhelming number of students that have this B or better average, as well as some misappropriation of funds.

With the HOPE scholarship ensuring one student maintains the scholarship through grade inflation doesn't preclude another student from receiving the scholarship.

It is sort of a nuanced thing that is unlike "typical"scholarships with a "finite"pool of money per year (though in reality there is a finite pool of money as it is based on proceeds from lottery ticket sales. Legislators failed to consider the whole grade inflation angle making more students eligible when setting up this program)

Legislators failed to consider the whole grade inflation angle making more students eligible when setting up this program)

grade inflation is a bad thing. love it when a parent calls screaming at me because the kid earned a c- and they think that if they scream at me /call the principal i will change it. I wont , but i have had principals change them.

If you really want to look at the sad state of where our education system is today, simply look at where the US ranks on dollars spent and where they grade out on international exams, it is pathetic and it is not all attributed to bad parenting.

thats woohy in many different ways but i am not going to go into statistics for different regions of the country. When you start using testing as the only criteria, things get messy.

i would bet that 90% of people in business would not last one quarter teaching a High School class of there choice. Even if they were given 4 years of education training. Shiiit i think its something like 50% or more of those that graduate in an education field don't last for more that 2 years.

thats woohy in many different ways but i am not going to go into statistics for different regions of the country. When you start using testing as the only criteria, things get messy.

When we are being beaten in test scores by the likes of Sri Lanka, Croatia, etc... I really don't care what the "excuses" are.

i would bet that 90% of people in business would not last one quarter teaching a High School class of there choice.

You sound like chef-boy-R-dee who brags about making toast.

Hey donald trump, they give you a 'teachers edition' with the answers for a reason. Most of the teachers I have encountered I wouldn't trust to valet my car, let alone teach my kids.

In your world where you are the judge at the spelling bee I am sure everything is perfect. :wacko:

aren't you "in education?" :wacko:

I am talking about the college of education (as opposed to things like, the college of engineering, the college of arts and sciences, etc.)

Now, in fairness, there are some smart kids who major in education... but there are a disproportionate number of dumb ones there too.

Edited by wiegie

i would bet that 90% of people in business would not last one quarter teaching a High School class of there choice. Even if they were given 4 years of education training.

I bet they could hang in there for a quarter. I'm betting they couldn't make it past a year though.

When we are being beaten in test scores by the likes of Sri Lanka, Croatia, etc... I really don't care what the "excuses" are.

collage kids scores don't mean just order the fish for goodness sake. Ask anyone running a business... as a matter of fact either do standardized high school test, that why it is not the only criteria to get into the top schools . Stay in Georgia I am sure you are in the top 5% there.

i would bet that 90% of people in business would not last one quarter teaching a High School class of there choice. Even if they were given 4 years of education training. Shiiit i think its something like 50% or more of those that graduate in an education field don't last for more that 2 years.

I could probably handle a high school class - wouldn't even try jr high though.

On the heels of this... It has been my experience, from friends to people who were in school (grad and undergrad) at the same time as I, that people receiving education degrees, of any type, are not the most studious of people. That is not to say that all educators are morons, but, I have seen my share receive degrees in this course of study that probably should not have graduated at all. The attrition rate in other courses of study seemed to be much higher than it did in the education curriculum.

Also, education has become a joke, at all levels, over the past few decades. There are people in Universities now that NEVER would have been accepted 15 to 20 years ago. Even worse, these people manage to graduate. Grades are handed to students in many cases, rather than the grade being earned. I think this is most apparent in high schools here in GA. There have been quite a few cases over the years where valedictorians have scored too low on nationally administered standardized tests and graduation exams to get into even the most mundane of state universities. Much of our grade inflation here has come on the heels of the lottery funded HOPE scholarship, where if you have a "B" or better average your university tuition is paid for and so long as you maintain a "B" or better average in college the free cash keeps flowing. No teacher/professor wants to be the one responsible for some poor kid having to withdraw or be unable to go to college due to their giving the student a lower mark, it is sad, really.

Another example that encapsulates the blatant disregard for true educational achievement is the cheating scandal going on in a number of counties here in GA with regard to the nationally mandated achievement tests administered to elementary and middle school children. It has been found, after a statewide investigation, that rampant cheating occurred where teachers and administrators, after the children had filled out their exams, went through the exams with the students and gave them the correct answers to the questions prior to submitting those exams to be graded.

Much of public education is a scam today.

ETA:

To be fair, if you can read when you graduate high school in Georgia, you are automatically a Valedictorian. The bar is set so low it is underground. :wacko:

The problem doesnt lie with the teachers, it lies with the power of their union reps and the legislative bodies that dictate their pay scales.

Hell, the pensions are actually written into the state constitution of Illinois for teachers!

Teachers do not have an easy job by any means. But the current system is not the fault of the majority of teachers today. This is having to dig out from failed policies of yesteryear . . . .

collage kids scores don't mean just order the fish for goodness sake. Ask anyone running a business... as a matter of fact either do standardized high school test, that why it is not the only criteria to get into the top schools . Stay in Georgia I am sure you are in the top 5% there.

First, you are only bolstering my argument about how piss poor of a job teachers do at educating our children

Second, nationally, I am much higher than the top 5%.

Third, I'll challenge you to a spelling contest any day of the week.

Fourth, the exams I am referencing are taken by K-12 students.

Fifth, you find a kid with "average" grades and test scores from HS entering the top colleges I'll let you use a dictionary in our spelling contest.

Sixth, ask a partner at one of the major consulting firms if grades don't make a difference with regard to who they hire.

Seventh, if as an educator you don't realize serious issues exist with regard to math, science and reading comprehension skills, you are a bigger part of the problem than I imagined.

I would give what you wrote a D-. Well written sir.

I would stick to your one liners and :wacko: - they don't make you look as bad.