[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

odd medical question

polksalet

I have pneumonia. Today I completed the most vicious cardio workout of my life and had no side effects other than the same throbbing in my upper left chest that I've had for a few days. Tonight it started hurting pretty good to I went to see doc. It turns out I have pneumonia in the same part of the same lung I had almost exactly one year ago. He gave me Z pachk generic and prednisone. Here is the question.

The dosage direction on box of prednisone says "take as directed".

Seriously? What does that mean?

fwiw I have 80 10mg doses. everything I read online says normal dose is around 20mg/day. If that is the case I take it for 24 days. BUT everything also says that you create dependence issues if you take for over 7 days. I've no idea what to do here.

Our new computer system won't let us write "take as directed" on prescriptions, and your situation is another example of why they set it up that way. Your doc should've made the dosage instructions very clear to you. Prednisone is given to patients with pneumonia to reduce the bronchospasm (wheezing) that can occur secondary to the inflammation from the infection. My patients take it over 5 days and taper the dose quickly (60mg the first day, 40mg the second day, 20mg the third, 10mg the fourth, & 5mg the fifth).

Every Z pack I've ever taken starts with a high dosage and tapers down over a week. Something like 6 or 7 the first day and then one less. Mine have had the dosage written in the foil that holds the pills. It's strange that they'd give you one without any info.

Take your weight as a % of the 'average weight' and multiply by the 'average dose' (20mg) and take that amount ... and then call 'em in the morning.

:tup:

Yep that's what I did and it was correct

Doc, this is a 14 day program :wacko: and I'm thinking about shutting it down after 5 days.

Square, I am taking the z pack along with the prednisone.

My patients take it over 5 days and taper the dose quickly (60mg the first day, 40mg the second day, 20mg the third, 10mg the fourth, & 5mg the fifth).

Sort of the same dosage instructions for Syphilis, Polk

Edited by cliaz

Every Z pack I've ever taken starts with a high dosage and tapers down over a week. Something like 6 or 7 the first day and then one less. Mine have had the dosage written in the foil that holds the pills. It's strange that they'd give you one without any info.

I think he's talking about the Prednisone.

I have pneumonia. Today I completed the most vicious cardio workout of my life and had no side effects other than the same throbbing in my upper left chest that I've had for a few days. Tonight it started hurting pretty good to I went to see doc. It turns out I have pneumonia in the same part of the same lung I had almost exactly one year ago. He gave me Z pachk generic and prednisone. Here is the question.

The dosage direction on box of prednisone says "take as directed".

Seriously? What does that mean?

fwiw I have 80 10mg doses. everything I read online says normal dose is around 20mg/day. If that is the case I take it for 24 days. BUT everything also says that you create dependence issues if you take for over 7 days. I've no idea what to do here.

You will need to be tapered off the prednisone...the doc should have given you explicit directions on how much to take and for how long etc.

edit: chargerz beat me to the answer

edit2: the prednisone can really pack the weight on you too...I have been on it now for a little over 8 weeks and have put on 30 LBs during that time...first 4 weeks was 20mg/day and the last 4 weeks have been 10mg/day...i can't wait to get off this crap

Edited by keggerz