[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Nicknames

electricrelish

Here is a list of known nicknames for current 2010 NFL players. Add to the list if you see some that I am missing. The nicknames should be actual names that have stuck, rather than just one that a writer invented for one article, broadcast or message board post that didn't necessarily stick. Some players also have nicknames from college that didn't necessarily carry over to the NFL.

• Devin Aromashodu - DA His initials
  • Marion Barber - Marion the Barbarian Because of his physical running style and reputation for repeatedly breaking tackles
  • Brett Favre - The Gunslinger Willingness to sling the ball anywhere at anytime
  • Larry Fitzgerald - Fitz Shortened name
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick - Fitz Shortened name, The Amish Rifle Bills players gave him this nickname due to the fact that he looks Amish with his beard.
  • BenJarvis Green-Ellis The Law Firm Reference to his long name that resemble the name of an attorney's firm
  • Todd Heap The Stormin Mormon - Chris Berman called him this, and so have many others, G.I. Joe - it's a nickname he likes to be called
  • DeSean Jackson DJAX Shortened name
  • Fred Jackson FJAX Shortened name
  • Steven Jackson SJAX Shortened name
  • Vincent Jackson VJAX Shortened name
  • Calvin Johnson Megatron Teammate Roy Williams nicknamed him "Megatron", due to his large hands being similar to that of a Transformers character, CJ2 - His initials plus 2 because Chad Johnson was CJ at the time
  • Chris Johnson Every Coach's Dream Self-bestowed name, CJ2K His intials plus a reference to his 2,000 plus rushing yard total in 2009, CJ424 His initials plus a reference to his 40-yard dash record breaking time at the NFL Combines, Baby Blue Jesus Refers to Titans team color and a response to Adrian Peterson's nickname Purple Jesus, CJIII His intials plus 3 because CJ was Chad Johnson and CJ2 was Calvin Johnson
  • Adam Jones Pac-Man His mother gave it to him when he was a young child, saying that he would drink his milk as fast as the video game character Pac-Man.
  • Maurice Jones-Drew MJD His initials, Mighty Mouse Reference to his strength and small size in height 5-7, Pocket Hercules Reference to his strength and small size in height 5-7
  • Marshawn Lynch Beast Mode Self-imposed name. He explained it on ESPN: “Being a beast to me is fourth-and-one, they know you’re running the ball, you know you’re running the ball, the people over in China watching the game know you’re running the ball, you get the ball and you go get that first down.”
  • Brandon Marshall The Beast For his fierce play
  • Darren McFadden Run DMC Play on his name and rap group's name, D-Mac - Shortened name
  • LeSean McCoy Shady Got the nickname from his mom. As a youngster, he had a shady attitude and his mom called him Shady.
  • Shawn Merriam Lights Out Because of his reputation of being a hard hitter; has been shortened to "Lights" by teammates in interviews
  • Maurice Morris MoMo
  • Chad OchoCinco Ocho Cinco Self-bestowed pidgin Spanish reference to his uniform number (85); originally named Chad Johnson, legally changed name to "Chad Ochocinco" in 2008. Also self-refers as "Esteban Ochocinco"
  • Terrell Owens TO His initials
  • Adrian Peterson AP His initials, AD (All Day) Dad gave him the nickname, Purple Jesus Savior to the Vikings
  • Darrelle Revis Revis Island His ability to cover wide receivers was compared to being stranded on an island by Ocho Cinco
  • Ben Roethlisberger Big Ben Reference to his large size (height: 6-5, weight: 241 lbs), Rapelisberger - Reference to being accused of rape two times during his career
  • Matt Ryan Matty Ice A play on the nickname for Natural Ice beer, "Natty Ice" which also refers to his ability to remain cool under pressure
  • Jonathan Stewart The Daily Show - Reference to television show host Jon Stewart
  • Michael Turner Burner Given both because of his speed and ability to break long runs and because it rhymes with his last name. Got the name in college.
  • LaDainian Tomlinson LT His initials, LT2 His intials distinguished from the original LT, Lawrence Taylor
  • Carnell Williams Cadillac Nickname came from a TV sportscaster in Alabama for the style and the way he ran...he was a notch above everyone on the field
  • Chris Wells Beanie Wells is quoted as saying, "I got the nickname because when I was young, my big brother said I was skinny like a bean pole."
  • Mike Williams (SEA) BMW Big Mike Williams

Edited by electricrelish

Found these on Wikipedia or other places on the Internet, but I have never heard them used on a regular basis. Can anyone confirm if these are well known nicknames that are still used.

• Flozell Adams The Hotel His 6-7, 340-pound frame
  • Tom Brady California Cool Name given to Tom Brady of the New England Patriots. Given because of a combination of his coolness in the pocket to pull off comeback victories, and also because he is from California.), Captain America (ESPN refers to him with this nickname sometimes)
  • Trent Edwards Captain Checkdown (Name given to quarterback Trent Edwards for his refusal to throw the deep ball, prefering instead to dump off to running backs or tight ends.)
  • Maurice Jones-Drew The Human Bowling Ball, Mojo Drew
  • Frank Gore Action Frank His play making ability, also a reference to "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" character, The Inconvenient Truth (Reference to similarly surnamed Al Gore's film and book An Inconvenient Truth)
  • James Harrison Deebo His similarity in appearance and demeanor to the character in the movie Friday played by Tom Lister, Jr., Silverback His strength, which is likened to that of a silverback gorilla
  • Devin Hester Anytime His ability to return kicks and punts for touchdowns any time. Inspired from his mentor Deion "PrimeTime" Sanders, Windy City Flyer and Miami Missile Hester's speed and a nickname for the city of Chicago, in which he plays; bestowed by WBBM 780 radio-announcer Jeff Joniak
  • Darren McFadden 501, D-Dawg, Humanity Advanced
  • Randy Moss Freak His freakish athletic abilities, The Mossiah The Savior for the Vikings. In his rookie year, Moss led the Vikings towards one of the most powerful offenses in the NFL.)
  • Chad Pennington Porcelain Pennington Derogatory reference to his repeated season-ending injuries
  • Wes Welker Slot Machine His effectiveness lining up between the split end/flanker and the linemen (i.e. "the slot")

Edited by electricrelish

Ryan Fitzpatrick: Bills call him Fitz. Carson Palmer called him Rhino. Don't know if that qualifies.

Was/is Todd Heap "The stormin' Mormon"?

Edited by satelliteoflovegm

Most people I know call him Rapelisberger. Even people from Pitt. Can I get an amen?

I just found a website called rapelisberger.com, so you may be correct. They sell T-shirts with that name. If they have T-shirts, then the name has stuck. I've added it.

Edited by electricrelish

That's funny. I can't find any sources for this one. Is that something perhaps more local? The nicknames I found on the web for him were Hass and Joe. Neither of those are too well known.

Something more between my seahawks friends that I just thought I'd share.