[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guitar Players/Collectors

Brentastic

I don't play electric guitar much these days but I've been wanting this particular guitar for the last decade. The guitar is a 1962 Martin F-65 and they pop up on ebay every once in awhile but the bids usually carry well over $2k and it's hard to justify spending that much on an instrument that probably won't be played very often. I feel like I got a GREAT deal on this - I won the auction for $1225 which is about half of what they normally go for.

Being primarily an acoustic player, I've always been intrigued by the Martin electrics of the early 60s. I know the main source of tone on an electric would be the electronics but on a semi-hollow body (which this is) I believe the build of the guitar factors more into the tone and since Martin made it, I believe this enhances the tone. To my eye it's the most beautiful electric guitar I've ever seen. Yeah, I know you don't buy guitars for looks but IF it plays well AND it looks amazing, it's the best of both worlds. I played one of these once and the tone was pristine and I've wanted one ever since. My previous 'baby' for electric was a custom made Gibson ES-335 but I had to sell that about 10 years ago after a divorce - but that guitar is the same style which is what I prefer (semi-hollow body).

So, if you're interested you can read about my newly purchased (but not yet received) F-65 here: http://www.amarshall.com/?page_id=352

You can see the exact one I bought from the ebay page here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...RK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Anyways, just wanted to share my uber excitement with some other guitarists. I'd love to hear if anyone else has the guitar of their dreams either for playability or collectibility. I am not a collector but the vintage aspect of this guitar makes it even that much more exciting. We need more guitar talk on here and I know there are at least a dozen guitarists, so bring on some stories!

E2A: Here are some better pics of this model. They were all the same color and these pics are more professional and show the guitar better:

http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/40U-4531.htm

Edited by Brentastic

Given the mods from original and the issues with the case it's not surprising that the price is less than all original versions. However, I think you still got a great deal on a fabulous guitar. I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it.

Given the mods from original and the issues with the case it's not surprising that the price is less than all original versions. However, I think you still got a great deal on a fabulous guitar. I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it.

I don't think that's the reason because the only 'relative' mod was the tone pot knob. Out of all these I've seen, I don't think the original bridge is ever on there, the original tuners are still with the guitar and a case is a case. Either way, as you said, it's a great deal and I'm happy as a pig in diaper dirt to own this puppy. Can't wait to finger her strings :wacko: